In the end we were good enough but not good enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Trust me, i am just as filthy on Cotchin's miss, more so as i rate him our best kick.

Not hating on Grigg - his game was fantastic - but the reality is you don't win close games by missing shots like that in the final 10 minutes. Doing what needs to be done to win a game is the difference to winning or losing - and those basic skill errors under pressure at the pivotal times deserve to be scrutinized, otherwise we are accepting the same "close enough is good enough" mentality that has ****ed this club up for 30 years.

Yes Grigg had a great game, but yes his easy miss in the last 10 minutes was not good enough IF we want to win against good sides

That kick he had for goal was still pretty difficult... it was very windy, probably didn't look like it on tv. The fact that we are in games til the end shows we are improving.... have patience. We got closer to a team than we haven't beaten in 13 games. It won't turn in an instant but it has turned a heap in 12 months. Do not forget how crap we were 12 months ago....

Fantastic game tonight, really enjoyable to watch.:thumbsu::thumbsu::

I thought you were the better team on the night, to keep up with the Saints without Jumping Jack Flash is amazing, you will knock 'em off next time Tiges.

Love Hardwick, he is just such a good coach for such a young team, - he is doing a seriously good job.

Trust me, i am just as filthy on Cotchin's miss, more so as i rate him our best kick.

Not hating on Grigg - his game was fantastic - but the reality is you don't win close games by missing shots like that in the final 10 minutes. Doing what needs to be done to win a game is the difference to winning or losing - and those basic skill errors under pressure at the pivotal times deserve to be scrutinized, otherwise we are accepting the same "close enough is good enough" mentality that has ****ed this club up for 30 years.

Yes Grigg had a great game, but yes his easy miss in the last 10 minutes was not good enough IF we want to win against good sides
Cancelled out by his snap earlier on that really had no right to go through.

What l loathe...

1) Our skills and turnovers. Still our biggest threat to success. How many times did we break clear, with runners left and right, and we cant dispose a simple handball. Drop ridiculously easy marks. Kicking over the head of a target 15 metres away.

2) ANGUS GRAHAM - piss weak, lazy, inept and an embarrassment

3) Robin Nahas... has no football brain, a liability.

4) Foley... great to see him back, but he is so far off the pace. And... for all his good stuff, he still has an AWFUL habit of holding onto the pill too long and all the options have been exhausted and there's no where left to go but **** it up.

5) Mitch Morton - when will he realise he is part of team. I dont like him, never have, never will.

Gotta laugh.

1. We caused the Saints to turn the ball over just as much. Pressure and implied pressure are great things.

2. Gus won the ruck and meant we had equal first use of the ball. I obviously saw a different game.

3. Nahas sparked lots of run. Very good 3rd quarter.

4. Foley is struggling with the pace.

5. Morton brought the ball to the deck for about 5 or 6 goals when he was up against 2 or 3 Saints.

It's funny what our pre-conceptions have us see.

Cancelled out by his snap earlier on that really had no right to go through.

life doesn't work that way i'm afraid.

Again, not having a go at Grigg's game, just point out the fact that until we can erase errors like those when the game is there to be put away, we won't ever be a good side. We HAD this game to win, it was ours to be won and a few idiotic decisions, and but skill errors at high pressure moments meant we didn't seize it.

I will not accept this as a success purely because we fought it out and were brave. This club is too good to accept that shit, and so is this side. We are clearly capable to playing tough, smart football - but at pivotal moments in games that are there for us to win, we always make these sort of errors.

Gotta laugh.

1. We caused the Saints to turn the ball over just as much. Pressure and implied pressure are great things.

2. Gus won the ruck and meant we had equal first use of the ball. I obviously saw a different game.

5. Morton brought the ball to the deck for about 5 or 6 goals when he was up against 2 or 3 Saints.

yeah pretty much agree with all of that.

