Incorrect disposal?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have seen on a couple of occasions this weekend, once in the Crows/Tigers game and once in the Swans/Eagles game, a player take the ball from the hands of a teamate who is being tackled. Now AFAIK that is neither a handball nor a kick and thus incorrect disposal.

Have noticed it in other games this year also. Anyone else noticed this? Shouldn't it be a free kick?

I have seen on a couple of occasions this weekend, once in the Crows/Tigers game and once in the Swans/Eagles game, a player take the ball from the hands of a teamate who is being tackled. Now AFAIK that is neither a handball nor a kick and thus incorrect disposal.

Have noticed it in other games this year also. Anyone else noticed this? Shouldn't it be a free kick?

Yep, a free kick on the spot. You can't just steal the ball from your teammate with out it being handballed to you.

Was that the Goodes one running into 50? It had me confused because I thought he just handed it to him but it wasn't mentioned. Ah well.

Nothing beats the umpires still calling people to play on, when they are standing outside the field of play.

Its an iffy one because if the opposition takes the ball its definitely not a free. Also if your team were to bump into you and knock the ball out of your hand that would be deemed knocked out, play on. So I think the only thing an umpire has to go by is intention of the player with the ball. Or maybe I'm way off:p

It depends if its on the ground or not. If you are standing it is incorrect disposal, if the ball is on the ground and you take it from a fellow player the umpires generally say the ball is being contended.

I see it all the time. Players just hand their teammates the ball as well.

One free kick we never see paid is kicking in danger. Is it even in the rule books anymore?
We had a kicking in danger paid against us in the Adelaide game a couple of weeks ago.

Yep, a free kick on the spot. You can't just steal the ball from your teammate with out it being handballed to you.

You are in fact incorrect. A player can steal the ball from a players hands. You see that quite often when a player is wrapped up with no prior opp and then his teammate wrenches it from his hands...play on is the correct call.
A player just cant 'hand' the ball to a teammate. This is quite different to a player stealing it in the heat of the moment from his mates hands.

Incorrect disposal is let go time and time again particularly obvious when one hand is pinned and impossible to get rid of legitimately yet deemed to be wrenched out in the tackle and play on. The other is a player handballing in front of him (like Kevin Bartlett used to throw it in front of him ) then getting tackled without the ball. They never get a free

You are in fact incorrect. A player can steal the ball from a players hands. You see that quite often when a player is wrapped up with no prior opp and then his teammate wrenches it from his hands...play on is the correct call.
A player just cant 'hand' the ball to a teammate. This is quite different to a player stealing it in the heat of the moment from his mates hands.

If you went solely with this rule that would be correct.

15.3.2 I ncorrect Disposal and Payment of Free Kick
When the football is in play, a Free Kick shall be awarded against
a Player who hands the football to another Player or throws​
the football.

The following 2 rules combine together though to say that if you take the ball out of your team-mates hands they are holding the ball as 15.2.3 says that upon being tackled they must correctly dispose of the ball and the definition of correct disposal in 15.3.1 includes only kicking and handballing. By taking the ball from their hands it is as if they have just dropped the ball.

To the letter of the law it is a free kick to the tackler but almost never paid.

15.2.3 Holding the Football — Prior Opportunity/No Prior Opportunity​
Where the field Umpire is satisfied that a Player in possession of
the football:
(a) has had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the
field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if
the Player does not Kick or Handball the football immediately
when he or she is Correctly Tackled; or
(b) has not had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the
field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if,
upon being Correctly Tackled, the Player does not Correctly
Dispose or attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football after​
being given a reasonable opportunity to do so.

15.3.1 Correct Disposal​
A Player Correctly Disposes of the football if he or she Kicks or​
Handballs the football.

I see it all the time. Players just hand their teammates the ball as well.

One free kick we never see paid is kicking in danger. Is it even in the rule books anymore?
It's a bit ambiguous...
Laws of Australian Football said:
15.4.5 Prohibited Contact and Payment of Free Kick...
(i) kicks or attempts to kick an opposition Player, unless contact
is accidentally made whilst the Player is Kicking the football;.....

(m) kicking or attempting to Kick the ball in a manner likely to
cause injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rules like dropping the ball and kicking in danger are just ignored nowadays. instead we penalise players who put their heads over the ball. yet a player who has had opportunity to release the ball and drops it incorrectly is allowed to play on. the ability for rules to be so flexible from week to week is definately a flaw in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Incorrect disposal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back