International International Rugby League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Russia is the one I can see really growing. There's not much else than Soccer and they have a local comp where they are producing their own players. They have even got to the stage where they send a team to the english challenge cup.

If everything's done right, we might might have a decent league area on the horizon in the future.

Good to see influential politicians in the joint backing the game. (might get one back after the injustices in France)

crooked

Tatuki

Thanks so very much for posting all that news about international r/l....just love reading all the stuff as I don;t get that much time on the net and it saves racing to different sites.

Don't worry about Grayham and others....they are just jealous, that rugby league is a good product and is making inroads into other countries.

Originally posted by Crooked Rain
Russia is the one I can see really growing. There's not much else than Soccer and they have a local comp where they are producing their own players. They have even got to the stage where they send a team to the english challenge cup.

Not much else other than soccer?

Russia's biggest sport is soccer, then followed by ice hockey (check out the amount of Russians in the NHL), then basketball (the only country to ever beat USA at the olympics), then handball (huge in Europe though you never hear about it hear, draws massive crowds), then union (yes, union in is actually pretty big, a lot bigger than league)...

They're a big sporting nation. I'm not saying there isn't a definite niche for rugby league in Russia, but it's more a case of league carving out a niche for itself as an alternative sport than becoming a national obsession.

scotland 44 serbia 22 hat trick for the scots
I still think france is the best option for league they have produced some great attacking players in the past and have lost many players to union .With superleague getting better every year we have to support the french no matter what ,psg should not have went under.also new caledonians are being billeted with oz clubs and should be eligible to play for france.
We need france and russia touring regional and southern oz [similar to russia's nz tour]asap

Richoagain
The Devil's Advocate wrote
yes, union in is actually pretty big, a lot bigger than league)...

Sorry league currently holds the upper hand in russia and has strong monetary backing .12 years ago after viewing league the russian union made the decision to switch to league and union [same for serbia and new caledonia]was reduced to the siberian wastelands .Besides having to play their matches in siberia the russian union filled their coaching positions and team with south africans and where expelled from the ruwc

Originally posted by dr strange
scotland 44 serbia 22 hat trick for the scots
I still think france is the best option for league they have produced some great attacking players in the past and have lost many players to union .With superleague getting better every year we have to support the french no matter what ,psg should not have went under.also new caledonians are being billeted with oz clubs and should be eligible to play for france.
We need france and russia touring regional and southern oz [similar to russia's nz tour]asap

perhaps a French team in the english super league could work like the NZ warrios in the NRL

Sorry league currently holds the upper hand in russia and has strong monetary backing .12 years ago after viewing league the russian union made the decision to switch to league and union [same for serbia and new caledonia]was reduced to the siberian wastelands .Besides having to play their matches in siberia the russian union filled their coaching positions and team with south africans and where expelled from the ruwc

Not true - union remains much bigger than league in Russia (ya uveren, shto v rossii regbi 15 bolshee chem regbi 13). The reason for starting league in Russia wasn't a case of 'We like this game so much better, let's all change' - they saw that league allowed professionalism, as opposed to union. Since union ditched the ammos business this has meant it's mainly up to the convertites who feel most passionate about the game.

This is a quote from rleague.com in their section on Russia: -

The future of Russian Rugby League does have potential but whether the RRL will recieve the much needed funding to realise that potential will be another story. However we are all hopeful that international competition will continue on as this is what will keep the young players interested.

Ireland are the first team to announce their initial squad for the European Nations Cup to be played in October and November, with Wigan hardman Terry O'Connor named as captain.

The squad includes former Queensland State of Origin players Chris McKenna and Craig Greenhill as well as a host of current English Super League players. A total of 9 players who represented the Irish at the 2000 World Cup will don the emerald green, whilst young players Carl De Chenu (Sheffield) and Lee Doran (Oldham) are also rewarded for their efforts. Both these players are Irish born and bred and this is a tremendous development for the sport in Ireland. Another 3 players from the Irish domestic competiton will also be included later on in the year.

