Im Terrified

Remove this Banner Ad

Fairtex

All Australian
Feb 2, 2010
MCG
AFL Club
Melbourne
After seeing what Hawthorn Did to Richmond last Saturday night, and our performance against Freo. I'm terrified what might happen in Round 1 against the hawks. Anyone else feeling this?

we were just sloppy in everything we did through the middle today, Sandilands gave them first use, (anyone see his 50 metre hit from the boundary), they played the ground better, were first to the ball.

Couldnt of been much worse, Scullys handballs are lightning but do we have any players quick enough to catch them?

Well, some worrying signs.

Miller still cant hold onto a mark.

Jurrah looked out of sorts, bit of a worry.

Pettard got caught alot.

Our forward line really struggled.

On the upside, Bate and Watts should come in,
whether that strengthens the forward line will depend
on how far Watts can progress in his 2nd year.

I'm freighted, I really am. I can see another season of heartbreak and it scares me. I know I'm probably being paranoid considering it was over there and not here but... still, I expected a lot more.

Was good to see Scully, Trengove and Joel MacDonald put in a really good effort though. They were our best, easy. Scully and Trengove should play 22 games this year, honestly.

Tonight just showed how far off you guys are and what happens playing kids. I can;t say I am dissapointed because some Demon supporters needed a reality check after giving it to us all summer and telling us how much better you are than Richmond, ecspecially after the Hawks game.

Scully looked good, however I do fear for your side come rnd 1 as I saw what Hawthorn could do last week and they are out for blood this year.

Good Luck

Talk about your complete overreactions, for the love of Christ it was just a NAB Cup game.

Yes the skills were shocking but besides the Intra-club match this is the first time most of those guys have played together and it will take longer than one game for them to gel.

Skills were rusty but once again this is the first AFL level competitive match since round 22 last year, I think we can allow for some leniency.

We won't play on a ground as big as Subi every week.

Defensive gameplan doesn't suit us, we are turning the ball over anyway we may as well try attacking and moving the ball quicker. It couldn't do any harm seeing as we are turning it over far too often playing so defensively.

Players really need to man up, too many times there was a Fremantle player with nobody within 20 meters of him.

I was stunned at the amount of chest marks that were dropped, perhaps its just a case of rusty skills.

Overall, get a grip the lot of you.

Talk about your complete overreactions, for the love of Christ it was just a NAB Cup game.

Yes the skills were shocking but besides the Intra-club match this is the first time most of those guys have played together and it will take longer than one game for them to gel.

Skills were rusty but once again this is the first AFL level competitive match since round 22 last year, I think we can allow for some leniency.

Defensive gameplan doesn't suit us, we are turning the ball over anyway we may as well try attacking and moving the ball quicker. It couldn't do any harm seeing as we are turning it over far too often playing so defensively.

Players really need to man up, too many times there was a Fremantle player with nobody within 20 meters of him.

I was stunned at the amount of chest marks that were dropped, perhaps its just a case of rusty skills.

Best post of season 2010 so far.

Everyone losing their shit oughta take a jar of xanex and relax!

It'd the same if we had pumped Freo by 10 goals, you can't take the results you get in the NAB Cup seriously.

Like Naitanui's game last week, was very good but it doesn't mean he'll be doing that week in and week out during the season and the Eagles fans won't be expecting him to be doing that. He's a young player playing in one of the most difficult positions in the game and doing it differently than most other rucks in the league, there will be times where he looks absolutely shocking and there will be times he looks absolutely brilliant that's what happens when you are a young player and the same goes for Watts and any other draftee.

Like the Hawks/Richmond game,there is going to be inconsistency with young players especially when you are playing a NAB Cup game and the majority of the team is young blokes that have been given an opportunity, they aren't going to get it right straight away and we shouldn't expect that of them.

The NAB Cup is to give the supporters a look at their newest recruits and other younger players before the real stuff begins so they can look at these kids without worrying about the result.

Don't stress my friends, use the Richmond model from the last 29 years. Then 'plan' and 're building'.
Hawthorn will most likely give you guys a spanking, but they will be up in the Top 4 so no real need to stress.

Just sit back and enjoy the development of your youngsters this year, because coming from a Richmond supporter that's all we can do.

oh and smile :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a lot of good young talented players at your club, the midfield was a problem area which was identified and went a long way in addressing with the recruits over the pre-season but it can take some time for the young kids. When we got Swallow he was solid in his first year, struggled to get senior games in his second year due to injuries and some deficiencies and his third year (last year) was sensational. They just need some time to build a strong body and get accustom to the speed and physicality of the AFL.

