If your team folded tomorrow who would you go for? Or would you follow another sport?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that it is remotely likely to happen and i hate to say it but probably Freo

Reason, Just love watching, barracking and drinking LIVE at the game.

IMO Watching AFL on TV is just a mere shadow compared to the experience of being there

I have always found it a bit strange that a few of my mates who are really passionate about the game have retained there allegiance to the team they supported on the Winners back in 70's and 80's and even when there Melbourne based team is in Perth, they rarely go to see there team but yet whinge about the lack of coverage for there team in Perth.

Re: If your team folded tomorrow who would you go for? Or would you follow another sp

Probably Sydney because my uncle played for them and most of my family support them, but I loved watching the Bulldogs in the last few rounds this year so would be tempted to follow them somewhat.

Re: If your team folded tomorrow who would you go for? Or would you follow another sp

Lavender Bushranger said:
I'm not overly interested in the AFL as it is anyway. The only reason I follow it is because of my love for the Saints.

If they didn't exist, I wouldn't have any concerns with never watching another game of AFL again.

It's funny though, I used to go to at least 2 non-Saints matches every weekend. Was a deadset footy tragic 5-10 years ago.

Don't know what it is, but modern footy just doesn't do it for me like it used to.

im with you on this one.

i love my cats, and am fortunate that i go every week, have done for many years, and i can still get something vaguely resembling a real footy experience. as it is now, with the exception of geelong, the victorian clubs are the same thing, different jumper.

i appreciate why certain things had to go in this league, but how you can have 9 clubs playing at two grounds is beyond me. i miss the days of venturing into enemy territory, experiencing the different sights and sounds that each different ground brought to the table. it pains me that the young fans of today will never sample what it was like to stand at the yarra falls end at vic park, in front of the scoreboard at windy hill, on the doug hawkins wing at western oval, the spacious outer at moorabbin, or the classic stands at the junction oval. these were the things that made footy exciting, and as a kid, i remember sweet FA about alot of the actual game being played when i went, but i remember plenty about the things that happened all around me. you just dont get that any more. my greatest regret in footy is that i never got to go to grounds like arden st, albert park (when the swans played there) punt road, glenferrie and brunswick st before it all changed. admittedly some of these grounds were gone before i was born, but i still wish sometimes id been able to experience them. what really upsets me is that come the start of next season, all of these grounds will be a shadow of their former glory. and then theres waverley...

if geelong got the boot, as i said earlier, id be following bonbeach in my local league. at least id feel some kind of connection to the locality of the team i was following.

Not sure if i ever could follow another team after investing so much emotion in my team over the last 20 years. I would watch the footy, but wouldn't be able to immerse myself in it.

As a Dee fan, its a prospect which haunts us every year :)

I'm a huge motorsport fan, so I'd devote most of my attention to that sport. I would have a soft spot for the Stangers and also Old Trinity in the ammos.

Like all other dockers viewers, I'd be straight back to where we all came from (although we all deny it - only followed the WAFL ect ect ect) back on the Eagles bandwagon, like we were in 92 & 94.
As far as I'm aware the Dockers still exist. What prompted the switch (back) to the Eagles?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was not my suggestion at all. Mutant's post reads like he is a Freo supporter who supported the Eagles before the Dockers joined the league. His team now shows as West Coast. I'm wondering what prompted the change.

Common sense and basic decency I expect may have featured.

If the Eagles vanished tomorrow I'd still be into the AFL, I'm not that hopelessly partisan. I wouldn't rush into a decision but have several options.

But experiencing the Eagles folding for some reason, it would have a bit more scarring no doubt (and we're a youngish, successful club...). Growing up watching the situation with Fitzroy, the early seasons of the NRL, the NSL into A-league, it all has the potential to turn you away for a bit. I think we all have a skeleton club somewhere.

I’d have definitely a lesser interest in the game as it is, because even supporting West Coast I don’t enjoy it quite as much as I did in the late 90’s and 00’s.

I would probably just be a casual observer only. Watch the odd game here or there, watch the grand final etc but I’d never follow another side.

Premier League I quite enjoy now, and I’d probably watch more international cricket as well.

If the Eagles vanished tomorrow I'd still be into the AFL, I'm not that hopelessly partisan. I wouldn't rush into a decision but have several options.

But experiencing the Eagles folding for some reason, it would have a bit more scarring no doubt (and we're a youngish, successful club...). Growing up watching the situation with Fitzroy, the early seasons of the NRL, the NSL into A-league, it all has the potential to turn you away for a bit. I think we all have a skeleton club somewhere.
You're safe. West Coast would be the last team to go. Most that would happen but still unlikely is to change the name to Perth.

Would like to hear what the Gold Coast fans think?
If Gold Coast folded (which isn't going to happen anyway) then personally I would probably wait for a Tasmanian/ACT/NT team to come in before I started following an AFL team again and choose from one of those.

Personally I find it far more interesting following a team from day 1 and seeing the growth and development of players, team culture, supporter base etc. than I do from jumping in and following an established team.

I'd still take a general interest in the game but not to the extent of actually following a team.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

If your team folded tomorrow who would you go for? Or would you follow another sport?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back