Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
Wow , it's only a year away .
Time to start making plans now(for those who haven't already).
Two interesting proposals have been put forward.
A women's contest. This is great to see not just for the growing interest and participation but it is an opportunity to include an Australian side as the gulf between Australian and overseas sides isn't as great as in the mens.I'd like to see the overseas sides playing against State sides. That would also provide a respectable number of teams.
The second proposal is to have the Cup spread over three states.IMO that's a great idea but preliminary statements suggests the action moves away from Melbourne instead of culminating in Melbourne .

It wouldn't be an international cup if the Australian states competed. And they already have a states championship for women's footy in Australia. If you were to integrate the two, you'd simply invite the women from overseas to compete in the existing championships.

• Banned
It wouldn't be an international cup if the Australian states competed. And they already have a states championship for women's footy in Australia. If you were to integrate the two, you'd simply invite the women from overseas to compete in the existing championships.

Yes.................but naming isn't the issue.

The Australian states will never compete in this competition... they will smash every team.... My reply ment that this tournament will take place across 3 states.... It will start in Melbourne then head up to Sydney and then Brisbane.... It will mean that the countries participating will be doing a fair bit of traveling... In the past the AFL have taken this competition to the Victorian Country regional areas...

The conversation's gotten a bit confused in this thread.

The suggestion of Australian states competing was only in relation to the women's division.

I reckon you could run a great contest between the women's rep sides of NSW, Queensland, USA, Canada and maybe Ireland or someone else from Europe. The US Freedom women's team have toured Australia and been quite competitive.

In men's footy, any inclusion of Australian teams is a long way off yet.

One other very important point to note here is that the AFL have said they'll underwrite the travel costs of teams inside Australia. Be interesting to see how much interest is generated in Sydney and Brisbane by holding the comp.

• Banned
I reckon you could run a great contest between the women's rep sides of NSW, Queensland, USA, Canada and maybe Ireland or someone else from Europe. The US Freedom women's team have toured Australia and been quite competitive.

What ever it is called it would be good if the women's state championship were played together with overseas teams .
Maybe a divisional structure ?

Be interesting to see how much interest is generated in Sydney and Brisbane by holding the comp.

If this was WA or SA I'd say you'd get WAFL or SANFL sized crowds.
I can see a possibility of the GC (media) providing good interest and maybe Brisbane.If the Sydney media see can their way through to removing their blinkers then their would be decent crowds at Blacktown as Blacktown seems to be the flavour of the month.But historically you wont find press on the SFL GF or the NSW AFL VS GAA IR games or similar.

What ever it is called it would be good if the women's state championship were played together with overseas teams .
Maybe a divisional structure ?

The women's Australian championships already employs a divisional structure - it's held biennially and the next event will see Victoria, Queensland, WA and SA in division one, and ACT, NT and NSW in division two. PNG has competed in the past, as have youth development teams from the host states rounding out numbers to eight.

As an administrator of women's footy outside Australia, I'm not sold on the benefits of our girls attending. If we're to play against the states, how do we establish that the standard is appropriate for our players, so that we don't either get flogged in every match or pummel our opponents. After all, our girls aren't exposed to footy usually until their mid-20s, but our playing base is larger than the likes of Tasmania and SA. So it's tough to work out where we fit in.

Another concern of mine is the general reluctance of Aussie clubs & rep sides to tour internationally. Travelling Down Under would certainly help to motivate our elite girls to improve their fitness and skills, and give them a chance to perhaps learn some new tricks and see a couple of games. But the total cost to send a squad is around $100,000 and that comes entirely from their own pockets or time spent fundraising. There's little sponsorship money available to international footy generally, let alone women's footy. And if we're paying that much cash regularly to play 'away', it's money not spent on keeping the sport affordable or spent building our base at home. We're all for travelling if the effort is reciprocated by Australian clubs/rep teams travelling to us, but so far in my discussions with the Aussies, the general response is "there's no cash in women's footy, so you have to come to us".

The women's Australian championships already employs a divisional structure - it's held biennially and the next event will see Victoria, Queensland, WA and SA in division one, and ACT, NT and NSW in division two. PNG has competed in the past, as have youth development teams from the host states rounding out numbers to eight.

