Huddo's COMMENTS - If it was any other side in the comp Ryan GAMBLE would be a starter !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Vegas, he should'nt have been dropped in the first place earlier in the year IMO. (Or was it forced with injury?)
If I recall correctly,he was rested after the pies game (only 4-5poss) and then got injured in the Vfl. The kid has immense potential and will develop into a very good player.
Like Taylor,Prismal and Hawkins has contributed well when promoted but is not yet in our best 22 when everyone is fit. At 20 has not fully developed and will get better and better with a few more pre-seasons in him.
But agree that he is a very exciting prospect. :)

Gamble is the ingredient that has been missing, its the difference from a good solid forward line to a potent forward line. Each match we should go with Mooney and Longergan/N. Ablett/Hawkins as the two talls but Vegas as a mid sized target poses two challenges for opposition

1) He will out mark a small defender
2) His alot more agile than most tall defenders

His a hard match up add in the like of Mooney, Stokes, Johnson, Chapman, Varcoeand Longergan we have a great forward line that can present many targets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love his game, he is a prototypical medium forward athletically as described. Quick, agile, great leap, good mark, is just as useful in a pack as standing in front of one and doesn't need a 'run' in the seniors to have a real impact. I wish we could put him in the lineup every week

Good to see Ryan snag a few thru on the weekend. From my town so ill support him.

Definately would be in most if not all other teams 18 or at the very least 22. Though there are a a lot of Cats fringe players in the same boat.

gamble>varcoe

it is an absolute crime that trav is selected before him most weeks. hopefully selectors see the light after yet another below average game from varcoe.

gamble>varcoe

it is an absolute crime that trav is selected before him most weeks. hopefully selectors see the light after yet another below average game from varcoe.

That's like comparing apples to oranges. Varcoe is in the side to put defensive pressure in our forwardline and harrass the ball carrier on the way out of our forward line, and generally plays at half forward and works into the centre. Gamble is a lead-up marking target who plays predominately in the forward 50. Completely different roles.

That's like comparing apples to oranges. Varcoe is in the side to put defensive pressure in our forwardline and harrass the ball carrier on the way out of our forward line, and generally plays at half forward and works into the centre. Gamble is a lead-up marking target who plays predominately in the forward 50. Completely different roles.

gamble provides decent forward line pressure, i dont think that the fact that he is capable of kicking a goal should go against him.

varcoe picks cherries and lays a few tackles, gamble is a promising talent with real goal kicking ability, and his commitment cannot be questioned.

and as for the apples and oranges argument, didnt vegas come in for wojac? figure that out...

gamble provides decent forward line pressure, i dont think that the fact that he is capable of kicking a goal should go against him.

varcoe picks cherries and lays a few tackles, gamble is a promising talent with real goal kicking ability, and his commitment cannot be questioned.

and as for the apples and oranges argument, didnt vegas come in for wojac? figure that out...

Gamble was dropped after the Collingwood game when the entire team played crap. Up until then he was outperforming Hawkins. Played better than Lonergan has (performed when the side was coasting) and is without doubt more valuable than Varcoe.

Should be a walk up starter. Obviously isn't priority for getting opportunities. Then again he's only 20yrs old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Huddo's COMMENTS - If it was any other side in the comp Ryan GAMBLE would be a starter !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back