Senior Hugh McCluggage (2016-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Two mates enjoying the journey together
The Brisbane teammates first met as 16-year-old’s in the North Ballarat Rebels TAC Cup program before boarding together at Ballarat Clarendon College, where their friendship blossomed. But it was slow-going for Berry and McCluggage in the early days, with Berry admitting the Lions’ Round 14 Rising Star nominee took a while to warm to him.

“He didn’t say a word to me until we started boarding together,” Berry told Aflplayers.com.au. “It took two terms to get something out of him because he’s such a shy kid and he kept to himself. “But once you get to know him, he doesn’t shut up and now he’s flat out all the time.”

Berry and McCluggage’s route to the AFL began in the TAC Cup and extended to high school, before they found themselves at the same club on draft night. McCluggage, who was taken by Brisbane with the third pick last November, was in high demand that night when he realised his best mate was joining him up north, which was a special moment for the teenagers.

“Hugh was out the back with the media at the time, but when he walked out where the draft was taking place I still remember him giving me the double fist pump when he saw me. “He came over and gave me a big hug. We couldn’t wipe the smiles off our faces, it was an awesome moment. “The whole situation of having Hugh with me has made the process of moving to Brisbane easier. It’s comforting because that interstate trip is a pretty big thing for a lot of kids so to have a best mate alongside you experiencing the same things is the best support network.”

As far as his football was concerned, Berry always knew McCluggage was a serious talent. A particular game against Bendigo in Round 5 stands out, where McCluggage kicked five goals and had a heap of the footy. While the buzz around his draft prospects were building and he was in contention to be taken with the first selection in the 2016 draft, it only seemed to enhance his performances at junior level.

“I think he quietly thrived on all the hype,” Berry added. “He went about his business and was as focused as they come and he let his game do most of the talking. Week-in, week-out he’d be performing and getting best on grounds at each level and showing why he’d be right up there in the draft. “While he’s a quiet kid off the field, he was a dominant force on it.”

Fast-forward to last pre-season and the pair both managed to sustain injuries before the start of the season, with Berry having knee surgery and McCluggage nursing an ankle issue. A simultaneous AFL debut seemed unlikely, but as has been the situation throughout their careers so far, the duo wore Brisbane colours for the first time alongside one another in Round 3. The trend of sharing key footy milestones continued as they sung the Lions theme song together for the first time against Fremantle a few weeks ago.

Unsurprisingly, Berry and McCluggage also live together and share a with Harris Andrews, who the pair have termed ‘dad’ because he’s the mature one of the household despite being only a year older than themselves. Berry and McCluggage are enjoying their time together despite McCluggage knowing how to push Berry’s buttons. And while Berry concedes the two do argue every now and again — like most mates do — the significance of their journeys isn’t lost on the 19-year-old.

“It’s funny how everything has panned out. What we’ve been through together is a good story and we’ve capped it off this year by playing our first games together, too,” Berry said. “You don’t really expect all this to happen the way it has. It’s been unbelievable and it couldn’t have been more fun.”
BerryMcWebAFLPlayr.jpg

Young Lions making early impression
BRISBANE are hoping their future can make another mark on the present against Essendon at Etihad Stadium today. With Dayne Beams injured and Dayne Zorko and Daniel Rich nowhere to be seen against GWS last week it was a trio of draftees playing together for the first time that rose to the occasion.

The Lions’ have been bullish about their draft class of 2016 from the night they called their names and last weekend Hugh McCluggage (3), Jarrod Berry (19) and Alex Witherden (23) on debut showed why.

McCluggage won the Rising Star nomination last week but in truth the trio could have raffled it.

Recruiter Stephen Conole said ball use was one thing he had valued highly while rating the draft crop last year.

It was a combination, we were looking for talent first and foremost, then it was character, they are all great individuals and each have had to show some resilience through certain aspects over the past year or so, and we were very impressed with that,” he said.

“Then we were looking at their ball use, it was very good at under-18s level and they have been able to produce that in senior footy.” While McCluggage was always going to go in the top three, Witherden slid down the draft order after breaking his leg early in his final U18s year. He said the Lions thought Witherden and McCluggage had been “tracking along the same path”.
1d77a4fbcf6ec92b32055194e1f2a2be

Top 25 AFL Prospects – July 2017 – Numbers 1 – 10
9. Hugh McCluggage

Previous ranking:

Movement: -1

Games played: 13

Average fantasy score: 60

Strengths: elite skills, decision making and composure

Last season’s number 3 pick, McCluggage has had a decent first year for the Lions, highlighted by the round 14 Rising Star nomination which saw him collect 19 disposals, 8 marks and 9 score involvements in the Lions’ lost to GWS.

