I now have respect for AFL umpires and y afl is the best sport in the world!

Remove this Banner Ad

Awaiting for an explanation from roby in how the umpire got that correct??

The Brasil vs Ivory Coast game was a disgrace with regards to umpiring. I counted at least three tackles in the last 30 minutes that deserved a straight red and were disregarded. I bet Dunga must've been nervous for a while there, with the game basically done and Ivory Coast on a mission to break as many legs as possible.

That shocked me more than the pathetic acting at Kaka's second yellow. Shit behaviour that's been around for too long to just change overnight, unfortunately. Rivaldo once acted a red when he pretended being hit in the head by a ball that touched him on the knee. It just gets clearer and clearer that the FIFA needs to do something about it.

ETA: Brasil's second should never have been allowed either. Hands twice in the one passage of play.

Amazing how many people are missing the point on the Harry red card...

It is really very simple...

If you arms are away from your body on the goal line and the ball strikes them it is a deliberate hand ball. No Ifs, not buts, it is a black and white rule, makes the call spot on and correct, a deliberate hand ball to stop a goal is as close to an automatic red card as you will find.

Love how everyone has turned into whining soccer ****s, we are becoming everything that we criticise about the sport. Cahill red was a blunder, Harry red was spot on from the ref.

I don't know many people who have serious problems with the AFL umpires. It isn't the umpires that have made all the rules over the last couple of years. The MRP and the rules comittee, well they are messing up the game, but the umpires just call it as they are told to by how they see it and they do a damn good job of it.

You have no idea. While the AFL is a great game it is not the WORLD game. There is a reason why football is called the world game if you are unaware.

You have no idea. While the AFL is a great game it is not the WORLD game. There is a reason why football is called the world game if you are unaware.

We're suitably impressed.

And yet a billion people around the world applaud the manner in which the Italians earned 35 free kicks to 11.

No thanks.

The WC is an absolute farce, run by the most corrupt organisation on Earth - kudos to Australians, Americans and Canadians for seeing it for what it is.

Awaiting for an explanation from roby in how the umpire got that correct??

Or are you awaiting how I can explain how you keep embarrassing yourself.

Sorry even in the AFL if you pull someone's jumper when they don't have the ball is free kick. Are you really that clueless?

Secondly you fail to mention that the NZ was offside. The most clear offside of the tournament. Failed too mention. You fail again.

You also failed too mention that Fallon got a yellow card for elbowing in the head. He did three times. Normally it's a red card.

Anything else you will like to embarrass yourself on?

Secondly you fail to mention that the NZ was offside. The most clear offside of the tournament. Failed too mention. You fail again.

It's only clearly offside if the linesman is able to clearly discern that it has come off a NZ head (Smeltz wasn't offside at the time of the free kick, only at the time of the glanced header, and even then, it's pretty close).

If the linesman is unable to clearly discern it has hit a NZ head, then the rules state that he must give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.

So correct call by the linesman.

Soccer. The Referees sport.

The penalty was justified, but probably not the red. And the next yellow that Ghana got was bull**** - a tackle like that from behind should always be a red.

Pathetic ref. We tried hard but the odds were stacked against us.

Thats why FIFA dont want replays etc introduced into the sport ...its rigged and or incompetent by the refs , linsemen and the players as it would show the sport up to what it really is , a JOKE .

Low scoring is the reason why soccer is a dud game - it makes the role of the referees vital to the result as they may provide the only chance to score. And it makes it as much a game of luck as skill (though the skills are remarkable).

Imagine if there was normally 1-4 goals scored in a game of AFL and the umpires awarded lots of free kicks.

Soccer is like golf if the winner was decided by who can get a hole in one.

Low scoring is the reason why soccer is a dud game - it makes the role of the referees vital to the result as they may provide the only chance to score. And it makes it as much a game of luck as skill (though the skills are remarkable).

Imagine if there was normally 1-4 goals scored in a game of AFL and the umpires awarded lots of free kicks.

St kilda games are also like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. I feel similarily about Rugby Union, where, 50% of the scoring is because of 3pt penalty kicks thanks to refs. Basketball in the US is heavily influenced by refs too. Sure the player still has to kick it thorugh/make the free throw but any sport where the refs have such an impact to the direct score I don't bother with.

Bugger the Socceroos, I've jumped on Slovenia's bandwagon or should I say trakvagon

Who's with me? :thumbsu:

I want the Argies to do it so that Maradona - can win one as a player and as a manager

Agree with the OP. Refs in soccer can have a much bigger impact on the game than in AFL.

Kaka's red card - absolutely laughable. The Ivory Coast player runs into him then pretends he has been hit in the face. Kaka gets sent off (second yellow) and misses the next game. Imagine the uproar on here if that happened in the AFL. See at 30secs on vid below.

USA's disallowed goal - absolute howler. Ref awards a yellow for something he imagined, cancelling the goal, and at the same time misses two fouls against US players which would of led to penalties anyway.

Italy's penalty goal against NZ - diving of the highest order.

Can't believe how often the Refs in soccer get sucked in by all the diving. No wonder its so prevalent. If you're going to get rewarded players will keep doing it.
the Kaka red card is just about the worst yellow I've ever seen. I remember when Lucas Neil gave away a penalty to an Italian last world cup when it was clearly a dive, and I said to myself that I'd never watch soccer again. I've stupidly followed this farcical competition once again and seen many more disgraceful decisions.

I was watching the Brasil vs ivory coast game in a Brazilian bar in New Jersey, and if they weren't 2 goals up there would have been hell to pay.

I'm just so glad we have Aussie rules footy to follow and not that gay game the rest of the world trys to pride itself on.