The biggest thing out of this game was our ability to produce a spread of goals. Bee's dick off winning, that's how it goes. I heard a commentator say we played above ourselves. I don't know about that. Everyone acknowledges we have talent through the middle and other area's, so which is it? Are we finally playing to our abilities? Are the Saints (with no option B game plan), finally sliding to a 4 to 6 ranked team. We are starting to play some serious footy, it's not about playing above ourselves, it's about consistency. The issue for mine is can we back that effort up two weeks in a row.
Not good enough? Don't know, but i think there were a shitload of positives to take out of the game. Think about it, compared to last season, we are only 20 points off having a 2-0 scoreline against two solid oppostion teams.

we have come along way since last yr
we have improved 200% this year might miss the finals but heading in the right direction its clear.

everyone know certain players get "special treatment" from the umpire (judd St.nick)

our midfield won the battle tonight which is great to see our young guns showing the will be a force.

White seems to have taken his game to another level which is greart for us.
we should have won last night (not blaming umps) we had a few shots in the last with abit more exp we would have slotted.all this without the best forward in the league. thing are looking up at tiger land finally

Take heart from the fact that we could have been beaten by a winning goal by either

1) Stephen Milne

or

2) A first gamer (Archer)

Dont know which would have been worse.

Felt sick watching those two marks. knew that I wasnt going to enjoy the last two minutes.

spot on dude. Here we were after fluffing chances to ice the game and within the blink of an eye, they have 2 marks with definite chances for them to steal it.
Now as you and I and all the tigerheads in here know, i thought ****ing jinxed again, been there done that to many times. But you know what? It didnt happen. They didnt "steal" a gift 4 points, We didnt lose after an "improved" effort etc etc etc. And at the end of the day, we are on the board after R2 with a half decent %. That is a 1000% improvment on last year and that after playing 2 finalists with another to come. ;)

I was really impressed with the intensity and goal kicking spread, Martin's 3 goals came out of nowhere. This game showed that we can match other teams in the middle but our defence really needs to stop marks inside 50, far too many times they were hit-up on the lead 30-40 our from goal. Jackson, White and Lids were the best for mine, Grigg and Martin were also solid

life doesn't work that way i'm afraid.

Again, not having a go at Grigg's game, just point out the fact that until we can erase errors like those when the game is there to be put away, we won't ever be a good side. We HAD this game to win, it was ours to be won and a few idiotic decisions, and but skill errors at high pressure moments meant we didn't seize it.

I will not accept this as a success purely because we fought it out and were brave. This club is too good to accept that shit, and so is this side. We are clearly capable to playing tough, smart football - but at pivotal moments in games that are there for us to win, we always make these sort of errors.
FFS astro, take a chill pill. Yes he probably should have kicked it, but it was a tough kick, and whose to say someone else wouldn't have kicked it. There where probably 5 or so moments we didn't sieze as you say - Cotchin's miss in the 3rd, Nahas spinning out of the pack in the last and missing everything, Mitch's stupid attempt at a mark in the last - but that shit happens in footy to EVERY team. You can't kick every goal, or make every smother.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have to say that was the most pleasing game of footy through my eyes in a long long time.If there really is a corner then I think we've rounded the bend.
I don't normally do this type of thing but allow me to be self indulgent as I've just watched the game(bloody wedding) and I am tickled pink.
Brett Deledio- Love that he was able to go with the best player in the game and rise to the level,and then beyond.A superstar performance.
Jake King- I seriously rated him the worst player in the league 18 months ago,yet as each game passes I have gone from begruding acknowledgement to unabashed admiration.Full credit to him for single mindedly turning himself into a player of real substance.I love his aggression now.Once upon a time it was misguided stupidity.Now he has a very important role and is showing real maturity and smarts.He made a statement last night that swept his teammates along.It needs to be understood that this group among their peers has been laughed at,treated with disdain,bullied and intimadated.I love the fact that Jake went and grabbed their biggest player and dumped him.Then their enforcer and dump him.But importantly he then put his down and got on with playing.His message was clear though and I am convinced it made his teammates walk taller and play harder.I cant believe Im saying this but he is a leader out there at the moment and super important.
Matt White- much the same as above.Will still make silly errors but his appetite is inspiring and he has crossed the line from being pushed around and mocked to the other side.
Daniel Jackson- He would have to be leading the best and fairest after 2 games.I think his game has gone to another level.
Brad Helbig- I am 100% certain that we have got one here. I see him being a bit like Matty Rogers in days gone by. He's tough and brave and looks like he could fill any role you throw his way.
Jake Batchelor- For a kid he absolutely loves body contact so he is already there.The rest will come.
Ty Vickery- Pretty sure there is going to be a lot of egg on a lot of faces.you can see his confidence soaring weekly and will soon be a nightmare match up.Will be one of our most important players soon if not the most.
Trent Cotchin-I thought that was his best 4 quarter game.His clean hands and sturdy feet under pressure is priceless.
Dustin Martin- What can you say? This new sub rule is made for him.
Daniel Connors- Hopefully off field is the same i wouldn't know but On field he has matured into a player that looks like a 100 gamer.
Shaun Grigg- Fantastic effort.Performances like that will alleviate the pressure on Cotchin and Martin and are therfore vital.
On the whole it was just a wonderful,combatitive and I think defining performance.
I am disregarding the result and the form of the opposition.It's the way we went about it.The discipline and the want to work hard.The big question in the past has been can we keep reproducing it?I am certain we will and Hardwick has been very clever having some seasoned bodies fresh to come in as the year unfolds to maintain some kind of consistancy.Can't wait.