Unlike some of the other players on this prospect list who have benefitted from playing in a strong side, McCluggage has at times struggled by reason of the Lions’ poor performances and lack of protection he can sometimes be afforded, however that has not stopped him from showing off his high-ceiling potential as he averages 15 disposals and 4 marks per game. Following another year in the gym, McCluggage has a high-ceiling that will allow him to impact games more than others on this list.

Lions out to ruin Dogs’ finals charge
GUN Brisbane draftee Hugh McCluggage says the Lions have no fears of the Western Bulldogs and want to ruin their premiership defence at the Gabba. Brisbane have been bolstered by the return of Dayne Zorko from suspension and defender Dan McStay from a shoulder injury as well as teenagers McCluggage, Jarrod Berry and Eric Hipwood who were all rested for last week’s trip to Perth.

The club’s top draft pick last year at No.3, McCluggage said the trio supported the club’s decision to give them a rest. He believes Brisbane could get on a roll over the last month and not only avoid the wooden spoon but also shape the final eight. The last time the Lions played the Bulldogs they lead by 32 points at half-time before running out of steam in the final quarter.

“We think we are in a good spot to give it a good crack,’’ McCluggage said. “They have won their last couple and are trying to make a run into finals, but hopefully we can break that and ruin it for them. “We were in front half way through the last quarter last time before we faded out and we feel like we’re playing better as a team now. “We want to improve and every win shows we are growing as a team, we feel we have got a good chance to win a few more games before the end of the season. “I have only seen positive signs about where we are heading ever since I got here.’’

McCluggage says he has been reasonably content with his first season in the AFL but was hoping for greater consistency. “It is a pretty crazy time in your first year at a club, I have really learnt a lot,’’ he said. “I probably wasn’t as consistent as I wanted in the first half of the season but I have played some decent games and I think I can continue to build over the final month.’’

The family man feeling at home in Brisbane: The Lions have found a keeper in Jarrod Berry
Brisbane has recruited someone with leadership potential written all over him. The trick — as it has been with the Lions of late — will be keeping him long enough to anoint him. Although with Berry’s best mate Hugh McCluggage also at the club, they’re halfway there. McCluggage was taken with the Lions’ first draft pick (No. 3) in 2016, with Berry selected at the next opportunity with pick No. 17. The schoolmates are now housemates in a balmy city that’s a far cry from country Victoria.

“We pretty much do everything together,” Berry says. “We fight like brothers. He’s a brother from another mother. We live pretty much out of each other’s pockets.”

And like all brothers, Berry doesn’t hold back when it comes to assessing McCluggage as a housemate. “He always wakes up and blows his nose and always wakes me up by doing that,” Berry laughs. “Other than that, he’s a very stubborn kid. He’ll just argue a point to argue a point. He gets under my skin. “I’m not the greatest arguer so he always annoys me in that way ... so it usually turns physical. When it turns physical he knows he’s won.”

Berry signed a contact extension to anchor him at the Lions until at least the end of 2019. But McCluggage is yet to pen an extension of his own.

“I’ve been in his ear about that,” Berry says. “Hopefully he’s enjoying it. He’s playing good footy up here and getting plenty of opportunity. “I don’t know why you’d want to live in the cold of Melbourne when it’s 23 degrees and sunny up here.”

If the weather isn’t enough to encourage McCluggage, Berry says the development of Brisbane’s squad — the youngest on average in the competition — should do the trick. And if that’s not enough, coach Chris Fagan may get him over the line.
c2efd575a120c3c41ee55d500600c1c4

ab2ffaa2229565b2e55eda9b43fd6ade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Player Reviews
#6. Hugh McCluggage

Hugh McCluggage became a major part of Brisbane Lions’ blueprint for success following his selection as third pick during the 2016 AFL draft.

McCluggage had an outstanding first AFL season in 2017, debuting in Round 3 against St Kilda with fellow Ballarat boy, Jarrod Berry.

