Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Its what a neuro sport scientist/physio said from touching it.

Ive had bad OP for a few years mate and had surgery on it in 2011.

I have tried dry needling before I might get it done again.

What scan would I get to see if I had scar tissue its closest to the centre of my body (in regards to groins). High up on the groin.
I doubt it would be scar tissue, probably more so a bit of adductor tendinopathy. An MRI will tell you a lot about inflammation within the pubic symphysis and any issues with the soft tissue around the groin. When do you notice the pain? Have you lost much speed because of it? Change of direciton tough?

I doubt it would be scar tissue, probably more so a bit of adductor tendinopathy. An MRI will tell you a lot about inflammation within the pubic symphysis and any issues with the soft tissue around the groin. When do you notice the pain? Have you lost much speed because of it? Change of direciton tough?

Yep all of them.

Ive actually adapted or evolved to the way I change direction now so I don't put so much stress through that area so I wont re damage it. I also have lost a lot of speen especially off the mark and also top speed im sure some of this is due to mindset and confidence aswell though.

I notice the pain early in activity, sharp sudden movements like when im tickled it goes, when I do squats with any weight, when I kick in the warmup or take off in the warmup for games.

Thoughts

i don;'t like the sounds of changing mechanics for change of direction as it just means another muscle will overload and go pop as well

i think you should strongly look into a full and proper rehab plan for this
I agree but it happens all the time in sport and with players.

My season is done now anyway, im happy with what i got out of it and am going to do some serious lower body work in the off season after some rest to build some mass, strength and activation through those hamstring, glute areas.

don't forget specific hip flexor/psoas work and core development with various anti-methods
Oh yeh usually every session i do some sort of core/ab work. Not gonna bother with too much ab work but mainly core and activation of glutes ect which ive been doing.

Deads - hip flexors?

Planks/Bridges

Also do those rollouts on one of those little wheel things or on a fit ball, kneeling on ground.

We have some cool resistance bands now and i use them with some leg extensions/flexions ect will incorporate abduction/adduction into this.

I also do the med ball side to side, actually incorporating into hitting 4 corners around my body, unsure about this as i hear about twisting being so bad for you? this might not be included.

And also youd be proud before i went to thailand i was killiing the pallof press (unsure if it was you that recommended that) but one of my more enjoyable exercises now.

Oh yeh usually every session i do some sort of core/ab work. Not gonna bother with too much ab work but mainly core and activation of glutes ect which ive been doing.

Deads - hip flexors?

Planks/Bridges

Also do those rollouts on one of those little wheel things or on a fit ball, kneeling on ground.

We have some cool resistance bands now and i use them with some leg extensions/flexions ect will incorporate abduction/adduction into this.

I also do the med ball side to side, actually incorporating into hitting 4 corners around my body, unsure about this as i hear about twisting being so bad for you? this might not be included.

And also youd be proud before i went to thailand i was killiing the pallof press (unsure if it was you that recommended that) but one of my more enjoyable exercises now.

hip flexors will need actual hip flexion exercises like lying on your back and raising your knee past 90 degrees and holding progressing to standing progressing to resistance

i wouldn't do roll outs for a while if i was you as you'r putting similar stress on the injured area that re-injures it

the med ball exercise doesn't really do anything actually, the line of resistance is terrible and yes. i favor anti rotation like the pallof presses

Didn't want to start a new thread for a small topic so I'll ask here, anyone can help me out and chip in.

Went to footy training today feeling fine, about 20 minutes of training left I started to feel tight on hammys and quads, went for about a 40metre kick in a drill and horribly shanked it and then hammys and quads started to send me a message and pretty much couldn't kick anymore, had to set aside from the drills to stretch.

Got home, walked a fair bit and hammys felt a bit tight, not really alot of pain but sometimes I would feel it. Showered and now I can feel a bit of pain/tightness in the hammys whenever I get up or extend my leg, though still walking fine.

Not sure if this is just a minor strain or something like a grade 2, I really want to play this Sunday (game), should I tell the coach I'm not available? Or try to go for a light job tomorrow after sleep and assess again.

Thanks.

get out and do some 10 - 20m sprints tomorrow then see how it feels...doesn't sound like a tear if it didn't require ice or other management

by the way if you feel a possible ham strain/tear then don't stretch it - how do you think you got it in the first place?

Did play goalkeeper in a futsal match about 30 minutes before training did make some saves with outstretched legs, maybe that was it :S, back on the hammy just got tighter and more noticeable kick by kick during training.

Anyways cheers for the help, will try and test it tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

been having issues with shoulder impingement on one side (pins & needles/numbness in hand). physio said it was probably caused by a weak serratus anterior muscle on that side so he told me to roll my upper back on a tennis ball and then gave me some exercises to try and strengthen it.

one was a standing serratus push up that i remember but the other was like this lower trap activation exercise where i'm supposed to lie on my back with my arm up outstretched using very light DB and then doing something with my shoulder blade that i can't really remember.

does anyone know what this exercise might actually be and any tips on how to do it properly? or any other good lower trap activation exercises to help strengthen this muscle?

