I am sorry Scott I got it wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by STARSHIPTROOPER
Then you are far more accepting than I am. As for hindsight the entire premise of these types of forums is reflective comment with a bit of 'what if' thrown in. As for concession I am happy to stay with "duds" ...... hoping like hell that I am proved wrong.

Assuming we get the 5th pick of the draft this year then who do you think we have a realistic shot at getting ?

I would not be so strong on it if it were not for the club, suppoters and media pumping him up for something is is not Quote "the best in ths Business' David Smorgon AGM 03. I have heard it from Kb, Smorgo,Wallace, Healy and Walls.

Well that seems to be a fair rap from a group of people vastly experienced in football.

So who would know whether Clayton is a good recruiter? The Clayton advocates above or Starshiptrooper?

The defence rests.

Incidently it would be interesting to get your thoughts on the question Rocco asked you about Kleiman. I think I might have even asked you that myself a while back without getting a response.

What responsibility if any would you proportion to Kleiman for the problems we have had concerning the state of our playing list in recent years?

Originally posted by OldSchool
It's not easy to commit yourself to a few names is it ? ;)

If I was the best talent spotter in the business like working full time travelling around watching football , talking to coaches, parents, presidents , players, other recruiters, spotters, AIS personel AFL development personel, attending draft camps and watching countless videos etc etc etc I would be happy to commit. As I have as yet paid bugger all attention to it other than the Vic scene I will wait and see.

What I can tell you is that I wont be trading our Hypthetical pick 5 for a second eleven player at another club.

As I have as yet paid bugger all attention to it other than the Vic scene I will wait and see.

How about coughing up a few Victorian names we should all look out for ?
Do you actually go to any of the games is it just what you read ?

Originally posted by OldSchool
It's not easy to commit yourself to a few names is it ? ;)

I know we have traded a lot of banter on this very subject and probably disagree as much as we agree. But like you I would have thought that someone who has been so critical of Clayton's performance would have more to back up his opinion than mere hindsight.

I would have thought that when making such criticisms it would have arisen from having a very sound knowledge on the subject. Meaning having first hand knowledge and being able to make your own judgements about the merits of the players available as a result of having witnessed them play. Making critical opinions of Clayton at the time of the drafting from a position based with some knowledge would give more credibility to the person making the criticisms. If he could therefore pick who we should have recruited (at that time) he would then be a genius.

As you say it's not easy to pick the talent but I would have thought Starshiptrooper would have had something immediate to offer in response to your question on who we might get with a fifth pick. I'm disappointed he hasn't.

Originally posted by The Doctor
I know we have traded a lot of banter on this very subject and probably disagree as much as we agree. But like you I would have thought that someone who has been so critical of Clayton's performance would have more to back up his opinion than mere hindsight.

I would have thought that when making such criticisms it would have arisen from having a very sound knowledge on the subject. Meaning having first hand knowledge and being able to make your own judgements about the merits of the players available as a result of having witnessed them play. Making critical opinions of Clayton at the time of the drafting from a position based with some knowledge would give more credibility to the person making the criticisms. If he could therefore pick who we should have recruited (at that time) he would then be a genius.

As you say it's not easy to pick the talent but I would have thought Starshiptrooper would have had something immediate to offer in response to your question on who we might get with a fifth pick. I'm disappointed he hasn't.

I could give a toss about what my perceived credibilty may be . What I am interseted in is the results of a highly paid full time talent spotter touted as being the best in the business. He is in his 5 year and we have 4 wins at the half way mark after winning 3.5 games the previous year.
Sorry, how silly of me thats all Rhodes fault.

I could give a toss about what my perceived credibilty may be . What I am interseted in is the results of a highly paid full time talent spotter touted as being the best in the business. He is in his 5 year and we have 4 wins at the half way mark after winning 3.5 games the previous year.
Sorry, how silly of me thats all Rhodes fault.

Ok Fair enough

so therefore it is reasonable for us to come to the conclusion that you have no idea about recruiting. I think that is all we wanted to establish.

Any view on Kleiman yet or do you have to look that up as well?

I think we have differing philosophies about draft day talent but overall we both have the utmost respect for what Clayton and others achieve.
I don't think either of us have ever said that Clayton is the best in the business which Trooper seems to want to challenge but he is one of the better guys around.

A number of people prefer the Monday morning quarterback or day old prophet approach.

I could give a toss about what my perceived credibilty may be .

So you don't give a damn about your own credibility or how you are perceived but you believe you should attack the credibility of Claytons recruiting reputation.

If you had have originally said you thought Clayton could have done better with the available selections and stopped referring to players as duds then you might have got a fair bit of genuine debate. Not that you were too interested in that to start with.

Well that seems to be a fair rap from a group of people vastly experienced in football.

So who would know whether Clayton is a good recruiter? The Clayton advocates above or Starshiptrooper?

The defence rests.

Incidently it would be interesting to get your thoughts on the question Rocco asked you about Kleiman. I think I might have even asked you that myself a while back without getting a response.

What responsibility if any would you proportion to Kleiman for the problems we have had concerning the state of our playing list in recent years?

Re getting back, I may suprise you but I dont sit at the PC 24/7 waiting for reply to all an sundry I often wonder how match time some of you sit reading this stuff. On Kleiman 100% certified dud. The only redeaming aspect was recruiting Johno. But at least he wasnt pumped up to be something he wasnt viz 'the best in the business"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Kleiman 100% certified dud. The only redeaming aspect was recruiting Johno. But at least he wasnt pumped up to be something he wasnt viz 'the best in the business"

Yep. He is still involved in football though. I think he is the player welfare guy at Collingwood.

Re getting back, I may suprise you but I dont sit at the PC 24/7 waiting for reply to all an sundry I often wonder how match time some of you sit reading this stuff. On Kleiman 100% certified dud. The only redeaming aspect was recruiting Johno. But at least he wasnt pumped up to be something he wasnt viz 'the best in the business"

Brown ring a bell? Didn't Kleiman draft him? Besides Alvey, how many other Kleiman picks are still playing? Josh Mahoney?

Originally posted by Rookie
Brown ring a bell? Didn't Kleiman draft him? Besides Alvey, how many other Kleiman picks are still playing? Josh Mahoney?
Some of Kleiman's other gems include Jim Plunkett, Paul Dooley, Robert Stevenson, Jay Solomon, Ricky Symes, David Round, Jacob Rhodes, Paul Digiovine, Anthony Aloi, Christin Macri, Allen Jakovich (pick 9 in 1995), Nicky Winmar (pick 30 in 1998), Luke Penny (pick 14 in 1998), not to mention such short sighted decisions as giving up a 1st round pick in 1995 for Hugh Riemers and Brad Wira!! I'd say conservatively 80% of the players Kleiman drafted for us didn't even play 1 game of AFL football. Clayton is an excellent recruiter IMO, and you cannot blame him for these guys failing to progress. That is the fault of the Rohde led and Wallace led footy depts. The second the player's name is read out, Clayton's job is finished.

Originally posted by Rookie
As I'm only interested in your summary of the 2000, 2001, 2002, and possibly the 2003 drafts, as promised by yourself.

When I get a spare 30 seconds I will cut and paste my previous posts and tack them on to 2000, 20001, 2002. It will be more of the same recruiting blunders.

Remove this Banner Ad

I am sorry Scott I got it wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back