Toast I wish we had more players with the attitude of Ivan Maric

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bulldogs are setting up to lose the tap out and are winning beautifully . We need a ruckman that can contribute around the ground and Hampson ain't it and never will be. His next game will be Hardwicks last once he kicks it out on the full or drops a basic chest mark and the other team scores from it . The bloke simply is not up to AFL level .

This guy has been a blessing for our footy club.

Not only is his on-field leadership at an extremely high level whether it be game day or at training, but even the way he speaks to the media is incredibly impressive.

For those of you who haven't seen his press conference that was uploaded to the Richmond website, the link is below. This man is sending out all the right messages, and isn't giving too much away, but still giving a valuable insight.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-05-05/maric-press-conference-may-5

I love Cotchin as captain, but maybe he can take back the reigns when Ivan retires...

Agree prodigy. He is definately one of the club leaders. He needs help in his ruck role though. There is too much of a burden on him.

I have also noticed in the last few weeks the amount of times that we when are coming out of the back line we are going through him. It has been done more than I have seen any team do so through their ruck man. Problem is that it is often not a possession on string and they are expecting the big man to run it out like a midfielder.

Go the big Ivvy

That's like when the Hawks let Roughead into the ruck knowing he may not win the majority of the taps but they have a hard body in their who can also be an extra midfielder almost.

Trade hammer for Roughie ? Ok done !!!. Let's shake on it.....

Big call Flea, sure to draw some fire. But I'm sure you have your reasons for saying it. Is it a stats thing or you've been watching the big guy ? I'd agree certainly not playing at his usual level, Injuries ? Or has he just been flogged too much ?
hampson is much better at winning taps and taps to advantage I believe where as maric is vastly superior around the ground.

I would like to see Maric have a rest and try to get back to his best. (He does look tired)

Why not give hammer a go again at least we will be elite in hitouts to advantage stat.

This guy has been a blessing for our footy club.

Not only is his on-field leadership at an extremely high level whether it be game day or at training, but even the way he speaks to the media is incredibly impressive.

For those of you who haven't seen his press conference that was uploaded to the Richmond website, the link is below. This man is sending out all the right messages, and isn't giving too much away, but still giving a valuable insight.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-05-05/maric-press-conference-may-5

I love Cotchin as captain, but maybe he can take back the reigns when Ivan retires...
Are you fair dinkum, as good as Ivan is he bumbled around every questions with every answer as shallow as the last. Who cares if he has a good attitude we still get belted every week. Talk is cheap!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd give the ruck role to Vickory and say play for your career. With Maric as backup with muscle, leadership, marking/smashing packs role around the ground.

Then again it could be late and I'm tired.

Poor old Ivan shouldn't have to get up and mumble crap to defend the club
I'm sorry this should sit with admin or coach
I'm over the talk and excuses as we all know that's what they are. We are a poor football side (DH admitted this after the dreamtime game last year) so the buck stops with him and his mates
Ivan looks like a Fool now just like Cotchin And Lids who all made statements during the week. If you cannot deliver it would then be best to remain silent as it can only end up looking ugly. Time to give the media dept a rest from all these fluff pieces and do same hard work on the track and soul searching between four walls
I'm not raising my eyebrows until I see onfield improvement with endeavour attitude leadership hardness skils and anything else. Oh yeah game plan would be nice

This is what I don't get. Hampson is a good tap ruckman but shit at everything else, Vickery is an alright tall marking forward but shit at everything else.

Wouldn't it make sense to play Vickery 75% in the ruck and Hampson 75% at CHF. Neither player will improve in the VFL doing the things they have already shown they can do in the AFL, just saying Hardwick!

Been average all year. Slow, running up and down on the spot, and constantly looking at what’s around him when the ball is in the air instead of keeping his eyes on it and attacking it.

Not our worst, but talks a good game does Ivan, like a lot of our guys.

Wouldn't it make sense to play Vickery 75% in the ruck and Hampson 75% at CHF. Neither player will improve in the VFL doing the things they have already shown they can do in the AFL, just saying Hardwick!
Not sure about the percentages, but Ty could be a Paddy Ryder type situation - a skinny tall when drafted who out of desperation - 1st quarter knee injury to Hille in 2009 - was thrown into the ruck and made a fist of it to the point of becoming the preferred 1st ruck. I think we worry about the mix of talls/team balance far too much and it feeds media speculation. Hopefully we have an ideal model to work towards like:
  • 1st priority is a durable, athletic mobile ruckman - must be able to win more than his share of taps at centre bounces, ball-ups and throw ins, be able to take intercept marks, be a link player, be dangerous resting forward, have/develop the smarts to work with midfielders to create opportunities from congestion, know his skill limitations by hand and foot.
  • 2nd priority is an athletic CHF - must be a good mark, create a contest, kick goals (av 2 a game), be an accurate and long kick
  • 3rd priority is a mobile Full Forward - must be a good mark on lead and in packs, contest well, kick goals (av 3 a game), be an accurate kick
  • 4th priority is an athletic third tall forward - similar to CHF attributes who creates a height match up advantage and does not crowd his FF or CHF
If injury strikes, both CHF and Third Tall Forward can also ruck as well as play as a key defender. All four need to develop defensive skills appropriate for their position - so ruck needs to be able to nullify a superior opponent's influence, spoil in marking situations, block, shepherd, tackle etc, tall forwards need to chase and pressure and use their athleticism and wing-span on a forward press to close down opposition clearances.

I am no football expert but I think if you had that (or similar) as a basis, then you can start to groom your talls accordingly. So I'd rate our best 3 options at each position as:
Ruckman - Maric, Vickery, Hampson
CHF - Griffiths, Astbury, Vickery
Full Forward - Riewoldt, Astbury, McBean
Third Tall Forward - Elton, Griffiths, Vickery

Based on that assessment, if we aren't going to play Vickery for whatever reason, then a player like Elton needs consideration due to his versatility. Going into the Norf game without a third tall up forward left us hopelessly undermanned when Griffiths - who let's face it is injury prone - went down. That's not bad luck, it's poor team selection. Maric is probably not the number 1 ruck to take us forward, so to be most effective he needs to share this role with Vickery. Astbury could pinch-hit at FF or CHF but is better to focus on being developed as a Key Defender as we have better options up forward. As exciting a prospect as McBean is, he is probably waiting for an injury to Jack cos he doesn't as yet have the versatility required of a third tall. Hampson doesn't really fit anywhere unless he can really improve his marking, kicking for goal and skills around the ground - so purely VFL with back-up for AFL if we get absolutely desperate.

It doesn't matter if we have AFL talent languishing at VFL cos in theory our AFL talls are getting the job done as a unit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast I wish we had more players with the attitude of Ivan Maric

Remove this Banner Ad

Back