ICC Champions Trophy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To all you Cricket fans, tonight sees the reigning World Champions Australia take on the Windies in their first match of the series.

Australia v West Indies, 4th match, Champions Trophy

Australia taking nothing for granted

The Preview by Anand Vasu

October 17, 2006

Shane Watson or Simon Katich as opener? Australia, typically, face a problem of plenty © Getty Images

The big boys of the tournament, Australia, get their first outing in the Champions Trophy when they take on West Indies at the Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai. It has been hard going for the batsmen on two slow pitches, and there's no reason to believe it will be any different on Wednesday. When speaking to the media ahead of the game both Brian Lara, the West Indian captain, and his counterpart Ricky Ponting, stressed on the fact that that the team playing better cricket on the day would succeed.

The West Indies, who played at the Brabourne Stadium against Sri Lanka, only managed 80 in that outing, but they have the advantage of knowing exactly what can go wrong on a track like this. Lara is a master at adapting to different conditions, and by now he is sure to have worked out a strategy that will give him the best chances of succeeding. How his team-mates deal with the same conditions, is a matter that remains to be seen.

What could turn out to be crucial is the opening partnership for the West Indies. Chris Gayle has the strokes to score quickly on any pitch, and when the ball is new and hard it will come on to the bat better than at any time. If he gets going, West Indies will have some sort of a platform from which to build. Equally vital is the other half of the opening partnership - Shivnarine Chanderpaul. Stephen Fleming showed on Monday that it was possible to bat long on this pitch, if you were willing to knuckle down and grind it out, and Chanderpaul has both the technique and the temperament to do that.

West Indies are also fortunate in that the likes of Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels bowl a brand of quickish offspin that could prove to be very hard to get away if the pitch crumbles like it did when South Africa batted second against New Zealand. Even with the dew factor in mind, it's difficult to see anyone winning the toss and choosing to insert the opposition.

Australia, as always, are in a more comfortable position than the opposition. They have a variety of different batsmen in their team who can tackle pitches that take turn. Simon Katich is a serious option when hard graft is called for, although Shane Watson seems to be a shoo-in to open the batting. There are also Damien Martyn and Michael Clarke, two batsmen who use their feet exceptionally well to the spinners, and can keep the score moving along almost without anyone realising it.

If anything, Australia's problem is one of plenty. If they went with form players, you'd expect Katich, Dan Cullen and Nathan Bracken to miss out. However, if they chose to adopt a horses-for-courses approach, then any one of these three players could be valuable. Ponting admitted that his team was considering playing Cullen, the offspinner, alongside Brad Hogg, but that this would depend on how many fast bowlers they thought they would need. If they went in with only Glenn McGrath and Brett Lee, with Watson as the third seamer, Cullen could get in. But it's hard to see this happening, as they have spin options in Andrew Symonds and Michael Clarke.

Ian Bradshaw, who has been one of the more reliable West Indian bowlers in the recent past, sat out the game against Sri Lanka, but he's sure to come back to the team for this big game against Australia. Speaking at a press conference a couple of days before the game, he was confident that West Indies could recover quickly from their setback, and hold their own in this group. "We believe that we have the talent within this side not only to win the next game against Australia but to finish at the top of our group and progress to the semi finals," he said, after a practice session at the ****hede Stadium. Topping the group is some distance away yet, but West Indies could certainly do with some good news in their immediate game against Australia.

© Cricinfo

Should be a great match to watch. My tip is Australia by 150 runs or 8 wickets.

Re: OT: ICC Champions Trophy Thread

We should dominate, considering how badly west indies played in their last match. I prefer Watson over katich to open. katich scores pretty slowly and i don't really like him that much. Anyway go Aussies.:thumbsu:

Also what is the name of the stadium in the article ''after a practice session at the ****hede Stadium.'' lol

Surely Hussey and Gilchrist would be the most leathal opening partnership around.

If it was me I'd have

Hussey
Gilchrist
Ponting
Symonds
Clarke
Watson
Lee
Hogg
Johnson
McGrath

Gives up an awesome top 5 to punish sides rather than play timidly. If we get either Hussey, Gilly, Ponting or Symonds batting 30 overs we'll win more games than we lose, get them in early.

cschreuder61 said:
Surely Hussey and Gilchrist would be the most leathal opening partnership around.

