If Kouta and Whitnall played, Carlton would have won by 10 goals plus

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues 2001, I think you're right, a lack of key position players did cost you dearly in the end. SOS clearly outplayed Hay in the early part of the game, until we figured out the advantage of dropping a player back to cover. You did enough, notwithstanding some poor shooting at goal, to win easily. And some of the Carlton players were clearly busting a gut for the first three quarters.

I thought the standard of the game fluctuated wildly. Some long passages were very poor indeed - and the worst aspect was that fumbles by some players weren't punished by the opposition. The number of times a Carlton guy would handball inaccurately, or drop a pass, and Hawthorn failed to bottle it up or take possession, was criminal. That said, it was obviously pressure and hard physical presence that kept the game alive as a spectacle. It was great to watch, and the most glaring difference between the two teams was Carlton's coolness under intense scrutiny, and the crispness of the passes and marks when they did come off. Hawthorn, on the other hand, always struggled to get clean possession, and the old habit of running the ball sideways out of the backline and stalling at the half forward line was in evidence again.

It was only sheer determination that kept us in the game. That, and a lot of luck, care of wild shooting at the Carlton goals.

Carlton are still a good side. Having Whitnall, Kouta, Porter and co back will improve your overall performance - but seriously, it wasn't the lack of good players that cost you, it was your inability to nail the game shut when you had the chance.

You could argue that Carlton did better against Hawthorn without Kouta and Whitnall. The difference in results from round 2 bears that out probably had a bit more run. Silvagni showed his 'experience' early but Hay reeled him in, Langford style.

What amazed me was the suppoertes sitting around me seriously expected SOS to get more protection from the umpire, after his history. 'He's all over him, umpire' was the common shout.

What amazes me is the interpretation and acceptence of the rule changes that have ruined our great game as an understood spectacle for people like me, by the majority of fans in the outer.

Complete Lemmings.

Doesn't anyone have any insight into the game anymore?

Originally posted by Pessimistic
You could argue that Carlton did better against Hawthorn without Kouta and Whitnall. The difference in results from round 2 bears that out probably had a bit more run. Silvagni showed his 'experience' early but Hay reeled him in, Langford style.

What amazed me was the suppoertes sitting around me seriously expected SOS to get more protection from the umpire, after his history. 'He's all over him, umpire' was the common shout.

Haha - yep I had to bite my tongue a couple of times when that happened. Kept thinking, now come on Blues2001, SOS gets away with a bit so you should just shut up. So I did. Didn't stop me crying about other decisions though (the umps didn't effect who won this game BTW. As far as I could see the bullcrap freekick Crawford got for HIM holding onto Franchina's jumper was negated by the free that Dean Rice got for the push in the back that just wasn't there from Aaron Lord. They were the only two influential decisions of the day), but I always voice my displeasure to the umps, even if they are having a good day.

Who Knows? I actually feel that Hawthorn is more susceptible to short forward lines, as was evidenced in the diabolical losses to Port Adelaide and Sydney. The Tall Hawk backs are the best in the business when it comes to containing or beating tall opposition forwards (as exemplified by Carlton round 2 & Richmond a few weeks back), but they're not quite so solid against smaller, crumbing type forwards.

Carlton would certainly have preferred to have the missing talls on board, but its unlikely that they would have played the game a lot differently. The Blues have to play things high intensity to ensure that opposition sides aren't allowed the space and opportunity to run them off their feet. The intensity they showed for most of the game was great, and I was pleased to see Hawthorn able to step-up to meet it (which they haven't been able to do in past years). Maybe there's been something good to come out of that Essendon debacle after all...

Remove this Banner Ad

If Kouta and Whitnall played, Carlton would have won by 10 goals plus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back