So it appears that there is no problem with overseas women's teams joining division two of the Australian women's championships except for those concerns you mentioned .Those are the same concerns overseas men's team have in coming to Australia for the IC - cost/benefit and morale .

The conversation's gotten a bit confused in this thread.

The suggestion of Australian states competing was only in relation to the women's division.

In men's footy, any inclusion of Australian teams is a long way off yet.

One other very important point to note here is that the AFL have said they'll underwrite the travel costs of teams inside Australia. Be interesting to see how much interest is generated in Sydney and Brisbane by holding the comp.

No worries champ... apologies for that.... There is no women's team playing Aussie Rules in Europe that I know of... Would be FANTASTIC if the AFL underwrite to travel cost but I dont think it would happen.... Each player in the GB team have to raise £2000 just to travel to Australia for the tournament..... We are not happy that it is going to be played in the non-AFL states.... I dont think that it will be really supported as well as it could...

No worries champ... apologies for that.... There is no women's team playing Aussie Rules in Europe that I know of... Would be FANTASTIC if the AFL underwrite to travel cost but I dont think it would happen.... Each player in the GB team have to raise £2000 just to travel to Australia for the tournament..... We are not happy that it is going to be played in the non-AFL states.... I dont think that it will be really supported as well as it could...

Italy has some women playing, and ARFLI are recruiting women via their website at the moment.

I also would say that as of 2011, there will be two Queensland AFL clubs, plus the Swans in Sydney and Western Sydney getting underway. So there are going to be lots of professional matches going on outside of Melbourne. I reckon having the tournament spread across Victoria and the northern states is a good idea - attendees can still get along to a few games of AFL footy, but might also get to enjoy some descent weather, as Melbourne can be pretty wet and cold in August.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big crowds supported us in the past in country Victoria.

So want to play in country Victoria ?

Not sure it would be the same in non-AFL states like NSW and Qld

Why not in "non-AFL" Newcastle .
It has the longest surviving football competition in Australia .
Why not in "non-AFL" Sydney where the Sydney competition still holds many founding teams that predate the VFL and NSWRL .

Yeah, not keen on the IC being played in NSW/VIC.

I would be disappointed as a player flying half way around the world to the home of Aussie Rules only to find that you're not in the home of Aussie Rules and are instead in enemy territory.

You would get a lot more support playing games in Melbourne and country Vic. Last time when they played in Warnambool they got fantastic crowds, whereas the crowds in the city were pretty poor.

That's the whole point .

But they will be even worse in Sydney/Brisbane.

There was no promotion for the Melbourne games at all last time. I only knew about it because I keep an eye on the IC.

Besides, its the home of football. If you're travelling across the world I would much rather spend my time in Melbourne where you can immerse in the AFL culture and attend numerous games rather than going into rugby territory.

But they will be even worse in Sydney/Brisbane.

I don't think so .
Great opportunity for the local leagues toget behind the event .

There was no promotion for the Melbourne games at all last time. I only knew about it because I keep an eye on the IC.

And you think that is going to change ?
And you think it would've made a difference ?
Greater opportunity to promote it in NSW and QLD where it might generate some interest .

People in general.... that live in Sydney and Brisbane arent as passionate about there sport compared to those who live south of the Murray... especially when it comes to Aussie Rules...

People in general.... that live in Sydney and Brisbane arent as passionate about there sport compared to those who live south of the Murray... especially when it comes to Aussie Rules...

Totally incorrect generalisation .
Do you know that aproximately 5000 people fly to the GF from perth each year regardless of the participants .There are plenty of passionate people in Sydney and Melbourne .I know of many Swans supporters that travel to Canberra and Melbourne for games .
Time to recognise that Melbourne hasn't done anything for the IC and maybe it's time to give some other places a chance .

I agree that heading west rather than north after Melbourne might have been a better choice (even Adelaide and Sydney rather than Syd and GC). Guess it's still not finalised as yet though, could end up all being in Melbourne yet. Who knows it might have really grabbed more attention in Adelaide or Perth and kicked on.

Remove this Banner Ad

IC2011 Format

Remove this Banner Ad

Back