If you took control of St.Kilda now, what would you do?

Remove this Banner Ad

List with a few great players, a couple of decent youngsters and lots of role players. Do they have one last shot at it now they no longer have Lyon? Do you go for youth and trade out some of the stars? Really tough time to be Pelchen right now. It could be because of him that Lyon left too.

I would trade Goddard to GWS (and I think that might have been the plan all along anyway...might explain Lyon's actions a bit more).

I would give Lenny Hayes the captaincy and consider trading Riewoldt if he wanted to go. (now the rebuilding has begun)

I'd trade Dal Santo to a Melbourne or Richmond for a first round pick, plus/or one of their emerging young mids (eg Conca, Gysberts, Petterd) it could be a huge bust, but if they can pick a potential superstar it could be a big win in the long term.

They could easily trade off Montagna and or Gilbert to GWS or Gold Coast for draft picks or one of the 17 year olds.
Basically, if they are conservative now, I can see them slowly drop and never compete back up the top for a decade. If they make some bold decisions with their team, disband the great team that was but in doing so ensure that each player is treated fairly, so only trade those who want to go and seek a premiership.

Obviously not all of what I am saying will happen, but if the Saints can get two or three really talented youngsters (including O'Meara) over the next couple of years, they have something to work with for the future.

I would invite Leigh Mathews to the club, then handcuff him to a chair there until he agreed to sign on as full time coach.

Would Richmond trade their first rounder for an old Dal Santo? Never.

What would I do if I was St. Kilda? Well it's an aggressive market, and Fremantle played it beautifully.

I would clean out the list, it won't get them a premiership, time to start looking for new stars.

Goddard > GWS
O'Meara + 1st round pick/2nd round pick > STK

I'd trade or delist Kosi, and 15 of there other hopeless players within the next THREE years, whilst bringing in youth and doing an extensive coaching search, trying to find the perfect man for the job.

Gotta keep guys like Riewoldt/Hayes there, they are the sole of the club, they won't win a premiership now though.

so get rid of 17 players in one year?
lol
what a fantastic idea

There's some truly embarrassing posts in this thread.

Basically, suggestions have been: trade top-end talent for speculative draft pick.

Great idea.

3. HUGE clean out of any player over 26 that you can get a good trade for. I'd sell Nick Riewoldt too if I could but highly unlikely they would move their captain on. Trade strategy is to try and get a high pick in the first round from GWS (Goddard), but primarily to get as many picks as possible in the 19-40 range. For a club with minimal youth, two picks in this range is better than one mid-late first rounder. Try and get one of those highly rated 17 year olds from GWS too.

Protip: If they're young they're bound to be better!

St Kilda doesn't have many players that would return a top 30 selection, and these would be considered by St Kilda to be "required players". Some clubs may be interested in Stanley, Kosi, Goddard or Montagna if the price is right.

Trading talented young players from other clubs will be difficult due to St Kilda's limited trade bait (inc draft selections). St Kilda may get a small improvement to their list with astute trading of fringe players who are undervalued by their current club.

The best chance for St Kilda is GWS. They won't trade for them but may pick as uncontracted players. This may require contracts to be renegotiated to finish this year - so would need players agreement. Goddard would have some value for GWS, but considering his age and likely salary, I wouldn't expect better than a band 3 compo pick (around pick 30 if used this year) Perhaps Montagna can be "traded" to GWS, like Brennan was last year - generating another band 3 compo pick.

This post makes my eyes hurt.

You're probably right. Goddard may have some value. Around pick 30 you say? Well, I've thought about it carefully and propose to trade Michael Firrito, Sam Power and Lachie Hansen to St Kilda for Goddard and their second round pick. Probably paying overs considering Goddard's age, but you gotta spend money to make money.

FMD.

Honestly.

All the next St Kilda coach has to do is phase out the bottom 6 players and replace them with Siposs and Cripps. Potentially you might look to trade a player like Gilbert for a bottom end second round pick. I'd sign Fevola too. He will cost you nothing, last pick in the rookie draft, contract with strict conditions and he'd be the perfect foil for Reiwoldt.

I wouldn't trade any of their guns. In fact they have had a long period of defensive conditioning. I would now allow them to play freely with the knowledge that if things are not going well, they have a defensive default to reel things back in again.

I fail to see that 99% of footballers want non-stop stoppage football. Let them take the odds to some things, get some confidence back. Outside their top 10 footballers, work out which ones are limited by a lack of skill, whereby only team football saved them from getting the axe altogether. They need players that can play one on one just as effectively as playing zone football and flooding back.

If Lyon leaving makes this a new era for the Saints, let's make sure they enjoy their football again, unless of course they consider themselves still perilously close to a flag and want to go again with the same game plan.

I think Riewoldt and Goddard have been more frustrated this year than I have ever seen them. Absolute guns when the Saints are looking to hurt teams going forward. They need a touch more run in the side but with decent skills. They need another tall one on one defender, probably to take Dawson's spot but he too may bounce back with a tweaking of the game plan, but aside from that, they just need to be refreshed and injury free.

I would hire the best defamation lawyer I could find & go hog wild. Should be able to clear about $10m plus from the media vermin & the posters in Bigfooty who have houses.

Use the money to boost the club & the fear to ensure the vermin never try to drag us down again.

definately sign KFC as a major sponsor.

Its pure genius! :D

st-kilda.jpg

2: Trade Ralph Clark and Gilbert and Gram
3: Get Brian Lake (after checking his injuries) ??? Maybe
4: Get Fevola - on less $$$ and strict conditions & an easy sacking clause
5: Use draft pick for a mature midfielder.
8: Get Nick Riewoldt fit asap

Agree with these points. Also I would add trading Gilbert, I think that would be a win win for any club. He needs out of St Kilda, he's not the player he has the potential to be and I don't see him achieving that at the Saints. Would be worth something too.

