Autopsy I did it - The Round 14 JHF 3 Brownlow Votes Highlights

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s only one answer to that …betting.

Senior umpire convinces the younger ones to be in agreement that JHF gets 3

Senior umpire gets mate to put a bet on that Jase gets more than 10 votes all up.

Either that or all the idiot umpires got confused with Bergman
I just looked up the stats for that game and Bergman got six disposals so even if there was a mix up surely that doesn’t explain how they thought Horne-Francis was best on ground.

It seems easy for umpires to form a cartel on voting, no?

They naturally would all talk each other and have their circles, I see no effective barriers, regulations or measures to stop them talking about how they voted.

Given the numerous forms of betting for the brownlow, getting a friend/family member to bet reasonable amounts for various scenarios then getting a cash kick back seems very low risk.

Can someone explain why this wouldn't happen?

They naturally would all talk each other and have their circles, I see no effective barriers, regulations or measures to stop them talking about how they voted.

Given the numerous forms of betting for the brownlow, getting a friend/family member to bet reasonable amounts for various scenarios then getting a cash kick back seems very low risk.

Deny Video Game GIF by Eternal Family

I just looked up the stats for that game and Bergman got six disposals so even if there was a mix up surely that doesn’t explain how they thought Horne-Francis was best on ground.
Yes well the plot thickens doesn’t it.

There’s something rotten in Denmark about all of this…

It’s fact that game umpires all get together for a Gatorade and cigars long after the final siren and nut it out together on who gets the 1,2,3 Brownlow votes.

They have access to the player stats of the game obviously and im guessing there’s a few disputes from time to time on who gets the 3.

It seems after this Port /Cats game they all wanted it done pretty quickly and just threw a dart because there was no stand out star of the night ...or there’s collusion betting going on.

It’s fact that game umpires all get together for a Gatorade and cigars long after the final siren and nut it out together on who gets the 1,2,3 Brownlow votes.

They have access to the player stats of the game obviously and im guessing there’s a few disputes from time to time on who gets the 3.

It seems after this Port /Cats game they all wanted it done pretty quickly and just threw a dart because there was no stand out star of the night ...or there’s collusion betting going on.
According to Footy Classified earlier tonight, the umpires no longer have stats access and do the votes without seeing them.

My main takeaway from the night was JHF and Ashcroft will be battling it out for Brownlows in future years based on last nights count. Ashcroft with 10 votes and Dunkley 4 was a little staggering. Cripps 20+ and Cerra 2 probably more staggering.
Dunkley 4..really?

That alone is indeed staggering and a classic example why umpires should be stripped of Brownlow voting duties.

According to Footy Classified earlier tonight, the umpires no longer have stats access and do the votes without seeing them.

Interesting…I remember clearly a few years ago they had access to game day stats immediately after the game.

Last edited:
When faced with cause being a conspiracy (corruption in this case) or just unplanned incompetence, I'll always favour the latter

Why? Is this because you are generally incompetent?

I'm not being a smart-ass, this is a serious question.

Do you prefer to believe in incompetence over corruption because you are more prone to incompetence yourself?

If not, then what is the reason?

Is it because you heard about 'hanlons razor' one day and felt smart by repeating it to others?

Excellent work Spiral_Out 👍

Maybe they are afraid of ending up 'in limbo'

Honestly, every time Bergman pops up I initially think it’s JHF.

My theory is that they thought they were indeed the same person, and thus felt JHF had put on a masterclass in running both ways, as he appeared to quite literally be in two places, at all times.

19 touches, 3 marks, 13 contested possessions, 1 contested mark, 3 inside 50’s….

… all from just 158% TOG. ⏰

Not great, but not awful.

My theory is that they thought they were indeed the same person, and thus felt JHF had put on a masterclass in running both ways, as he appeared to quite literally be in two places, at all times.

19 touches, 3 marks, 13 contested possessions, 1 contested mark, 3 inside 50’s….

158% TOG is an instant 3 votes in my book 👌

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Find me another player who has achieved it. I’ll wait.
Someone back in the 70s (possibly stKilda) who played ressies at 10am
And got the call to back it up in the seniors because a bunch of players were food poisoned the night before from a bad butter chicken.

I’m still not convinced. Horne-Francis has a very distinct gait, you’d think the umpires have noticed that.

No phones and no stats... the umpires are officiating the game not keeping track of who is performing well

I can agree with no phones but no stats... just leave a print out on the table and they can make an informed decision

Why? Is this because you are generally incompetent?

I'm not being a smart-ass, this is a serious question.

Do you prefer to believe in incompetence over corruption because you are more prone to incompetence yourself?

If not, then what is the reason?

Is it because you heard about 'hanlons razor' one day and felt smart by repeating it to others?
Yes having worked for many years in large organisations when one hand doesnt know what the other us doing, i clearly doubt the ability of multiple parties colluding together like this example to pull something like this off without if falling flat on its face. Human behaviour being as it is people talk, they can't keep secrets, it gets exposed, especially in the public glare of Brownlow night.

Yes having worked for many years in large organisations when one hand doesnt know what the other us doing, i clearly doubt the ability of multiple parties colluding together like this example to pull something like this off without if falling flat on its face. Human behaviour being as it is people talk, they can't keep secrets, it gets exposed, especially in the public glare of Brownlow night.

Do you think those kinds of people are likely to be invited to partake in corrupt activity?

Or do you think just because you (and the people you associate with) can't keep secrets, then literally nobody else can either?

My main takeaway from the night was JHF and Ashcroft will be battling it out for Brownlows in future years based on last nights count. Ashcroft with 10 votes and Dunkley 4 was a little staggering. Cripps 20+ and Cerra 2 probably more staggering.

I wonder if there is a market for Ashcroft, JHF, Newcombe and Daicos to all win at least 1 over the next decade. Daicos probably multiple.

All polling incredibly strongly over their first couple of seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy I did it - The Round 14 JHF 3 Brownlow Votes Highlights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back