"If you make an attempt to dispose of the ball when tackled, even if it's an incorrect attempt, it's play on"

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 9, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
That quote comes from Brad Scott on AFL360 just now having spoken with the AFL directly today.

Since when was that the interpretation?

So there's no more dropping the ball when tackled? There's no incorrect disposal when tackled?

Just get rid of it, in any way possible, and you are all good.

I swear the AFL are just making shit up at this point.

That quote comes from Brad Scott on AFL360 just now having spoken with the AFL directly today.

So there's no more dropping the ball when tackled? There's no incorrect disposal when tackled?

The AFL have no clue but this has kind of been the rule since 2016 when the Dogs started dropping the ball or throwing it away when tackled and the umpires never pinged them.

Its that they will now ping a player who had no prior if they dont drop the ball or throw it away that is bat shit crazy.

They simply dont understand the game.

With no prior? It’s literally been that way for decades.

Blame the idiot commentators who somehow still don’t understand the rules and spread myths.

This is just wrong. Until 2016 if you dropped the ball when tackled it was HTB. Now its okay to drop the ball when tackled but if you hang onto the ball you will be pinged. Its insane.

This is just wrong. Until 2016 if you dropped the ball when tackled it was HTB. Now its okay to drop the ball when tackled but if you hang onto the ball you will be pinged. Its insane.
The interpretations have certainly varied over time, but the official rules haven’t.

The “genuine attempt” rules have been largely unchanged since 1948. Commentators have no excuse not knowing what they are.

The interpretations have certainly varied over time, but the official rules haven’t.

The “genuine attempt” rules have been largely unchanged since 1948. Commentators have no excuse not knowing what they are.

Oh I agree on the rules not changing. Its the AFL meddling constantly which is the issue, because usually the change they settle on is worse.

We needed a change. All they had to do was blow the whistle and ball up quickly if no prior, or if prior its HTB. Instead we get an even more confused mess noone asked for or wanted.

It's been like this for years with No Prior Opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless you're LDU. Then you get pinged for HTB after successfully handballing during a tackle.

I didn't see the interview, but I'm guessing Brad has deliberately left off some important context, like whether or not prior opportunity is involved, or whether the attempt is genuine.
Really nothing new here, except they are now stricter on trying to dispose of the ball if you have the ability (at least one arm free).
Previously, they were more inclined to blow it as a ball up if a player only had one arm free.

If you haven't had prior, all you have to do is attempt a handball or drop the ball toward your feet. If you just hang onto it hoping for a ball up, deliberately throw it or just let go without looking like you're attempting a kick, then you'll get done (with the exception of the ball being knocked out in the tackle when no prior, which is also play on).

If you've had prior, it MUST be a legal disposal.
Pretty simple.

Kevin Bartlett like this

I can't understand why the AFL have made it so complicated. I remember the interpretation being so simple in the 80s and 90s:
1) If you had prior opportunity, are tackled, and you don't dispose legally -> HTB
2) If you didn't have prior opportunity, and the tackle is applied in a way that makes it impossible to dispose legally (e.g. ball held to you), quick whistle for ball up
3) If you didn't have prior opportunity, but the tackle is applied in a way that allows you to dispose legally (e.g. swinging you by the jumper with both arms free), then you must dispose legally within a reasonable time (second or two), otherwise HTB

No need to judge 'genuine attempt' -- that's when it started becoming ridiculous (hate seeing players having to fake handball at the bottom of a pack).

With no prior? It’s literally been that way for decades.

Blame the idiot commentators who somehow still don’t understand the rules and spread myths.
It is written into the rule, but that is what makes the rule stupid.

The rule should be simple;

No prior and you hold the ball = ball up

No prior and you drop it or it gets knocked out = free against

Prior = free against

It should be that simple. The bullshit rule when it can accidentally come out is a joke and creates all the problems.

Cripps was awesome on 360 tonight - put him in charge.

I can't understand why the AFL have made it so complicated. I remember the interpretation being so simple in the 80s and 90s:
1) If you had prior opportunity, are tackled, and you don't dispose legally -> HTB
2) If you didn't have prior opportunity, and the tackle is applied in a way that makes it impossible to dispose legally (e.g. ball held to you), quick whistle for ball up
3) If you didn't have prior opportunity, but the tackle is applied in a way that allows you to dispose legally (e.g. swinging you by the jumper with both arms free), then you must dispose legally within a reasonable time (second or two), otherwise HTB

No need to judge 'genuine attempt' -- that's when it started becoming ridiculous (hate seeing players having to fake handball at the bottom of a pack).
“Genuine attempt” is the entire problem.

You either dispose of it legally or you don’t.

The Ridley one, apparently all Ridley had to do was dropped the ball and pretend he was trying to kick it and it would have been play on, what a joke

And h couldn't do that because his legs were half wrapped up.

His only two options were hold onto the ball or drop the ball and apparently cold dropping the ball was the right option.

The AFL is a shambles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back