If it was me I'd have

Hussey
Gilchrist
Ponting
Symonds
Clarke
Watson
Lee
Hogg
Johnson
McGrath

Gives up an awesome top 5 to punish sides rather than play timidly. If we get either Hussey, Gilly, Ponting or Symonds batting 30 overs we'll win more games than we lose, get them in early.

Can't we find someone other than Hogg, can't stand that guy. I wonder what oppostion batsman think facing him, oh oh, Hogg, wish he'd put that toungue away, same with Lee. They can bowl like abosolute spanks. Lee when he's angry though is a great bowler.

kolchak said:
Can't we find someone other than Hogg, can't stand that guy. I wonder what oppostion batsman think facing him, oh oh, Hogg, wish he'd put that toungue away, same with Lee. They can bowl like abosolute spanks. Lee when he's angry though is a great bowler.

Cullen will be a useful replacement in time, but he's still learning the ropes and I think he'd get smashed if he was thrown into the lions so to speak against (particularly), a sub-continental team.

cshreuder said:

I'd usually agree with you there, mate, but the fact of the matter is that Hussey is the most devastating batsmen at the world now - and the role that he's made is own is the 5/6/7 'recovery spot'. Players like Andrew Symmonds only know one way, so they need to be batted up the order. The thing that makes Hussey so brilliant is the fact that his technique is THAT good that he can smash one over and display textbook defence the next.

kolchak said:
Why aren't you a selector.

Because i'd be the selector of the Indian Cricket Team. ;)

Heck, i'm sure i'd do a better job than the idiots who let politics get in the way of a reasonable selection process. :thumbsdown:

Australian XI going into the World Cup should be:

1. Gilchrist
2. Jacques
3. Ponting
4. Symonds
5. Clarke
6. Hussey
7. Watson
8. Lee
9. Johnson
10. McGrath
11. Cullen

Very hard to beat unfortunately. :(

If I had my way with the Indian Cricket Team it'd go something like,

1. Sehwag
2. Sachin
3. Dravid
4. Y Singh
5. Kaif
6. Raina
7. Dhoni
8. Pathan
9. Patel
10. H Singh
11. SreeSanth

That'd be a mad team, but the incompetent selectors stuff up things as always. :thumbsdown:

Score update thanks for Cricinfo.

West Indies won the toss and elected to bat first

West Indies 51/3 (12.3 ov)

McGrath 2.3 overs 0/8
Watson 1 over 1/5
Lee 4 overs 1/23
Bracken 5 overs 1/15

It isn't good news that the Windies won the toss and are batting first, because the pitch is definitely going to crumble come the second innings.

thanks for the update philhawk, wasnt sure when it started. i have one problem with ure aussy XI team and that is, hussey aint in it.

and also think that bracken would get a spot

danzan22 said:
thanks for the update philhawk, wasnt sure when it started. i have one problem with ure aussy XI team and that is, hussey aint in it.

Haha, after talking him up - I forget to put him in the team. :eek:

danzan22 said:
and also think that bracken would get a spot

I dislike Bracken for some reason. Not so much the way he goes about things as a person obviously, but he just doesn't show enough in my mind to suggest that he could lead the Australian bowling squad in 3-4 years time.

Johnson on the other hand, he definitely could.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Indies 234/6 (50.0 ov)

The Windies were let off! Atrocious piece of latter innings bowling their from Australia. The pick of the bowlers was, funnily enough, Nathan Bracken with 2/42. Watson bowled decently to finish with 1/34 from 8.

Let's see how he bats opening the innings now ...

philhawk said:
Australian XI going into the World Cup should be:

1. Gilchrist
2. Jacques
3. Ponting
4. Symonds
5. Clarke
6. Hussey
7. Watson
8. Lee
9. Johnson
10. Johnson
11. Cullen
Two Johnson’s? Mitchell and who? You think Mitchell Johnson is a better option than Bracken? Bracken's ODI average is 20, you simply can't leave him out.

And there’s no way Cullen is international standard yet, he’s far too inexperienced. He would get cut up by the quality batsmen, at this stage there’s too much loop on his balls and not enough consistancy.

I like the look of the batting lineup, although I still feel Hayden is Gilchrist's best partner.

How good are the Aust v Windies one dayers from the 80's (highlights during the break) - pure gold.:thumbsu:

Drummond said:
Two Johnson’s? Mitchell and who? You think Mitchell Johnson is a better option than Bracken? Bracken's ODI average is 20, you simply can't leave him out.

And there’s no way Cullen is international standard yet, he’s far too inexperienced. He would get cut up by the quality batsmen, at this stage there’s too much loop on his balls and not enough consistancy.

