Hugo Chavez dies aged 58

Remove this Banner Ad

Are the protestors any wing?

They seem to be just targetting middle class people who perhaps don't like left wing governments.

Perhaps they are simply Capitalists.

Fair enough - I may be guilty of generalising in painting the protestors as right-wing. And it's true that there are social problems that need to be addressed in Venezuela. People DO have the right to make their voices heard.

But there is protesting and then there is rioting. The same people who denounce such things as the Occupy movements would likely back these protestors' cause in Caracas and in Kiev. Why? Ideology. I know this because I feel the same, but in reverse. I sympathise with protesting against a myriad of right-wing actions and values and actively denounce those same right-wing elements when they organise against left-wing values and ideals.

I admit to being somewhat of a hypocrite in this way - but I hold my personal values dearly. I believe in things, and act in life according to my inner value system. These protests, though. It would take some incredible breaking point - one last straw placed on the camels' back - in order for me to get in any way violent with my views.

And so, on the conduct of the Venezuelan security forces in the face of all this - is it much different from what we'd see with the reaction from U.S or Australian police riot squads during times of violent protests? Guaranteed if the same level of protests hit Australian streets there would be protestor deaths by the hand of the security forces.

Throw a fire bomb at a line of cops here? They'd shoot you down in the street and it would be a justifiable response to a threat on police safety.

But there is protesting and then there is rioting. The same people who denounce such things as the Occupy movements would likely back these protestors' cause in Caracas and in Kiev. Why? Ideology. I know this because I feel the same, but in reverse. I sympathise with protesting against a myriad of right-wing actions and values and actively denounce those same right-wing elements when they organise against left-wing values and ideals.

I think you'll find a lot of the people who were sick of the Occupy protestors wouldn't care about Caracas and Kiev. They don't involve themselves in foreign politics.

That's the difference between the conservative-lites (I say them because they are in the majoirty over the true right wingers) and left wingers. The left look to other left politics world wide. The conservative-lites mainly have opinions on local issues.

I admit to being somewhat of a hypocrite in this way - but I hold my personal values dearly. I believe in things, and act in life according to my inner value system. These protests, though. It would take some incredible breaking point - one last straw placed on the camels' back - in order for me to get in any way violent with my views.

I have no issues with people protesting. It's when someone thinks their right to protest usurps another persons right to go about their daily business or use public spaces is when I take issue with them.

Protestors in Australia often fall into the category of its all about them.

And so, on the conduct of the Venezuelan security forces in the face of all this - is it much different from what we'd see with the reaction from U.S or Australian police riot squads during times of violent protests? Guaranteed if the same level of protests hit Australian streets there would be protestor deaths by the hand of the security forces.

It's vastly different. In Australia we'd send in Police. They sent in the Army.

Vastly different in training methods and ability to create damage to protestors by those dealing with it.

Throw a fire bomb at a line of cops here? They'd shoot you down in the street and it would be a justifiable response to a threat on police safety.

I don't think the regular police would draw arms. They'd back off and call in the tactical response and firefighters.

1798816_306010379524073_1039787510_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Hugo Chavez dies aged 58

Remove this Banner Ad

Back