Hundreds of tickets remain unsold for Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that ebay auction is a good idea if you can somehow make the buyer prove they were members.

They could also create more categories of seats (rather than half the ground being "premium") and jack the face value up for the highest tiers. Make the best seats with the best view have a face value (or ebay minimum) of $300 or $500 or whatever, but still limit them to AFL/competing club members ... it might be too expensive for some, but some member will still buy them. Plenty of ways to increase revenue, give back to clubs, and get tickets to fans.

They could also tell Meatloaf to piss off back to Burger King, along with what other half-arsed entertainment has been organised. Just let Tim Rogers do the whole pre-show by himself for a bottle of whiskey and a free ticket to the game. Probably another $500k - $1 million that they could add to the kitty to redistribute back to the poor clubs, and open up a few more seats for genuine fans.

If there are empty seats at this game, then Vlad should forfeit all rights to his bonus ... give it back to the clubs ... and take a pay cut. He would have failed at the easiest task of his job, to get a full house at the main event of the sport he is supposed to run.

Why restrict it to members? Open it up. It is of most interest to club supporters (members & non members). An open ticket auction would result in the tickets mostly getting in to the hands of club supporters. What would be useful (if possible) is some sort of state residency element so non vic clubs supporters can compete for tickets better (taking account of flight costs) if their team makes it. e-bay is the model, maybe the AFL would have to run it? Just a thought.

Why restrict it to members? Open it up. It is of most interest to club supporters (members & non members). An open ticket auction would result in the tickets mostly getting in to the hands of club supporters. What would be useful (if possible) is some sort of state residency element so non vic clubs supporters can compete for tickets better (taking account of flight costs) if their team makes it. e-bay is the model, maybe the AFL would have to run it? Just a thought.

Was thinking that scalpers might try to buy them and then sell them again, although I guess the auction would sort that out as it could eliminate their profit margin and motives. Also, it is the competing clubs' members who deserve the best chance of getting tickets. I suppose it might be too hard to police membership status anyway if using eBay, the AFL would have to set up their own website.

You're clearly missing the point here, the NRL can release only those 14,000 tickets to members of competing clubs because (broncos aside) most NRL clubs would only have about 7000 members, no genuine fans actually miss out that way. The AFL system is far more complicated, in most cases there are more club members than seats available in the ground.

Whether the AFL should charge $1500 a ticket is another matter, but if a member of the general public wants to attend that is (and should be) the price of admission. Your ticket allocation also fails to take into account the rights of AFL members, not to mention the 5000 seat Medallion club allocation that the AFL agreed to (though hopefully that will be scrapped in 2025). You're also missing the AFL's obligation to sponsors, etc to provide some tickets (which is a necessary evil), and the AFLPA's agreed upon allocation.

Stuff the Medallion club. They shouldn't get any tickets. I have already accounted AFL members in that allocation. 30,000 AFL members get to attend, with 20,000 going to both teams. The NRL system doesnt give any tickets to the other clubs ftom what I can see. That is the main difference here. Prices are lower as well.
To make the AFL sponsors happy, let's give them 5% and take 5% off the club members
55% of the ground would have club members, 23% would be MCC members, 10% would be AFL members with no club support, 5% would be GP and 2% would go the other clubs for sponsors, coaches and officials.

What do you want. You want to get rid of Medallion club members which I agree with.
The ticket price of $1500 is not another matter. That is the main problem. The AFL legislates against Scalping and yet they allow the other clubs to do this so blatantly.

So how does an auction help poor people go?

Make the member allocation 30k per team and be done with the corporate bullshit.

It doesn't help poor people. The AFL has decided that the GF is a money spinner for the poor clubs. An auction would result in higher ticket prices, helping to fill the coffers of the poor clubs, and replacing the need for at least some of the corporate packages. It would put more tickets in the hands of fans. Unfortunately these fans aren't going to be poor, but they are better than corporates.

I agree with your basic suggestion, but what are the poor clubs going to do without their $1 million in lost revenue from the corporate bullshit? The easiest thing would be the AFL just gives every club $1 million extra from their TV rights, but I can't see that ever happening.

