Opinion I still like Bomber Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

But he gets a tick from me for several reasons. One -what he developed .Two- what he achieved. Three- the knowledge that he imparted and left behind.

Compare him to Lyon at the Saints.

Lyon was St Kilda's Chris Scott.

Thomas had done the building and the development at the saints and he stepped in to try and get them over the line.

I don't think you can compare Lyon v. Thompson at all.

The most unforgivable thing that Bomber did, for mine, was that he lied to Frank Costa.

When Frank Costa asked Bomber if Essendon had approached him, he said "No". He could have said "No comment", or "Frank, I can't really say anything". No, Bomber LIED to Frank Costa's face.

Now, let us put this in perspective. This is Frank Costa he did this too. If it had been Brian Cook, I could understand (Bomber was upset that Cook wanted to review him in 2006), but Costa was someone who backed Bomber to the hilt, even in '06, when others at the club were thinking of sacking Bomber. And that is how BOmber pays back Frank's loyalty.

The difference between Ablett and Bomber's departures are this. Ablett never lied. He didn't tell the truth, but he never said he was staying, he just didn't say he was going.

Bomber, on the other hand, said that Essendon had NOT contacted him, when they had. He lied! But then, he was a hypocrite as well, because he then ignored Ablett all season for alleged disloyalty, and said that Ablett should be upfront with his decision, but then wasn't so himself.

Also, according to Gary Ablett, Bomber never spoke to him after Rd 5, 2010, when they had an argument. If true, then Bomber was unprofessional.

In any coach-player tension, the coach needs to find a way to make it work. He needs to be the bigger man, for the sake of the club. The coach is the role model for the players, so their behaviour towards the players is paramount. One player out of line can be dealt with, but a coach who steps out of line can lose the respect of all the players.

Cannot argue with any of this. And the fundamental difference between him and Ablett was Ablett didn't let it affect his performance. Thompson did.

A lot of people will slam this topic, but I can't help but still like bomber.

Every time I watch him on 360, he keeps pumping us up when he talks about our boys. Tonight he was absolutely gushing about the big Hawk. he still shows genuine love for the club (even if he did screw us over at one point). I met him once after the 07 flag (was very friendly and accommodating) and when I see him speak now he still seems to be a really likeable bloke.

He owns this era and we can never change that fact. Forever in debt in my opinion.

lol What a coincidence.. last night I was thinking " I wonder how bomber thinks of Hawkins progress?"

Thanks for that.

Ultimately the senior coach is responsible for the football department,

Neil Balme was head of the football department and responsible for making sure that Bomber had everything he needed to do his job, which was coach and manage the other coaches. Before Balme arrived, Bomber tried to that as well as coach and made a pigs ear of it, it was just too much work

Cannot argue with any of this. And the fundamental difference between him and Ablett was Ablett didn't let it affect his performance. Thompson did.
Of course he shouldn't have lied to Costa but maybe he didn't want to hurt Frank and went into denial-he stuffed up. I can sort of get how it could happen.
Wasn't Thompson frustrated with Ablett because he knew Gary had signed with GC in October 2009-it seems to be nitpicking to say Gary did not lie if he already knew he was gone.
Mooney said the other day it is rubbish that they stopped talking-I don't know but why do you accept Ablett's version?
Thompson showed lapses in judgement both on and off the field from pretty early in 2010-he was done and his leaving was in the club's best interests.
I don't bear grudges towards either of them and am certainly forever grateful to Bomber and I wont forget what he did for us- how hard it is to win 1 flag, let alone 2? Go Geelong.

Yeah, I'm a lover. He's actually pretty funny when he gets going about something on 360. Very down to earth. And he still supports Geelong a fair bit, and admitted a while ago that he was barracking for us like crazy in the GF last year.

Clearly he made a few mistakes in the way he left the club, and it's horrible to think he lied to Frank Costa and the rest of them. But I don't think it was some malicious plan of his to do so, and I'm sure he regrets the way it happened, even if he won't admit it.

At any rate, he was instrumental in building the team that has now won 3 flags, and deserves a lot of credit for that. I don't really have any hard feelings at all and look back at his time as coach with great memories.

Bomber left at the right time. He may have left for the wrong reasons, but in hindsight getting a fresh new coach in was the best thing that could have happened to us last year.

But despite all that has happened, I still like Bomber. Its hard to dislike someone who helped achieve two flags after much heartache. When he arrived we are in an extremely bad spot with seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel. It took awhile, but he fashioned a tough skilful courageous team who work for each other and never say die.

Bomber doesnt get anywhere near the credit he deserves. Most opposition supporters underrate him massively with claims that the team could coach itself, but its because of him that the players are highly dependable and flexible.

In short, I just cant dislike him, especially when you look back and think of his antics such as the sandwich, laughing at Enright losing his pants, etc etc.