The 19-year-old played his best AFL game yet in Round 14 and secured an AFL Rising Star nomination.

McCluggage was impressive during the Round 14 match, gathering 19 possessions and laying two tackles against the GWS Giants.

DDPLJ0OUwAEDbM1.jpg:small

The midfielder continued to improve week by week, finishing Round 23 with 17 disposals, 8 marks, 2 tackles and a goal.

With silky skills and plenty of class, the Lions are excited to see what the Club will achieve with McCluggage on their side.

Senior matches: 18, NEAFL matches: 1

Was going through some of my old photos last night and came across this one taken in 2013 in the U15 V-Line Cup Grand final between Ovens & Murray (my nephew's team) and the Hampden League. Check out the guy second from right. Wish I could say I spotted him at the time or that I had some premonition. The mouth guard would have been a cause for concern though.

O&M V_Line Cup Grand Final 7.4.13-5.jpg

Lion out to cure second-year blues
HUGH McCluggage has set about avoiding the second-year blues by trying to add something new to his game every time he runs out for the Lions.

As the third pick in a bumper 2016 draft, the Victorian teenager already had plenty of bases covered when he arrived at the Lions. The Lions will attempt their first victory over Richmond in nine years at the MCG on Saturday but McCluggage is ignoring the history saying the only way he will reach his potential is to each week focus on trying to do something better than the game before.

The second-year blues have struck many gun teenagers who make a big splash in their debut seasons, but McCluggage is building on a solid first season and had perhaps his best game as a Lion in last week’s gut-wrenching loss to the Power in Adelaide when a final-quarter fightback fell short by a kick.

“You do hear about it (second-year blues), but I’m about improving every game I go out there,’’ he said.

“I’ve worked really closely with the coaches to find ways I can get better each week. I’ve obviously had to get a bit bigger and better at the contested side and that’s probably where the growth has come from so far.

“I just focused on how I was going to get better rather than thinking it was just going to happen for me and there is that chance you are going to have a form lapse every now and then but I’m just trying to keep improving each game, even if it is the little areas. It doesn’t have to be your best game every week but if I can see growth I’m happy.’’
McCluggage said although the Lions were craving a win, they were learning about what was required in big moments from close games such as the loss to Port. “We’re getting in games a lot more, we’ve been in every game this year which is exciting,’’ he said.

5ebe42f19e418accc788fef7a99ba5a9

“So we are encountering moments where you have to stand up and play the way the team needs you to play and not try do your own thing. “That’s what the best teams do and that will help us win those close games so that’s probably the most important thing.’’

It is skipper Dayne Beams’ 150th game, and McCluggage said his captain’s tough looking exterior camouflaged a man with a heart of gold. “He was really good with all of us in my draft group when we got up here,’’ he said. “Obviously he is a really good midfielder, everyone knows that, but off the field he wants to have you for dinner, teach you the ropes and stuff. “He’s awesome. I’m really looking forward to seeing him play 150 games.’’

Super game last night, probably a career-best.

The stats showed he had 8 contested possessions and 5 tackles, which we all know are things he needs to build on. But what the stats don't tell was his gut-running - he pushed himself from contest to contest and as a result found more of the ball. It felt like he had been building towards a game like this so it's pleasing so see the upward trajectory continue.

The friendship link between he and Berry gets played up way too often but it really is going to be a special combo for us.

Super game last night, probably a career-best.

The stats showed he had 8 contested possessions and 5 tackles, which we all know are things he needs to build on. But what the stats don't tell was his gut-running - he pushed himself from contest to contest and as a result found more of the ball. It felt like he had been building towards a game like this so it's pleasing so see the upward trajectory continue.

The friendship link between he and Berry gets played up way too often but it really is going to be a special combo for us.

The final 10 second play (which was somewhat similar to the Miracle on Grass) included Witherden getting the ball moving forward...ending up with Lugg > Berry > Rayner within 5 seconds for a shot at goal. Good to see despite the missed shot :thumbsu:

Sit back and like a good fine wine, it'll take time but he'll definitely be one to savour. Going to be elite.
I know others have called this as well but you can see things starting to slow down for him and the elite decision making as a junior coming back again. He has Pendlebury like abilities where his work within the 'phone box' looks easy. Still one or two things to iron out but his hands in close are Black like. Sunday's game will become the norm in a few years time and then some. Sit back and enjoy Lions fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back