Senior Hugh McCluggage (2016-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nine things we learned

2) Hugh McCluggage is worth every cent

Entering this season, Hugh McCluggage was one of the hottest free agents on the market, and he again reminded everyone on Friday night just why. Recently locked away by the Lions for seven years on a hefty annual salary, McCluggage was a prime mover in Brisbane's come-from-behind win over Melbourne. He helped turn the tide in the second half with 19 of his 28 disposals, using the ball superbly to help set up numerous scoring chains. Then, with 75 seconds remaining and scores level, the 26-year-old delivered four premiership points for the Lions with an exquisite set shot from the boundary line. When McCluggage plays well, good things happen for Brisbane and he's well on the way to justifying his price tag. – Michael Whiting

Why McCluggage Never Considered Reported Victorian Interest Before Re-Signing with Lions

Brisbane star Hugh McCluggage never considered leaving the Lions before signing a seven-year extension until the end of the 2031 season.

The 26-year-old was one of the competition’s hottest free agents and was reportedly being chased by clubs such as St Kilda, Essendon and Collingwood on deals worth near $1.3 million a season but never had his nose turned by that interest.

The former No. 3 pick says that the culture at Brisbane was something that made him want to remain at the Gabba and he feels that his newly re-signed teammates Jarrod Berry and Charlie Cameron felt the same.

“I mean, we've just built such a good group of people first and foremost and the footy has come off the back of that,” McCluggage said on SENQ Pat and Heals.

“You want to be involved in a successful footy club on the field, but you also want to be hanging around with your good mates every day, with good coaches, good staff and we definitely have that here.

“That's the first and most important thing that I was considering when I obviously wanted to stay here for longer.

“‘Bezza’ (Jarrod Berry) and Charlie (Cameron) have obviously seen the same thing and enjoyed it here as much as I have. So, they've signed it as well.

“We've had great retention of players over the last four or five years, and we've also been able to bring in some great players from other clubs, which helps as well.”

1 second of 1 minute, 23 secondsVolume 0%
x close
While the media linked McCluggage to other clubs, he says he was always focused on Brisbane, not just in 2024 as they look to rebound from a runners-up finish in 2023 but long into the future.

Now set to be a Lion for life, McCluggage hopes he can help the club’s young players progress just as the likes of Dayne Zorko have done for himself, Berry and other youngsters who were drafted during the 2010s.

“It sort of went unsaid,” McCluggage said.

“All the media work I did, I was pretty clear in what I wanted and that was to stay.

“All the conversations I was having around the club as a friend, as a player and as a leader were about this year, about future years and about what we could do together as a group.

“So, I think that that made things pretty clear. I made people know that my intention was to be here for the long term.

“I was just stoked that I could sign on for a long time to come.

“It just allows me to be that guy like a Ryan Lester, a Dayne Zorko and all the other older boys have been for Berry and me since we got here. They've done a lot for us to make us feel comfortable and now we've got such a good, exciting young group of boys coming through. I want to be able to do the same for them.”

McCluggage and the Lions, who have only lost one of their past eight games, will hope to continue their good form when they face the Crows at the Adelaide Oval on Sunday evening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior Hugh McCluggage (2016-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back