I think an area that needs to improve is defensive pressure on the ball carrier and the other runners nearby.

I wouldn't worry about it, a lot of young sides struggle on the road and Subi is as hard a trip as you can make.

I think an area that needs to improve is defensive pressure on the ball carrier and the other runners nearby.
That is a definite area and the solution is a combination of an increase in tempo footy as well as reading the play better and being aware of opponents without being in two minds. We had the exact same symptoms early last year with players not finding space and leaving opponents on their own too often. To a large extent it looks like we may have to start from scratch again in that area but I have confidence that they will improve as they did last year.

The other area is fluid ball movement but given the amount of new faces coming together it is reasonable to expect a lot of teething problems.

Agree with Dez, too much is being read into that performance. What was more concerning for me was the lack of accountability. We looked very slow and observant when we didn't have the ball, and a few players switched off.. We also need to work on protecting the ball carrier so they have time to use it. I thought Freo did that quite well. We seemed very handball happy and it didn't eventuate into anything inside forward 50.

Rd 1 against the hawks will be the proper yardstick to guage improvement.

Agree with Dez, too much is being read into that performance. What was more concerning for me was the lack of accountability. We looked very slow and observant when we didn't have the ball, and a few players switched off.. We also need to work on protecting the ball carrier so they have time to use it. I thought Freo did that quite well. We seemed very handball happy and it didn't eventuate into anything inside forward 50.

Rd 1 against the hawks will be the proper yardstick to guage improvement.

One thing I did notice which was fairly obvious being at the game was you guys were dropping a fare few pretty easy marks which allowed us to get in and tackle and in a few cases goal from that. The conditions were perfect for footy so it did seem a bit odd.

Yes I can't argue with that. The dropped marks came in crucial passages too, whether in F50 or in the centre on the break. Hopefully it's just a result from a lack of match fitness causing lapses in concentration, because some were very basic.

You're spot on Dez, it was only a pre-season game and it doesn't mean an awful lot. I thought the skills from both sides were pretty bad, but that is to be expected at this time of year. The young fellas will learn a lot from that outing and build on it. No side wants to peak at this time of year, this time of year is more about giving people opportunities, throwing them in the deep end and experimenting. By week four of the pre-season you will probably see a very different side from what you saw today.

Could we use the Bernard Tomic excuse with the amount of youth that we have? i think that it would be reasonable i mean the match didnt start until 8:30 melb time it was prob "past their bed times" it was absolutley "rudiculus"

Like Naitanui's game last week, was very good but it doesn't mean he'll be doing that week in and week out during the season and the Eagles fans won't be expecting him to be doing that.

You obviously don't know eagles fans very well.

I don't think anyone is over reacting. We can only base our opinions on what we've seen so far. I still for the love of me can't see a gameplan! 3 seasons with Bailey and there is still no evidence of a gameplan! NAB Cup is the perfect forum to trial this stuff. We have supposedly been working on our kicking all summer, but we still couldn't hit a target! I certainly haven't been talking up our chances this year like some Dees supporters on here, but I was really looking forward to seeing this first game and seeing a contest against a side who has also struggled of late, but it was very very disappointing. There is absolutely no flow to our game coming out of defense moving through the middle. I can't remember 1 passage of play in the game where there was complete flow from defense to attack. Where were the shepherds and support for the ball carrier? It's the same fundamental errors in our players game, that has been around for the last 3 years! I would have thought chest marking, shepherding, manning up, hitting a target withing 30 metres could be performed by all players after a positive pre season. But they all had problems doing these simple things. If we can't do the simple things, how the hell are we as supporters supposed to be positive! NAB Cup or not, it was a reality check on where we are exactly as a team. Major improvement still needed in all areas....

I was fully prepared to give the Dees a chance in 2010.

But there is only so much sh*t the hierachy can spin and we, as mere supporters, can absorb.

That performance was worse than terrible. If Joel McDonald hadn't had been out there it might have been 20+ goals.

Why would I buy a membership to watch that garbage every week?? I'm better to watch my local footy where I at least know everyone is having a fair dinkum dip.

Kicking skills? I thought that was what our coaching staff had been spruiking all summer? A new methodology for improved performance? Memo to coaching staff: how about be first to the ball so you get to kick it in an attacking fashion to begin with! That might help????????

I cheered for our second point of the match for gods sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Im Terrified

Remove this Banner Ad

Back