The notable ommision from coach Darryl Powell's side is Wigan winger Brian Carney. The Cork born Carney, was not included because he has been named in David Waite's Great Britain side for this years Ashes series with Australia.

The full Ireland squad is as follows:

Lee Finnerty (Halifax), Steve Prescott (Hull), Francis Cummins (Leeds), Anthony Stewart (St Helens), Carl De Chenu (Sheffield), Colum Halpenny (Wakefield), Rob Smyth (Warrington), Chris McKenna (Leeds), Marvin Golden (Widnes), Michael Eagar (Castleford), Tommy Martyn (Leigh), Gavin Clinch (Salford), Chris Bridge (Bradford), Mick Slicker (Huddersfield), Terry O'Connor (captain, Wigan), Paul Southern (Rochdale), Tommy Gallagher (Leeds/London), Craig Greenhill (Hull), Shayne McMenemy (Hull), Tim Jonkers (St Helens), Mick Cassidy (Wigan), Dave Bradbury (Leigh), Chris Joynt (St Helens), Richard Marshall (London), Lee Doran (Oldham), Johnny Lawless (Halifax), Paul Handforth (Wakefield), Paul Devlin (Widnes).

For more info on Irish Rugby League, visit www.rli.ie

Calling all ex-pat Kiwis
Wed Jul 16, 6:45pm (NZ)
Written by: Ian Stewart
Your country needs you.

The day: Friday night, the 25th of July kick-off 7.30pm, The Venue: Aussie Stadium. The Event: The one-off Test match against Australia.

This time it really is us against them, and the Aussies have ensured the odds will be heavily stacked in their favour.

The Australian team should no doubt be dominated by the SOO series winning NSW team. They’ll have the advantage of three games together, they’ll be confident and cohesive after three State of Origin games, and knowing how the Australians work, they’ll try and appoint one of their own referees to the game as well.

A loud vocal Kiwi presence could be just the lift our boys need to help snatch victory.

The Kiwi team will only have four days together, so coach Daniel Anderson and his support crew will have to work very hard to get the side ready to face the Australians. With the Warriors currently in a form slump, the Kiwi team probably won’t look anything like it may have done a few weeks ago.

Penrith Panthers players Joe Galuvao and Tony Puletua are in such great form, it would be hard to leave this pair out of the starting side even though they would have been rank outsiders earlier in the year.

The Kiwis look to be troubled in at least two positions. Fullback and Stand-off will be the big worry for Anderson. Two of his first choice picks, Motu Tony and Lance Hohaia are out of favour at the Warriors and out of form too. One suggestion has the highly talented Sione Faumuina playing in the number 6 jersey. The one area the Kiwis have no concerns, is in the forwards.

The Kiwi team could look something like this,

(1) David Vaealiki
(2) Matt Utai
(3) Nigel Vagana
(4) Clinton Toopi
(5) Francis Meli
(6) Sione Faumuina
(7) Stacey Jones (C)
(8) Paul Rauhihi
(9) Richard Swain
(10) Jerry Seuseu
(11) Joe Galuvao
(12) Tony Puletua
(13) Logan Swann
(14) Ali Lauiti’iti
(15) Monty Betham
(16) Stephen Kearney
(17) Ruben Wiki

Other players in contention could be, Jason and Nathan Cayless, Richard Villasanti, Joel Clinton, Henry Fa’afili, Awen Guttenbiel, Paul Whatuira and Wairangi Koopu.

Ive just checked the russian ru site they have 6 teams 2 in krasnoyarsk siberia and 2 in moscow 1 in penza and 1 other,league has 8 teams moscow 3,kazan2,rostov 1 ,st petersberg1.yoshkar-ola 1.and as usual their next international will be held in siberia .league drew a crowd of 25,000 last year for russia vs usa in moscow and 16,000 for a student international in kazan,I THINK I WOULD PREFER TO BE IN LEAGUES POSITION IN RUSSIA NOT UNIONS.they couldnt even beat georgia with a bunch of south africans coaching and playing for them.