If we don't get Fev I think we need to attempt to throw big money at Dawes in the way that C'wood did to Ball to attempt to get him to jump into the draft and grab him. I think Fev would be more realistic though.

Am I the only one who thinks Dawson is worth keeping? He'd be one of the last ones I'd trade.

I agree with you. Unless we can get another full back, we don't have anyone to take his place. He is a good full back on the lead, his weakness is one on one strength when he get's monstered by Cloke figures, and doesn't know where to position himself.

I'd take one last crack for one more year.

Hire Eade which will give you a more attacking football plan.

Offer Fevola a minimum one year contract right now! You can always ditch him if you manage to get Dawes. Appoint Reiwoldt as his mentor as he won't take any crap in his final chance to get a shot at the cup.

Get Brian Lake and Chris Dawes if possible, ask older players to take a pay cut if necessary.

List manage Reiwoldt to the extreme, give Captaincy to Hayes?

If they fail early like this year start tanking for draft picks. Eade then has permission to sack everyone who will not be in the next premiership team (including Reiwoldt).

1. Get rid of Gilbert - absolute fire sale, he is not worth anything to the saints but he could return to form elsewhere, prime candidate for sydney.
2. Move Goddard forward. He is a rare player and you need to get value for his touches, behind centre is not value.
3. Stop playing Dawson and Blake. Especially Blake who must be replaceabe and hopefully Dawson who gets exposed everytime Fisher and Goddard are too far away to bail him out.
4. Get Fev, might as well, there aren't any other full forwards around unless you want to be the latest team to prove Jack Anthony can't play.
5. Trade Kozi, he can't play but he manages to hint that he might be able to so someone will convince themselves that they can turn him around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would hire the best defamation lawyer I could find & go hog wild. Should be able to clear about $10m plus from the media vermin & the posters in Bigfooty who have houses.

Use the money to boost the club & the fear to ensure the vermin never try to drag us down again.

You w***er.

that should get you a few bob.:p

Give it one last shot. Hayes and Gwilt come back in next year and no one bar Hayes will be over 30.

Milne will be 32, Blake 31.

The answer depends on whether the new coach wants to prolong the mid-table agony for a couple of years while hoping to pluck some freaks from the draft, or cut to the chase.

From my perspective, the logical thing to do is
- appoint a coach with a track record of developing youth
- announce to the players that you are going to rebuild with a focus on the longer term
- let the senior players - from Schneider (27) upwards - know that they are unlikely to see a flag in the next three years. Give them the option to be traded. Only trade for picks or quality youngsters (23 and under)
- prune ruthlessly, play the kids and take your lumps, like Malthouse did in his first year at Collingwood

Keep doing what Ross started and clean em out. Blake, Dawson, polo, Stanley, Clarke just off the top of my head should be out the door ASAP.
Yes those blokes should go. Maybe Ross Lyon will be given control of Freo's list and get Brett Peake back there as well because he needs to go.

Now I'll admit I'm not up to date on there youth stocks. But they have some pretty good experienced cattle, whilst they are not Geelong something Chris Scott seems to of done well is intergrate youth around the established guns and from afar it seems to be the prefect way to develop younger blokes faster, they have to adapt to there more experienced team mates standard quicker and it seems once they find the pace of the game and buy into game plan it works quite well .

With Goddard, saint nick, Hayes , Milne and there other seniors players who are very very good I would look to try and re invigorate them with a blend of quick young players to use around reserve older blokes as the foundation. It to me would accelerate the development of the young as well as refresh the side and there seniors. Might not be top 4 outfit this way, but still good enough for the top 8 and a better way to be prepared for the future. Just my opinion.

I would look to implement this with a much faster.
More attacking game plan because they sure have the talent to up the anti and play skillful fast footy

They have a strong leadership group, they will be fine.. they have alot of strong individuals mentally... change of gameplane will only help Rooy and some of the older players.. They should trade for Lake

Brian Lake is a good player (a former AA FB) but will be 30 next year, and is contracted so he won't come cheap, plus he's been injured most of the year and had one of his own coaches (Montgomery) question his commitment. Pass.

I'd be holding my head in my hands.

It's a bad year to start a rebuild. It's reported to be a shallow, compromised draft. The second round starts at selection 30 ( or later) and available talent tapers off quite a bit. First round draft picks are particularly valuable if there isn't much to pick from in the later rounds.

St Kilda doesn't have many players that would return a top 30 selection, and these would be considered by St Kilda to be "required players". Some clubs may be interested in Stanley, Kosi, Goddard or Montagna if the price is right.

Trading talented young players from other clubs will be difficult due to St Kilda's limited trade bait (inc draft selections). St Kilda may get a small improvement to their list with astute trading of fringe players who are undervalued by their current club.

The best chance for St Kilda is GWS. They won't trade for them but may pick as uncontracted players. This may require contracts to be renegotiated to finish this year - so would need players agreement. Goddard would have some value for GWS, but considering his age and likely salary, I wouldn't expect better than a band 3 compo pick (around pick 30 if used this year) Perhaps Montagna can be "traded" to GWS, like Brennan was last year - generating another band 3 compo pick.

Conclusion: Keep the list largely intact and seek small improvement rather than a compete clean-out. Sacrificing Goddard and/or Montagna may return a couple of draft picks to be used now or saved for next year.
Wait....... what?

Goddards likely salary would mean band 3??

Haha, surely you are trolling. Goddard + Montagna would attract at least 3 top 10 picks. It wouldn't happen, but most likely scenario (in a parallel universe) would be:
Goddard + Montagna + second rounder for picks 2, 3, 7, 9

Remove this Banner Ad

If you took control of St.Kilda now, what would you do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back