Injury Hugh Goddard ruptures Achilles, out for the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad to see big Hugh injured like that. I wish him a speedy recovery as I think, as we all do, that he is an important part of our next tilt.

To all those in the know, is an achilles rupture in athletes just a result of sudden tendon overload? Just wondering if it's possible that Hugh's slow start to the season may have been a result of weakness/pain in the achilles tendon.

I was pretty down when Roughead did his achilles, because it just seems to come out of the blue, and at the time there were players who had done achilles in the past who didn't return to form. From what I've heard since then there is a way to monitor the achilles though, so when Goddard returns he will probably be scanned regularly. Anyway, I hope he returns from it as well as Roughead did, effectively only missed half a season.

Sad to see big Hugh injured like that. I wish him a speedy recovery as I think, as we all do, that he is an important part of our next tilt.

To all those in the know, is an achilles rupture in athletes just a result of sudden tendon overload? Just wondering if it's possible that Hugh's slow start to the season may have been a result of weakness/pain in the achilles tendon.

The most common cause is age: athletes over 30 are at a greater risk because of reduced blood-flow to that area over time (think blokes like David Beckham, Steve Smith Snr. in the NFL).

In younger players like Hugh/Roughy/Swallow etc. it often seems to come out of the blue. I'm sure they'll look into it though and see if there were tendinitis issues or any other warnings (or like you said, training loads etc.).

The most common cause is age: athletes over 30 are at a greater risk because of reduced blood-flow to that area over time (think blokes like David Beckham, Steve Smith Snr. in the NFL).

In younger players like Hugh/Roughy/Swallow etc. it often seems to come out of the blue. I'm sure they'll look into it though and see if there were tendinitis issues or any other warnings (or like you said, training loads etc.).
Kobe Bryant did his at age 34 and wasn't the same player after it, although his age and his body breaking down probably had something to do with that.

I did mine 2 years ago playing footy, it's a really nasty injury and the rehab was exhausting. Sure it's not an ACL but it isn't much better.

Good news is he's a professional and will be able to give his body the best chance of recovery.

Bad news is it can be one of those injuries that can change the path of a players career: simply some never show the same ability again.

This will be a bit of a nerve-wracking wait until we see him out on the park again.

I couldn't like the post but wanted to say good post in terms of an insight into what the poor kid has to go through.

Kobe Bryant did his at age 34 and wasn't the same player after it, although his age and his body breaking down probably had something to do with that.

Yeah exactly, I reckon anytime you're an old fella over 30 and do it you're never gonna be the same player again when you come back. Arian Foster is 29 and coming back from one: be interesting to see how he goes after getting cut by the Texans and as a running back.

It seems quite a common injury in the NFL, especially to the linemen.

Really praying Hugh comes back like Roughy and we've all forgotten about it in a couple of years.

I couldn't like the post but wanted to say good post in terms of an insight into what the poor kid has to go through.

Yeah, it's a long way back and I'm sure the poor kid got a shock when his leg blew out like it did with no contact coming from the opposition (my surgeon was saying you think you get kicked or shot in the leg when it happens and turn around to see no one is there... that is pretty accurate).

But with his age his prognosis will be good and he's obviously going to get the best possible treatment available. It's just such a shame for him that it happened and he'll have a few mental demons to slay when he starts trying to sprint run etc.

Yeah, it's a long way back and I'm sure the poor kid got a shock when his leg blew out like it did with no contact coming from the opposition (my surgeon was saying you think you get kicked or shot in the leg when it happens and turn around to see no one is there... that is pretty accurate).

But with his age his prognosis will be good and he's obviously going to get the best possible treatment available. It's just such a shame for him that it happened and he'll have a few mental demons to slay when he starts trying to sprint run etc.

If I was a friend or family i would be saying well mate at least it happened to you now when you're young as opposed to when you're 29. He comes across as a confident and intense guy - a Goddard so I'm sure he'll have the support network in place and I'm certain he'll work his way through it and come out the other side

What happened in your case? Did you recover ok? Were you able to play sport again - at the same level?

If I was a friend or family i would be saying well mate at least it happened to you now when you're young as opposed to when you're 29. He comes across as a confident and intense guy - a Goddard so I'm sure he'll have the support network in place and I'm certain he'll work his way through it and come out the other side

What happened in your case? Did you recover ok? Were you able to play sport again - at the same level?

I did mine at 34 playing footy running at full pace and have never played any sport since (am 36 now). Pretty much the main thing I had going for me was pace and the problem is psychologically to come back from your leg blowing out like that is hard especially when you take away what has always been your biggest weapon. Getting an injury like that for your average non-pro like me is always worse too because with surgery and 8 weeks in plaster and loads of rehab after that, it disrupted my travel with work so much that me and the wife realised that, as much as I loved sport, the risk of getting injured wasn't worth it and I hung up the boots.

It's not so bad though, there's always your memories, golf and sport video games get more realistic by the year as well :D!

I did mine at 34 playing footy running at full pace and have never played any sport since (am 36 now). Pretty much the main thing I had going for me was pace and the problem is psychologically to come back from your leg blowing out like that is hard especially when you take away what has always been your biggest weapon. Getting an injury like that for your average non-pro like me is always worse too because with surgery and 8 weeks in plaster and loads of rehab after that, it disrupted my travel with work so much that me and the wife realised that, as much as I loved sport, the risk of getting injured wasn't worth it and I hung up the boots.

It's not so bad though, there's always your memories, golf and sport video games get more realistic by the year as well :D!

Firstly sorry to hear about your situation - that sucks!! Yes terrible for speed...

Agreed on the replacements - golf especially. I played league cricket both here and in Surrey and as I got to 40 I had to give it up. I had a bad break up when I was 35 and friends suggested that I needed more hobbies in order to take my mind of her etc so I wholly concentrated on golf. Lessons and the whole nine yards! Another relationship has passed since then I'm now single (and happy) again and am once again a golf tragic. Golf is the answer my friend.

Firstly sorry to hear about your situation - that sucks!! Yes terrible for speed...

Agreed on the replacements - golf especially. I played league cricket both here and in Surrey and as I got to 40 I had to give it up. I had a bad break up when I was 35 and friends suggested that I needed more hobbies in order to take my mind of her etc so I wholly concentrated on golf. Lessons and the whole nine yards! Another relationship has passed since then I'm now single (and happy) again and am once again a golf tragic. Golf is the answer my friend.

Ha ha, hear you on golf have taken it up much more since the injury. I figure by the time we hit 70 we'll be half decent at it :p.

Yeah a friend had it happen playing a charity footy match. It rolled up like a cartoon roller blind. He fell over and people thought he was being funny everyone was laughing while he was squealing and moaning rolling on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back