Does anyone else get extremely sore elbows/inner elbows in the days after playing footy?

Some weeks, especially after the more physical games, I find the pain in the gym unbearable for pushing exercises where it feels as if my elbows are just going to give way on me.

been having issues with shoulder impingement on one side (pins & needles/numbness in hand). physio said it was probably caused by a weak serratus anterior muscle on that side so he told me to roll my upper back on a tennis ball and then gave me some exercises to try and strengthen it.

one was a standing serratus push up that i remember but the other was like this lower trap activation exercise where i'm supposed to lie on my back with my arm up outstretched using very light DB and then doing something with my shoulder blade that i can't really remember.

does anyone know what this exercise might actually be and any tips on how to do it properly? or any other good lower trap activation exercises to help strengthen this muscle?

He said "probably" - did he actually assess you?

Either way it's good to see something other then band external rotations being handed out for shoulder rehab purposes but for impingement issues then lower trap stuff is about 4 or 5 on my progression list do this:

1 - lat roll + stretch
2 - pec roll + stretch
3 - thoracic spine extensions over a foam roller
4 - serratus activation
5 - lower trap activation
4 - dynamic integration (prone position exercises, rows etc)

Does anyone else get extremely sore elbows/inner elbows in the days after playing footy?

Some weeks, especially after the more physical games, I find the pain in the gym unbearable for pushing exercises where it feels as if my elbows are just going to give way on me.

without being from a collision or 2? never happened to me...might need a bit more tri/bi work to support them

without being from a collision or 2? never happened to me...might need a bit more tri/bi work to support them

Collisions a plenty, though not really direct impact on the elbow, usually more the forearm and upper arm/shoulder.

Interesting you say more tri/bi work as I have significantly reduced how much effort I put into them during the past couple of years, however they don't seem to be falling behind comparatively at all.

Did they do any release work other than exercises? Where abouts in the hand are the pins and needles? If it's mainly little finger and ring finger than usually this is the C8 nerve from the neck. Often people with downward sloped shoulders get some lengthening/traction through this nerve and this causes numbness.
If this is the case then serratus is not a bad place to start as working on it will improve your upward rotation. Serratus punch and a dynamic hug are good exercises, push up plus not bad as well. If this is the case, then you'd wanna be working upper traps as well.

thanks for the info guys!
serratus punch was the exercise i couldn't remember how to do.

He said "probably" - did he actually assess you?

yeah he did. i didn't word that very well.

Did they do any release work other than exercises?
just like a massage on that shoulder and neck to free it up.

Where abouts in the hand are the pins and needles?
pins and needles are only in the shoulder area; numbness in the hand.

If it's mainly little finger and ring finger than usually this is the C8 nerve from the neck.
yes it's only really in those two fingers; definitely not in my index or thumb.
my physio gave some neck stretches as well to help.

Knee Update: Apparently the doctor also said that I'm lacking in fluids around my knee - I'm not sure how to articulate this better as he said this in another language.
So at barely 20, I'm starting to get osteoarthritis in both knees which I think was the implication. Pretty mentally draining. I'm healthy, I commit to looking after my body and I can never get any luck with it.
I've gotten great advice in this thread already, mainly about strengthening my muscles, just wondering if they are still as applicable or if there is any extra in light of this?

Knee Update: Apparently the doctor also said that I'm lacking in fluids around my knee - I'm not sure how to articulate this better as he said this in another language.
So at barely 20, I'm starting to get osteoarthritis in both knees which I think was the implication. Pretty mentally draining. I'm healthy, I commit to looking after my body and I can never get any luck with it.
I've gotten great advice in this thread already, mainly about strengthening my muscles, just wondering if they are still as applicable or if there is any extra in light of this?
I don't even know what he means by that. Are you sure he didn't say you have decreased joint cartilage? I highly doubt you are developing OA. How is your pain? Have you had a plain Xray?

I don't even know what he means by that. Are you sure he didn't say you have decreased joint cartilage? I highly doubt you are developing OA. How is your pain? Have you had a plain Xray?

I can't really translate it because my Chinese is quite poor, but fluids was for sure involved because I know that word, and over-activity. Then my Grandad said 'she's too young though?' So from that and googling when I got back I inferred the rest. Had plain X-ray before, few years ago. I still have the scans they did, so I will take that to my physio.
Pain fluctuates with weather and if I don't warm up. Feels stiff. Pretty painful when it happens.

it seems to really br bothering you so you've got take the cautious approach and do what doesn't hurt and eliminate what does regardless of how "good" the exercise is

that 15min jogging warm up might have to be one of them...

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back