As a neutral I gotta say you were good enough but perhaps just not good enough to finish last night. With the rushed behind rubbish and that Grigg miss..as well as Newman's late kickout being rebounded and Milne marking unmanned, it was probably the inexperience with closing games that was the difference between taking all 4 points.

You were probably unlucky not to win but I'll admit when the Saints got ahead by a goal after the rushed behind I thought it was all but over and the Saints would probably kick another to seal the win. But your mob showed a lot of character to get back in it and in a winning position which shows alot about the spirit of your team and where its maturity lies (well beyond the average game stat they showed last night), which was as impressive as the performance itself imo.

Very exciting times at Richmond but imo Foley probably needs a couple of games in your 2s. Deledio should stay up the ground and Kingy should be a permanent fixture in your team (if he isn't already).

Great team to watch too :)

I said before and I'll say it again theres something about Richmond. When the dark days of Collingwood domination have passed over us I think you guys are next in line.

We are our own worst enemy... still make some absolutely dumb decisions.

What l liked...

1) Vickery (!)... is starting to enjoy the contest and is quicker on his feet than l gave him credit for.

2) King and White... whilst l doubt whether they will be part of the success, geez, if they continue to play as hard and passionate as that, then we might have just turned a corner.

3) Perseverance... even against adversity, the last two weeks we've fought and fought and fought.

4) Grigg... worry about his disposal, but **** he's hard and works harder than l have seen in Richmond guernsey.

What l loathe...

1) Our skills and turnovers. Still our biggest threat to success. How many times did we break clear, with runners left and right, and we cant dispose a simple handball. Drop ridiculously easy marks. Kicking over the head of a target 15 metres away.

2) ANGUS GRAHAM - piss weak, lazy, inept and an embarrassment

3) Robin Nahas... has no football brain, a liability.

4) Foley... great to see him back, but he is so far off the pace. And... for all his good stuff, he still has an AWFUL habit of holding onto the pill too long and all the options have been exhausted and there's no where left to go but **** it up.

5) Mitch Morton - when will he realise he is part of team. I dont like him, never have, never will.

Hmm not a bad post. Unlike last week where i thought we were killed for 3 quarters and should have lost by plenty.
This week i would say we were the better side just, for 3 quarters. If not the better side at least on par.

People wont like me saying it but that thing called polish and once again lack of ball winning ability is what stopped us actually winning this game.this and a small lack of structure.

We wont ever be a genuine contender with the likes of white nahas mcguane graham edwards running around.
Want to be a genuine contender we have to do better than these players.

This is not a criticism of these players for their game last night. They had a red hot dip and did okay in many areas, did a job but sometimes you just have to do better than a red hot dip.

An example was white. White did a good job on montagna but his skills and lack of ball winning ability hurt us. we really should be able to find a player who can do what white does but find and use a lot better. Its not just white in isolation but a group thing if you like too many like him with similar problems and it becomes a major issue.

anyway it was a decent effort credit where its due we probably should have won the thing.

Gotta laugh.

He will get better and better.

FFS he had the runs and an interrupted preseason.

Cut the bloke some slack.

He will get better and better.

FFS he had the runs and an interrupted preseason.

Cut the bloke some slack.

I think to be fair smasha, HK Tiger was offering it as a reason for Foley being short of his best atm in response to someone else putting shit on his form.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

In the end we were good enough but not good enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back