Next you'll be saying the League is more popular in Wales because they got 72,000 to the Challenge Cup Final.

despite the fact that the fans of Bradford and Leeds had and got all the tickets and there was no general release of tickets in Wales.

Ive just checked the russian ru site they have 6 teams 2 in krasnoyarsk siberia and 2 in moscow 1 in penza and 1 other,league has 8 teams moscow 3,kazan2,rostov 1 ,st petersberg1.yoshkar-ola 1.and as usual their next international will be held in siberia .league drew a crowd of 25,000 last year for russia vs usa in moscow and 16,000 for a student international in kazan,I THINK I WOULD PREFER TO BE IN LEAGUES POSITION IN RUSSIA NOT UNIONS.they couldnt even beat georgia with a bunch of south africans coaching and playing for them.

1. That's pro clubs you're counting, not people playing all up. And having eight rather than six aint a huge advantage in that regard.

2. Georgia is rugby union mad - Just because you hadn't heard of the country before doesn't make them easy beats by a long way.

Besides, Georgians have always had it over the Russians. Just look at Joe Stalin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Richoagain
Not true - union remains much bigger than league in Russia (ya uveren, shto v rossii regbi 15 bolshee chem regbi 13). The reason for starting league in Russia wasn't a case of 'We like this game so much better, let's all change' - they saw that league allowed professionalism, as opposed to union. Since union ditched the ammos business this has meant it's mainly up to the convertites who feel most passionate about the game.

This is a quote from rleague.com in their section on Russia: -

The future of Russian Rugby League does have potential but whether the RRL will recieve the much needed funding to realise that potential will be another story. However we are all hopeful that international competition will continue on as this is what will keep the young players interested.

The big end of town is getting behind League. Juniors outnumber Yawnion, and Yawnion have to advertise their matches as League to get people thorugh the gate. When people realise they've been duped, they leave. The new CEO is in fact one of the richest men in Russia.

The russian ru was that poor that they couldnt pay the fine for playing illegals,they stated that if the fine was imposed by the irb they would be bankrupt,what a sham by the irb an announcement about fining the rru and nothing happens ,pay the fine rru and go bankrupt.

Guys, where the hell are you getting this crap from? You hear this down the pub?

As a Russian speaker I can tell you that advertising the game as 'league' in Russian actually makes very little difference - as in Russian they're just called rugby and 13-a-side rugby, which sounds the same as in English saying 'I play Rugby sevens'.

1. 9 out of 10 Russians have never seen rugby of any description as they're busy following soccer, ice hockey, basketball, handball or chess. Nor would they know the difference.

2. The Soyuz Regbistov Rossii doesn't have money, but neither does anything else in Russia right now. Even the noviye russkiye, while rich by Russian standards, don't really do all that well for themselves by international standards. The RRL doesn't actually have any money either.

In the inaugural origin game between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland in Rugby League which was played at Malone RFC in Belfast on Saturday, the North have emerged as surprise 38 – 24 victors.

Rugby League in Northern Ireland is run by Rugby League Ulster (RLU) who have only just setup a formal competition this year, whilst the south was run and administrated by the Rugby League Ireland (RLI) group. RLI was formed in 2001.

The work by both organisations has been fantastic, and the fact that a competitive match was capable in the inaugural match of the concept will go a long way to ensuring the growth of the fixture.