I like the look of the batting lineup, although I still feel Hayden is Gilchrist's best partner.
yes i also said that bracken deserves a spot and as for this mystery johnson, i have no idea who he is.

Drummond said:

McGrath. :eek:

Cullen should be blooded now before the World Cup. He's Australia's best spin prospect going in the World Cup and i'm sure that some petty trophy like the CT can be compromised for Australias long-term future.

Come now Drummy - Hayden is past his best.

philhawk said:
Hayden is past his best.

He may be past his best, but when he's in form he is very good. If Hayden is in good form then I would definately pick him. But I do think that we should select younger players so our team will be awesome for many years to come.

philhawk said:
McGrath. :eek:

Cullen should be blooded now before the World Cup. He's Australia's best spin prospect going in the World Cup and i'm sure that some petty trophy like the CT can be compromised for Australias long-term future.

Come now Drummy - Hayden is past his best.
Ahh so the mystery Johnson turns out to be McGrath. :p

1. Gilchrist
2. Hayden/Jacques
3. Ponting
4. Symonds
5. Clarke
6. Hussey
7. Watson
8. Lee
9. Hogg
10. Bracken
11. McGrath

Hogg is dependable, sure I’ve had my doubts as to whether he’s up to it but you can’t question his success. Cullen is a long way off becoming a world class bowler; even if he was given the CT to acclimatize to international cricket he still wouldn’t be ready for the WC. Hogg is the smart, reliable choice. No need to change a winning formula.

And although there's very little chance Hayden will ever represent Australian in ODI's again, I still would like to see him given another shot. He can't be worse than Katich, or Watson on tonight's form. :p

Drummond said:
Ahh so the mystery Johnson turns out to be McGrath. :p

1. Gilchrist
2. Hayden/Jacques
3. Ponting
4. Symonds
5. Clarke
6. Hussey
7. Watson
8. Lee
9. Hogg
10. Bracken
11. McGrath

Hogg is dependable, sure I’ve had my doubts as to whether he’s up to it but you can’t question his success. Cullen is a long way off becoming a world class bowler; even if he was given the CT to acclimatize to international cricket he still wouldn’t be ready for the WC. Hogg is the smart, reliable choice. No need to change a winning formula.

And although there's very little chance Hayden will ever represent Australian in ODI's again, I still would like to see him given another shot. He can't be worse than Katich, or Watson on tonight's form. :p
sorry philhawk but drummonds team i think is much more correct, although i think its a fight between brackern and johnson i think brackern just has him.

danzan22 said:
sorry philhawk but drummonds team i think is much more correct, although i think its a fight between brackern and johnson i think brackern just has him.

Fair enough mate! That's the beautiful thing about a forum - everyone can have their own opinion! :)

Anyway, guess who's back everyone.

SR Watson c Sarwan b Bradshaw 0 (3b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

Should be a great match to watch. My tip is Australia by 150 runs or 8 wickets

nice tip philhawk :D

Furn said:
Should be a great match to watch. My tip is Australia by 150 runs or 8 wickets

nice tip philhawk :D

LOL! It's like the first time i've ever tipped Australia and they've lost!

Jerome Taylor - what a gun! A Hattrick ... against the best team in the world!

Cricinfo

47.5 Taylor to Hussey, OUT, cleaned him up! Fullish delivery, Hussey has an ambitious and ugly swipe across the line - frustration, you'd have to say - misses it all ends up and the ball hits off stump, crucial strike from Taylor, thats the big one West Indies wanted, crowd erupts!

47.6 Taylor to Lee, OUT, and he's gone first ball! Taylor's a star tonight under the starry skies of Mumbai! Fires in one on a good length on off stump that nips in and catches Lee falling forward, gets rapped in front of middle and leg, every West Indian goes up in appeal, all eyes on Koertzen who takes his time and then ever so slowly raises that left arm...Taylor on fire, Lee departs first ball

Okay, take a deep breath. 16 to win. Two wickets left. West Indies in a huddle. Taylor on a hat-trick. No West Indian has ever taken on in ODI cricket.

49.1 Taylor to Hogg, OUT, and he gets it, can you believe it?!? History is made at the Brabourne Stadium! Wow, wow, wow! Taylor will never be forgotten here in Mumbai! A full, fast delivery on the stumps, Hogg just walks across, looking to work that around the corner but the man makes zero contact and the ball castles into middle stump, he's gone and West Indies are one away from victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back