Anyone who makes Billy Brownless cry with tears of joy doesnt deserve hatred.

Like most I didn't like how he left. Was messy and a great shame after a terrific tenure as coach. But still like him overall and think he did an outstanding job. Still obviously cares a lot for the players and club also. I think he does in fact have more passion for us than we thought.

had essendon appointed hardwick he would not have felt the same need to save essendon

costa loved gaz more than anyone, and bomber knew this, and bomber knew how much he loved essendon and what he felt he owed them, and could not understand why gaz would think twice about leaving

2010 was players with attitude and not listening about a need to change game plan, and a brownlow meddalist pissed he was not getting votes

people conveniently forget that within weeks of a flag, team judas sought out gc, and team judas were looking at how successful they thought gc would be

bomber top bloke, who could not exit as gracious as he would like

he is coaching the dons not the wax imitation of hird that sits in the box

Dislike the way he left but can't dislike what he did for the Cats and ultimately his departure was for our benefit.

Can't blame him for going back to the club he played for and was a premiership captain. For mine, the main difference between his departure and GAJ leaving the club is that he went to the club he loved whereas GAJ the club he loved.

Lyon was St Kilda's Chris Scott.

Thomas had done the building and the development at the saints and he stepped in to try and get them over the line.

I don't think you can compare Lyon v. Thompson at all.

Definitely different in style. and application. Chris Scott's done a little tinkering with Geelong's way of going about a football match while Ross Lyon completely changed what was a pretty good attacking side in Grant Thomas' St Kilda. I know their key spearhead in Fraser Gehrig retired as well, which would not have helped, buy Lyon changed their gameplay almost COMPLETELY.

Note what Lyon is doing right now at Freo.

Not quite. Collingwood were clearly the best team in the competition when he took over. And Geelong had just lost the best player in the competition too. But agreed an awful lot of ground work had been done.

I meant that more as in off field club. Their systems and fundamentals were, IMO the best in the comp.
From Costa (and now Carter) down.

Did hate the way he left, but after seeing him on 360, can't say that I hate him.

He does seem like a different person now and a lot more relaxed.....

i just hope he doesn't have any ideas about Hawk as there was a lot of manlove for the Hawk in those eyes last night.....:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dislike the way he left but can't dislike what he did for the Cats and ultimately his departure was for our benefit.

Can't blame him for going back to the club he played for and was a premiership captain. For mine, the main difference between his departure and GAJ leaving the club is that he went to the club he loved whereas GAJ the club he loved.
Pretty much agree with this - especially your first sentence.
I was fuming at the time mainly due to his pretence at seasons end that he needed time to decide , whereas in reality he had initiated discussions with Essendon in July and knew exactly where he was going. Thought this was poor form considering the handshake nature of operating that Costa , Cook and Bomber has set up.

I suspect as time goes on that the manner of his leaving will be overtaken by the 2 Flags and era he presided over. I also think it's easier to forgive him due to Scott arriving and the 2011 Flag doesn't hurt either !!

Definitely different in style. and application. Chris Scott's done a little tinkering with Geelong's way of going about a football match while Ross Lyon completely changed what was a pretty good attacking side in Grant Thomas' St Kilda. I know their key spearhead in Fraser Gehrig retired as well, which would not have helped, buy Lyon changed their gameplay almost COMPLETELY.

Note what Lyon is doing right now at Freo.

Style between Scott and Lyon is completely different but I'm talking about where the respective lists were when they took over. St Kilda maybe a year or two younger but the list was in place and Lyon's job was to try and get them over the line.

The difference was we had already won premierships so Scott had a system that did work, but needed tinkering, and the rope to push the kids barrow at the same time.

Don't forget, it took Chris Scott one season to do what it took Bomber eight seasons to do.

Stupidest comment the board has seen from one of its own in a long time.

Chris Scott did a tremendous job with a wonderful list which Bomber Thompson articulated from the ground-up. Both deserve a truck-load of credit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proof that Bomber is just a more convincing liar, as he has all of you fooled.

The man couldn't even be loyal in his marriage, and abandoned his wife for another woman. Then he abandons his club, for the club he truly loved.
The man doesn't know loyalty. When someone or something doesn't "do it for him " anymore, he heads off. But then criticizes others who do the same thing he did.

Geelong was just a job, Essendon is his passion.

2011 showed that (and this is no knock to Chris Scott), that any half-decent coach can come in and coach us to a flag.

For mine, Chris Scott in one year has shown himself to be of much better character than Bomber ever had at Geelong.

What were you saying after BT had been there 1 year?? Bomber was amazing in those early years when we were shite.

BTW, I'm not a huge Bomber fan now, but could never hate him, and CS seems to be a breath of fresh air, but some people have short memories or are just too immature to know what went on when we were putting this team together again.

FWIW i quite like him. Now that a year and a half has gone by the dust has settled. Since he left he hasn't taken a swipe at our club, or even commented (unless asked). Very different to MM and collingwood debacle.

