Toast I wish we had more players with the attitude of Ivan Maric

Remove this Banner Ad

Big call Flea, sure to draw some fire. But I'm sure you have your reasons for saying it. Is it a stats thing or you've been watching the big guy ? I'd agree certainly not playing at his usual level, Injuries ? Or has he just been flogged too much ?
Hampson is good as a ruck who can jump, but isn't much around the ground, which was what we liked about Maric. Maric was pretty good in the middle when he came to us, but has slowly gotten worse when he jump was getting lower and lower. The big issue is Maric is getting slower and slower around the ground and his effect is marginal now. So the question is if they are getting to be the same around the ground, who is better in the middle? Not saying pension of Maric, just food for thought. Also that post was about v the roos and Goldstein in particular which beats Maric all the time as he just jumps over him all the time.

LeTic....what about dedicated full forward? He has good hands but also strong body...either a mark or 50/50. There is out get out of jail long bomb, let's Jack and Griff be mobile...he can spell TV (Hammer...shudder) in the ruck...thoughts?
The only problem with Maric as FF is, he just couldn't run up and back fast enough and would be a liability there. If they subs vest went away, then I would have no problem using that fourth possy with a second ruck ie TV or SH.

Well this goes to the 3 Forward concept...

I think JR and TV (current third) screw each other's space...and Ivvy as stop and prop wouldn't do that.

Your, mine, everyone's concern about rebound is true...I reckon it's more likely to occur when 2 talks and 2/3 defenders create a pack...ball isn't marked, defenders everywhere. A stop and prop big fella requires at least one dedicated defender...no zoning off in the square.

But need a midfield beast to create space for our outside work...too often out HBF & midfielders roll in under pressure...hence not capable of lowering their eyes and hitting a target...I reckon the current Forward Press style is simply quantity over quality.

IMHO 3 big leading forwards isn't the answer...2 leading and a stationary/ruck rotation can.

Remember we have Lids to come in...meaning the F50 would have JR, Griff, Lids, 3rd big fella, the Cotch/Dusty tag team...only one posi left for a hard nosed goal sneak...1/2 goals a game and 3 lockins a quarter...that's a little forward!

Old Ivan just doesn't have the same impact as when he started...worn out...

Will never reach his 2012 level again, he was much fitter, that's the problem when we have nobody to help him out (grigg doesn't count here).

But if he can keep going the way he is now then I'll be over the moon.

His kicking and decision making has improved out of sight too. I'll never forget the countless rushed handballs and kicks he'd give to a team mate who would pretty much have an opponent sitting on their head.

Does he lead on the field with his actions though? Probably not imo

Remember in that 2013 final where he went into 6th gear to try and pump the whole team up and get us across the line? We should've won that, shame everyone else was either too tired or not even willing to step on the clutch.

Maric is still going very well. Ranked 5th in the team after the Geelong game. The problem is that our back up ruckmen are having such little impact in the ruck, on the scoreboard and around the ground.
I'm hoping Ty picks up the pace this week we sorely need our second ruck to be having an impact in these contests and when they are in the fwd line.
Mind you Goldstein's frigging unbeatable.

We will have to consider Hampson for a few games very soon.

It sounds like he knows very well that the club handle chasing much better than being chased.

One thing that concerns me is the "family business" thing he mentioned at the end. I am not sure what he meant by that, but it sounds to me there are things going on behind the scenes we do not know of that have an effect on their performances on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish we had more players like Maric circa 2012.

I wish Maric would cut that hair which is over a year from being ironic off and go out gimmick free and set some examples of hardness.

Remember in that 2013 final where he went into 6th gear to try and pump the whole team up and get us across the line? We should've won that, shame everyone else was either too tired or not even willing to step on the clutch.

The best celebration ever. The definition of passionate.

It sounds like he knows very well that the club handle chasing much better than being chased.

One thing that concerns me is the "family business" thing he mentioned at the end. I am not sure what he meant by that, but it sounds to me there are things going on behind the scenes we do not know of that have an effect on their performances on the field.
I took it to mean we know what we have to do, just not going to say it outside the club.

Damn this game is really relentless. I think Maric still has value but he needs time to recover and we need Hammers to step up without having to say the obvious. Griffiths would be a monster if he could ruck but he's to valuable at chf and in terms of injury

What's all of this talk about Ivan being injured or tired?
I don't believe he has any injury and the 'needing a rest line' IMO comes more from the myth that we like to share that he is a Viking in battle or a 'warrior'.
If he is fit he plays and as a leader of the club he needs to lead the club.
Not saying he isn't, just strange for us in the stands 100M away to make the judgement.

Hampsons actually being dominating in the hitouts in the vfl.
The Bulldogs are setting up to lose the tap out and are winning beautifully . We need a ruckman that can contribute around the ground and Hampson ain't it and never will be. His next game will be Hardwicks last once he kicks it out on the full or drops a basic chest mark and the other team scores from it . The bloke simply is not up to AFL level .

Tyrone needs to pull the finger out and do something. I would like to see him be competitive in the ruck with stints forward. We are going to be screaming for another Maric

Played well on the weekend when given the opportunity in the ruck. Maybe the coaches need to pull the finger out and give him 6-8 weeks playing 40% ruck and see what he has to offer. He was drafted with a first round pick as a ruckman ...

Played well on the weekend when given the opportunity in the ruck. Maybe the coaches need to pull the finger out and give him 6-8 weeks playing 40% ruck and see what he has to offer. He was drafted with a first round pick as a ruckman ...
Are you joking . They had 4 weeks to play him there 100% in the VFL but that was too much commonsense

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast I wish we had more players with the attitude of Ivan Maric

Remove this Banner Ad

Back