I am losing my love of football

Remove this Banner Ad

baw066 did you watch mondays game or todays?
Yep, the third qtr in today's game was as bad as I have ever seen. And just sat through North v Freo, get me a blunt pocket to take to myself. Shocking competition right now, hope it turns around. I can't remember so much error riddled unskilled footy being played at the start of any other season as it has been this year.

alright just let players dispose of the ball anyway they like !
Haha I laugh at people who complain about this interpretation. Incorrect disposal is there to stop you throwing it like rugby. If it's accidentally dislodged in a tackle than play on. So you saying if someone bounces it incorrectly and it bounces sideways away from them that's incorrect disposal?
Give us a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha I laugh at people who complain about this interpretation. Incorrect disposal is there to stop you throwing it like rugby. If it's accidentally dislodged in a tackle than play on. So you saying if someone bounces it incorrectly and it bounces sideways away from them that's incorrect disposal?
Give us a break.

If you had prior opportunity it used to be holding the ball if you didn't get it onto your boot or handball. To me as a kid playing this was one of the most basic and fundamental elemants of the game and it's basically been taken away. These days the players have prior opportunity and just strategically drop the ball. Do you honestly believe the ball is being 'accidentally dislodged in a tackle' 100 times a game? They just chuck it on the ground. Meanwhile other players get the ball held under them by the opposition with no prior opportunity and no chance to get it out and get HTB paid against them. It's baffling and there's not even any reason for it, just go back to the way it's supposed to be?!

So overall it seems the biggest gripe is the AFL isn't like the VFL was?

Guys if you want to go watch suburb footy that VFL still exists.
1: There's less congestion around the footy in suburban comps
2: most games are free to attend
3: it's still a suburban league you don't have to worry about a national comp having teams from outside Victoria
4 Ross Lyon doesn't coach anyone in the VFL
5 their alot stricter on ball ups and frees for illegal disposal and quicker to ball it up if no prior
6 big fwds that can't cut it in AFL dominate the VFL
7 does the VFL even have a rules committee?
8 no interchange cap in VFL
9 VFL is unaffected by the economy so have at it.

There you go you old sobs want nostalgia go watch a suburban comp, it's clearly what you all want.

3: it's still a suburban league you don't have to worry about a national comp having teams from outside Victoria
5 their alot stricter on ball ups and frees for illegal disposal and quicker to ball it up if no prior

There you go you old sobs want nostalgia go watch a suburban comp, it's clearly what you all want.
Not me, I just want to see guys that get paid a truck load of cash, display the basic fundamnetals and skills of the game. That's simply not happening. Take 10 blokes out of yesterdays game at the MCG and you would have been watching the VFL, because that's the standard most of them displayed. And last night's game at Subi, ****ing hell perfect conditions, not a breath of wind and those players just destroyed the game! Terrible football, it's got nothing to do with rules or game styles, it's the skill levels of the players they are dreadful.

I only watch suburban football. Just about to leave the house to watch it.

Still I would prefer the premier competition was umpired in the same manner. Can not understand anyone who likes the new interpretations.

Give us a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha ha to you. If you are tackled with prior opportunity and the ball is dislodged it is (or was) still holding the ball.

This rule was changed in the 70's (before I was born) as Kevin Bartlett used to drop the ball when tackled to avoid being called for holding the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Several other issues the afl have stuffed up and fans get treated like crap, the whole essendon drug thing, still basically nothing has happened, at least finalize something either way....the Melbourne tanking issue, of course they tanked the afl think we are idiots and they get away scot free.....

Ha ha, whatever mate, I am a child of the 70s and was at the game, my first ever GF in fact as my old man is a lifelong Cat and I would therefore see a load of Geelong games.

I'll go through them all for you, my answers in bold:

perfect football day : Who cares about the weather when it comes to footy?
yeates/brereton centre bounce : A big hit? So what, it was in the first second of the game. Dermie coming back from it was more impressive, sure, but that this somehow elevates a game? :rolleyes:
ablett first mark/goal : Gee, a mark on the lead from a prodigious full-forward (most teams had a spearhead back then, they often kicked the first goal. Big deal.
brereton goal after being crunched : Great goal, one of the most courageous things you will ever see. Does not maketh the "greatest match ever" though
hawks first quarter was insane Dominant, completely finished the game as a contest
cats last quarter was awesome They were always behind the eight ball, were never a serious threat and the margin got closer due to late goals. Only pulled out this quarter when the sting was out of the game due to how violent it was.
abletts stats 12 kicks,8 marks 9 goals 1 : A fantastic forward had a great game. Happened all the time back then.
abletts boundary throw in goal: Great bit of Gazza magic. He was a magician.
cats outscored hawks in 2,3 and 4th quarters: Ha ha, this one is great. The margins were, 40 at quarter time, 37 at half time and 36 at three quarter time. If you did watch a lot of footy back then as you say you did, you will remember that any margin over 5 goals meant game over (unless, maybe, you were Collingwood in a GF ;)). Comebacks were much rarer back then. It never got under six goals until the game was dead. Coming back from 6 goals down was simply never gonna happen.

the margin may have seemed to be 4 to 5 goals but it never felt like that as a neutral supporter.... Says you. This GF was just another in a long line of GFs that had lopsided contests. Having a team in front by so much during the game until very late fools people a lot into thinking this was a closer game than it was and the mythologising about this game will continue I guess. It was brutal, yes, but having a team in front by 6 goals minimum at every change says all you need to know about it. You just never felt it possible that a team could come back from that back then and this was no exception.

if that game was last year instead of the shit hawks/freo served up it would be concidered an incredible game, basically you agree with me on every point, you claim not many teams came back from 6 goals down, o'k but mate it happened in the GF that year!!!!!!, if the cats got a quick centre clearance with something like 25 seconds left anything could have happened.....

Such short memories. The 80's produced the worst most one sided finals and the worst crowds. It started in 1980 when Richmond beat Collingwood by 83 points. Hawthorn won two GFs by over 80 points and Essendon won at least one by that margin. The GF's of the 2000's have been outstanding in comparison. Last year's was the first disappointing one for a while and even that was reasonably tight. 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010(draw) 2011 for three quarters was a classic and 2012 were all fantastic games.

There were games at Vic Park in the 1980's when it was being used as a home base by Fitzroy for some games that had around 4000 people. I still remember when a St Kilda player had to climb over the fence to get the ball because there were no spectators in the outer. Richmond had to have cans rattled to save the club their attendances were so bad. Don't you remember the SOS campaign?

The way they structured finals in the 80's is the biggest fault of that era. Teams were limping in and facing a side that had had a week off. The finals are structured in a much better way now with finalist having an equal time off before the GF. (except if you play Sydney)

Remove this Banner Ad

I am losing my love of football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back