Its not just about members - there are fans who are not members, who go to games when they can/want who would go to the GF. It is very simple, the club allocation is too small for the teams playing.

That's why clubs sell 3 game memberships.

I really don't understand why several posters in this thread have argued for tickets being allocated to the general public, at the expense of members. Seriously, if you can afford to go to the Grand Final, you can afford to fork out for a basic membership to support your team.

Also, the idea of basing access to a Grand Final ticket on how many games you've attended during the season is flawed. I live 300km from Melbourne. If I go to eight games a year, does that make me less deserving than someone who lives in East Melbourne and goes to nine games?

I really don't understand why several posters in this thread have argued for tickets being allocated to the general public, at the expense of members. Seriously, if you can afford to go to the Grand Final, you can afford to fork out for a basic membership to support your team.

Also, the idea of basing access to a Grand Final ticket on how many games you've attended during the season is flawed. I live 300km from Melbourne. If I go to eight games a year, does that make me less deserving than someone who lives in East Melbourne and goes to nine games?

The general public can already purchase tickets, they just have to pay $1,500. I think allowing the general public to purchase say 5,000 tickets at face value is better than letting the non competing clubs charge $1,300 for these tickets.

Allowing the general public to purchase some tickets would never be at the expense of the competing club members. They deserve a much large allocation. 12,500 per club is just wrong.

Stuff the Medallion club. They shouldn't get any tickets. I have already accounted AFL members in that allocation. 30,000 AFL members get to attend, with 20,000 going to both teams. The NRL system doesnt give any tickets to the other clubs ftom what I can see. That is the main difference here. Prices are lower as well.
To make the AFL sponsors happy, let's give them 5% and take 5% off the club members
55% of the ground would have club members, 23% would be MCC members, 10% would be AFL members with no club support, 5% would be GP and 2% would go the other clubs for sponsors, coaches and officials.

What do you want. You want to get rid of Medallion club members which I agree with.
The ticket price of $1500 is not another matter. That is the main problem. The AFL legislates against Scalping and yet they allow the other clubs to do this so blatantly.

I agree that the medallion club should get stuffed, but the deal has been made, and we're all stuck with it until 2025 when the AFL take over docklands (after which, it should end). Also, the AFL members reserve is a fixed amount of tickets (like the MCC) and they allocate those tickets under a system of their choosing, no more, no less.

You continue to make irrelevant comparisons to the NRL grand final. The NRL grand final doesn't have anywhere near the same demand for attendance, don't think for a second that the NRL wouldn't distribute tickets to clubs to box into expensive packages if they knew the clubs would be able to sell them.

Scalpers are scum, there's a reason they're legislated against. What the AFL are doing isn't much better, but it's their event to distribute whichever way they want. I think there'll be a significant backlash this year if the ground is quite short of being full which will hopefully change things. The ticket allocation to non-competing clubs has been shrinking gradually over the last decade or so anyway, maybe one day it'll get down to a number of about 200 per club.

You still offer no legitimate reason why the general public should attend, unless the game was GC vs GWS, there would be club members who missed out. Frankly, the general public can get stuffed. If you want to go to a grand final, buy a membership, and wait for your club to make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The general public can already purchase tickets, they just have to pay $1,500. I think allowing the general public to purchase say 5,000 tickets at face value is better than letting the non competing clubs charge $1,300 for these tickets.

Both the current system and your proposed one are severly flawed, whether yours is any better is also debatable.

Allowing the general public to purchase some tickets would never be at the expense of the competing club members. They deserve a much large allocation. 12,500 per club is just wrong.

Any tickets sold to the general public at face-value actually would be at the expense of club members.

There is a certain amount of pflegm being tossed about with the delirious human flotsam and jitsum King William would prefer to tend his garden with the hoi polloit than the prom queen.

Someone has it in their power to erase this grandiosment but i suppose that history will have it their way.

Handfuls of hair are being torn out today because of the human misadventure that leads the AFL.

Scorching peanuts is the impression of the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hundreds of tickets remain unsold for Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back