ALso admired him for when we won the flags, he made sure it was about the club and not him. You see some coaches win premierships and they put themselves out there trying to get a lot of the credit.

I recently attended the lunch that Billy Brownless and Barry Stoneham put on to honour Ling,Ottens,Mooney and Milburn..

During the question time Ling was asked about the rift between Bomber and Gazza during 2010 and that the media reported that Bomber and Gazza were not talking. Ling told the guy who asked the question NOT to believe what the media reported, then Moons asked Lingy for the micophone and said I want to answer this as well.

Moons went on to say that he wants the club to build a big bronze statue outside Kardina Park, of both Gazza and Bomber, and that he would go there every day and worship it !!!..... because both of them got him his premierships !!!

I will never understand how anyone who supports the Mighty Cats and has done so since 1963 and waited 44 years, does not have love for what Bomber did to our club is beyond me. Im with Moons, build a stature of our 2 time premiership coach and lets all worship it.

Yeah i still like him -dual premiership coach -and the style of football he introduced in 2007 was great to watch -even non Geelong supporters said it was exciting football to watch

Bomber as coach had plusses and minuses-like how he left Wojinkski out of 2008 GF-That was an absolute monumental blunder . Chris Scott for mine tactically is a far superior coach and is alot more street smart . Some posters have suggested that Scott walked into a plum job -they conveniently forget the 2010 PF -which if it hadnt been for Ablett would have been a 100 point loss . The club or coaching sub commitee who picked Scott -deserve alot of credit

Where Bomber should get alot of credit -is perservering and developing some players -the 2 who come to mind are Scarlett and Bartel . Scarletts 1st 20 or 30 games were dead set fecking shocking -i can remember going to a game at Carlton at Optus on a sunday when Carlton were still a very good side -we lost by about a goal and Bomber left Scarlett on Whitnall all day and Whitnall absolutely killed him -i thought to myself what can he see in Scarlett -like Blight delisted Primus very early in the piece -Scarletts said many times he is very grateful that Bomber kept persisting with him -and hes turned out a great fullback . The same with Bartel -when he 1st started he was slow got dropped a couple of times -he wasnt going to re sign at one point etc -Bartel has said hes greatfull to Bomber -so i think you have to give Thompson alot of credit for developing those 2 players when their careers could have easily gone the other way

Strange and complicated guy but I still like him.
IMHO if he hadn't left when he did we would not have won the the last premiership.
A master stroke! and his final gift to the club ;)

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened to the entire club including Bomber if that free kick against Moons wasn't paid in the qualifying final against St Kilda in 2010, and the Ling goal stood. That was a seriously deflating loss to the club.

So presuming he was still gonna leave at the end of the year, if he left after a final series with that qualifying final win, followed by a prelim loss or GF loss...or even back to back flags...I wonder what the vibe would be like toward him? Personally I don't have a problem, I still respect him and what he did for us, and what he now appears to be doing for Essendon. Certainly helps that we won last year!

I think the performance in the prelim in 2010 didn't help our view of Bomber or even Gary. You're only as good as your last game......for Geelong :D Gary may have got a lot of the ball in that game, but my memory is of him setting a poor tone right from the start gathering the hitout but giving off a shocking early sideways handball instead of launching a kick inside 50 when he had some space.

I thought this at the time of his departure, in time we'll remember him for what he did for this club, and not the way he left it.

I love the bloke, I choose to remember him as a great of Geelong, building up one of the greatest lists of all time and leaving at the right time.

The only issue hat came from that wasn't the fact he left, it was how he left. Lying throughout, and putting the squeeze on Ablett. With the 2011 flag in the bank though, I couldn't care less about it.

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened to the entire club including Bomber if that free kick against Moons wasn't paid in the qualifying final against St Kilda in 2010, and the Ling goal stood. That was a seriously deflating loss to the club.

So presuming he was still gonna leave at the end of the year, if he left after a final series with that qualifying final win, followed by a prelim loss or GF loss...or even back to back flags...I wonder what the vibe would be like toward him? Personally I don't have a problem, I still respect him and what he did for us, and what he now appears to be doing for Essendon. Certainly helps that we won last year!

I think the performance in the prelim in 2010 didn't help our view of Bomber or even Gary. You're only as good as your last game......for Geelong :D Gary may have got a lot of the ball in that game, but my memory is of him setting a poor tone right from the start gathering the hitout but giving off a shocking early sideways handball instead of launching a kick inside 50 when he had some space.

Yep have pondered that myself sometimes. Ah well. we will never know.

Yep have pondered that myself sometimes. Ah well. we will never know.

Thanks also for reminding me of that loss. IMHO we still would have beaten collingwood on gf day. They missed a lot of easy chances and saints couldn't bury them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion I still like Bomber Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back