In future years both RLI and RLU hope to play three matches for the Origin series, similar to that in Australia.

the rrl may not have any money and receives none from the rlif but the arrows where able to train in dubai prior to the challenge cup,the magicians where able to tour france and play provincial teams,the russian under 16s played matches in the uk at the recent york 9s,and russia will shortly be playing in the us&nz

Mediterranean Cup news

Lebanon ‘invincible’ ahead of Mediterranean Cup defence
Thu Sep 18, 3:03pm (NSW)
Written by: Lebanon Rugby League
With just over a month to go until the start of the rugby league Mediterranean Cup pride and patriotism are the watchwords underpinning Lebanon’s preparations. The Bartercard Cedars won the Mediterranean Cup last year in Tripoli after a convincing victory over World Cup quarter-finalists France, but the defence of their crown will be tested by the introduction of Serbia and powerful Morocco into the arena, as well as by the return of a French side intent on revenge.

Robbie Farah, 19, from Bhairi, exemplified the spirit running through the Lebanon squad when he declared earlier this week “I feel proud and invincible” about playing for Lebanon. Farah scored the opening try in last year’s stunning 36-6 victory.

The skilful Balmain Tigers halfback is one of a 20-man train-on squad that has been preparing for over a month in Sydney. That squad will be reduced to fifteen who will travel to Lebanon for the four-nation tournament. They will be joined by five players, selected by national coach Darren Maroun, from Lebanon’s year old domestic championship.

Michael Coorey, 26, a towering forward from Kfrzgorb who plays for the Brisbane Broncos, one of the biggest clubs in Australian sport, endorsed Farah’s views: “I always think about the last Med Cup [in November 2002], its a good feeling knowing that our homeland welcomes us with open arms...this is what makes us strong, when we hear the crowd go wild like last year.”

Team-mate Ahmed Bajouri, 22, from Tripoli, is perhaps the most enthusiastic of Lebanon’s crack Australian based players. The winger from South Sydney, one of Australian rugby league’s most famous clubs, has had a frustrating time with injuries in what many accept to be the world’s toughest sport.

“I’ve been ready for three years personally because I’ve been plagued with injuries that stopped me playing for Lebanon in the World Cup in 2000 and in Lebanon last year. I’ve been in anticipation for some time now. When we get there I’ll be peaking in all attributes.”

Hassan Taha, a 19-year-old from Tripoli who plays for Balamand university, is one of seven hopeful domestic players pinning their hopes on selection.

“I’ll do more than I can,” he said when asked how he felt about lining up alongside Lebanon’s professional stars. “I’ll forget about fear; attack and defend, I’ll think of nothing else.”

The Mediterranean Cup begins on 19 October in Tripoli’s Olympic Stadium. Entrance is free throughout the entire tournament to mark rugby league’s continuing development in Lebanon.

Greece v Italy

Can I ask the RL diehards what they think of this fixture?

It seems a bit pointless when there's no actual Greek or Italian players in there, and I'm not talking about players of that origin who are born and bred in Sydney.

Is this a view to getting the game going in Greece/Italy? Wouldn't there be a minor presence in Italy because Union is played there?

Both sides are made up of Australians of Greek and Italian descent.

The idea is to use the game as a fundraiser to start a comp in Greece and help the one in Italy. There is no league played in Greece as yet, the league in Italy apparently has been going with about three or four clubs since the late nineties, but from what I've heard so far there aren't any players from that comp making an appearance.

The same thing was the idea behind the 'Lebanon' side at the RLWC - they put together a side of Sydney-Lebanese and use it to start a comp in Lebanon.

Originally posted by Richoagain
Both sides are made up of Australians of Greek and Italian descent.

The idea is to use the game as a fundraiser to start a comp in Greece and help the one in Italy. There is no league played in Greece as yet, the league in Italy apparently has been going with about three or four clubs since the late nineties, but from what I've heard so far there aren't any players from that comp making an appearance.

The same thing was the idea behind the 'Lebanon' side at the RLWC - they put together a side of Sydney-Lebanese and use it to start a comp in Lebanon.

Yeah. The Lebanon idea has worked perfectly - RL is a huge sport there now.

Remove this Banner Ad

International International Rugby League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back