It's only clearly offside if the linesman is able to clearly discern that it has come off a NZ head (Smeltz wasn't offside at the time of the free kick, only at the time of the glanced header, and even then, it's pretty close).

If the linesman is unable to clearly discern it has hit a NZ head, then the rules state that he must give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.

So correct call by the linesman.

No.

In laymens terms you are saying it was offside. Nowhere does the rule state that the referee will give benefit of doubt. If the referee is not paying attention then that's not a correct call.

Next?

the Kaka red card is just about the worst yellow I've ever seen. I remember when Lucas Neil gave away a penalty to an Italian last world cup when it was clearly a dive, and I said to myself that I'd never watch soccer again. I've stupidly followed this farcical competition once again and seen many more disgraceful decisions.

I was watching the Brasil vs ivory coast game in a Brazilian bar in New Jersey, and if they weren't 2 goals up there would have been hell to pay.

I'm just so glad we have Aussie rules footy to follow and not that gay game the rest of the world trys to pride itself on.

26 billion people watched the last world cup, which is a lot more times than the 4 million who watched last year's grand final. It makes no difference if you say it's a gay game or you don't want to watch, or the thousand armies of your friends who you stop to watch as well. No difference and your time would be best used posting in another thread.

Then again, type away. :D

Or are you awaiting how I can explain how you keep embarrassing yourself.

Sorry even in the AFL if you pull someone's jumper when they don't have the ball is free kick. Are you really that clueless?

You also failed too mention that Fallon got a yellow card for elbowing in the head. He did three times. Normally it's a red card.

Anything else you will like to embarrass yourself on?

Eh? Can Opener was responding to my post about the Kaka red (second yellow) card I put up in a vid.

Refs are having a huge impact on the outcomes, well actually, they always have. Can't believe how often they fall for over-acting. No wonder its endemic if you're going to be rewarded by doing it players will keep doing it.

The Bahrami red card which effectively cost the Swiss the game last night was another shocker. Ref sucked in again by some great acting.

The refusal of FIFA to allow video technology is ******ed. Seriously, move with the times. The amount of power Refs have to influence results is a recipe for corruption. In fact one only has to google "Referee bribe" to see how often it already happens.

I hope some ref gets exposed for being bribed to influence matches at the world cup - it may wake them up to the need to have an in-game review system. I am not talking about video review for everything, maybe just like in the cricket - teams can challenge 2 decisions a match or something like that.

Eh? Can Opener was responding to my post about the Kaka red (second yellow) card I put up in a vid.

Refs are having a huge impact on the outcomes, well actually, they always have. Can't believe how often they fall for over-acting. No wonder its endemic if you're going to be rewarded by doing it players will keep doing it.

The Bahrami red card which effectively cost the Swiss the game last night was another shocker. Ref sucked in again by some great acting.

The refusal of FIFA to allow video technology is ******ed. Seriously, move with the times. The amount of power Refs have to influence results is a recipe for corruption. In fact one only has to google "Referee bribe" to see how often it already happens.

I hope some ref gets exposed for being bribed to influence matches at the world cup - it may wake them up to the need to have an in-game review system. I am not talking about video review for everything, maybe just like in the cricket - teams can challenge 2 decisions a match or something like that.

Nobody says that the refereeing in soccer is perfect, far from it. It could probably be improved by 300%, especially in the world cup.

Problem with the world cup, is due that they want to grab officials from all regions and continents the quality somewhat diminishes. The standard of refereeing in the top European leagues is much better. Things like the Kaka incident are very rare unlike in the World Cup. Same with Chaill's red card, I see challenges like that in nearly every game each week in SerieA, Primera Liga and EPL but at best they get a yellow card and times no booking at all.

Just the same way that the 32 teams participating in the World Cup are not the best 32 nation in world football. FIFA should just get the best referees and stop trying to appear diplomatic, as to give everyone an equal footing. They should also bring in video refereeing. I fear that won't happen until Sepp Blatter steps down.

It's threads like this that remind me how much scum there still is living in this country.

That morons like some of you take some sort of sick pleasure in an Australian team losing is sickening. The worst bit is it's got nothing to do with the players themselves but the sport they're playing. I just don't get it?

It's not enough to just dislike the sport and ignore it exists, you clowns have to jump up and down like you're defeating some great enemy that's threatened you in some way.

Get a life losers, you're nothing but trailer trash. :rolleyes:

Haha, way to go overboard dude. So, people are trailer trash if they don't like soccer? I see the correlation.... :confused:

26 billion people watched the last world cup, which is a lot more times than the 4 million who watched last year's grand final. It makes no difference if you say it's a gay game or you don't want to watch, or the thousand armies of your friends who you stop to watch as well. No difference and your time would be best used posting in another thread.

Then again, type away. :D

Are you quite sure 26 billion watched?

No.

In laymens terms you are saying it was offside. Nowhere does the rule state that the referee will give benefit of doubt. If the referee is not paying attention then that's not a correct call.

Next?

I disagree.

If there's doubt, the linesman must give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.

He could only have called offside if it was clear that the ball had touched an NZ head, and no way would that have been clear to him.

As I said, Smeltz was actually in an onside position as the free kick was taken.

I don't understand all these soccer lovers who are so precious about their World Game. Who cares if its the most popular sport in the world, watched by billions... stop shoving this fact down people's throats.

Collingwood have the most fans - doesn't mean they are the best club.

Just because soccer is popular on the world stage doesn't mean a damn thing... doesnt change the fact that its full of divers, played by "men" who clutch their faces and roll around in agony when they receive a tap on the ribs.

Remove this Banner Ad

I now have respect for AFL umpires and y afl is the best sport in the world!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back