International International Rugby League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Welsh team to play Russia

Originally posted by Tutaki

The Welsh have named a team icluding players from the Scottish, Irish, French and English domestic competition and in my opinion will fall to a strong Russia squad.

Oh well, even the best tippers have an off day ;)

Re: Re: Welsh team to play Russia

Originally posted by Richoagain
Oh well, even the best tippers have an off day ;)
Im probably the worst tipster ever.
I picked Russia over Wales
RESULT- Wales defeat Russia

I picked Australia narrowly over Wales
RESULT- Australia thrash Wales

I picked the Lions to beat us 2-1 in the series so look for a 3-0 series victory by Australia.

Samoans make switch

SAINTS SWOOP FOR SAMOA STARS
From www.sportinglife.com

St Helens have pulled off a major coup by signing two of Samoa's rugby union World Cup stars.

Maurie Fa'asavalu and Dominic Feunati have been unveiled at Knowsley Road after agreeing deals and flying into Britain last weekend.

Fa'asavalu, a 23-year-old forward, made a huge impression with some powerhouse displays at flanker Down Under, none more so than in the heroic 35-22 defeat by champions England.

Wing or centre Feunati scored tries in the demolitions of Uruguay and Georgia and played a part in all four World Cup matches.

The pair had offers from several Zurich Premiership clubs in Britain and Super 12 teams in the Southern Hemisphere but opted to switch codes with St Helens.

A clearly delighted coach Ian Millward: "This is a very exciting development for St Helens.

"These players attracted a huge amount of attention during the World Cup and it's fantastic that they have decided to sign for us.

"I watched them once before the tournament and then while I was in Australia and I believe these players are going to make a huge impact in rugby league.

"We have cut eight players since last season - or some of them have retired - because we were an ageing team.

"But this season, we will have a very young team and I think only one player is over 26."

I know its rugby league but in the final of a competition set up by the russian rugby league, they got a crowd of 17000, thats very impressive.

Originally posted by holc
I know its rugby league but in the final of a competition set up by the russian rugby league, they got a crowd of 17000, thats very impressive.

17 thousand locals to HOLC... not expats:D

Welsh Rugby League Coach Quits

Welsh league coach quits
From correspondents in London
June 16, 2004

NEIL KELLY announced today that he is resigning as Wales coach for personal reasons.

He told the Rugby Football League that he cannot devote the time to carry on coaching the Welsh national side.

Kelly said: "I have three daughters and we've not had the chance of a family holiday for some time.

"It's a decision I didn't want to make but I've made it for my family," he added. "I can't juggle everything."

Kelly also holds the fulltime position of director of rugby at Widnes. But he said that he hopes to remain involved in shaping the future of Welsh rugby league.

Kelly succeeded Clive Griffiths in charge of the national side after the 2000 World Cup.

Agence France-Presse
It'd be great to see Welsh Rugby League back to the old days of fielding highly competitive teams beating the old enemy.

Partnership between RL and AR in Tonga

I kid you guys not - there has recently been an agreement signed between the Tongan RL and the Tongan Australian Football Association for the codes to help each other out.

Basically, the way it works -

League season runs January to June
Aussie Rules season tuns July to December

Clubs play year through, change sports half way.

Resources shared, administrative costs are shared, facilities made dual-purpose.

Both codes maintain paid development officers.

TAFA assists TRL create a web presence.

In a nation where both codes have to work pretty hard to attract players from union (in Tonga playing numbers are currently approximately equal for league and AR, Aussie Rules having the bonus of a schools setup) it's an interesting concept..........

Read more at www.tafa.to

Very interesting that people will spend pages and pages arguing and comparing TV ratings and crowd numbers between the various codes in OZ, yet when a good news story about league and rules uniting so people can play sport............... you dont hear a thing.

I reckon its great for both codes in Tonga.

Phill?

You answered your own question without knowing it. When we DONT answer, its a good thing.

Actually, the NRL and AFL do work togther more than people thing. The Lions and Broncos often train together(or did). Storm have trained plenty of times with various AFL teams. I believe Slater is good friends with a few Richmond players.

Gallop and Demitrio often meet during the year to discuss various things. (sex things lately).

It's only when we get bored when we bag the other codes. Hey, I see nothing wrong with it. A great idea to work together.

I'd like to comment but I don't live in Aussie and know next to nothing about Aussie Rules.

Good for Tonga but without actually seeing and hearing about the results then there's not much to say.

Originally posted by koreanwarrior
I'd like to comment but I don't live in Aussie and know next to nothing about Aussie Rules.

Good for Tonga but without actually seeing and hearing about the results then there's not much to say.

Then why are you here?

Surely bigfooty.com is a board for AFL football fans, is it? Or at least members with decent AFL knowledge? :confused:

Well it's not quite as new as one might think: http://www.rl1908.com/Origin/States.htm

In the late 1970s McAuliffe succeeded in helping Brisbane clubs attract high quality coaches such as Frank Stanton (Redcliffe), Bob McCarthy (Brisbane Souths) and Graham Lowe (Brisbane Norths) which had an effect on the standard of the Brisbane club competition and its developing players.

At a chance meeting McAuliffe had with VFL president, Allen Aylett, he lamented that despite his efforts NSW continued to dominate the inter-state games and the Test teams. Aylett confided to McAuliffe that they were contemplating a game between Victoria and a West Australian team. The game would be on an "origin" basis to overcome similar concerns coming from the West against Victoria's dominance of inter-state Australian Rules.

McAuliffe's exasperation in 1980 after losing yet another series to a NSW team fielding Queenslanders finally boiled over. He went to ARL Chairman, Kevin Humphreys, with a plan to see the Queenslanders back on an even footing.

The call to allow Queensland to be able to select players who had long "gone south" to play in the Sydney competition had been raised regularly since the 1960s, usually just after the Maroons had yet again been rolled by the NSW team. Finally in 1980, the Queensland Rugby League's Ron McAuliffe managed to convince ARL President Kevin Humphreys to allow the third game in the current state series (NSW were ahead by 2 wins to nil) to be played under a "state of origin" basis. The Queenslanders were undoubtedly pleased, but no one forsaw just how much of a phenomena State of Origin would be.

And hence Origin football, the next evolution in the long and proud tradition of interstate rep footy in both codes, was born...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Scrumhalf
Then why are you here?

Surely bigfooty.com is a board for AFL football fans, is it? Or at least members with decent AFL knowledge? :confused:

No, because this is the Rugby League forum.

But thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it and I'll rush out and start watching all the AFL games that they show on Korean and NZ tv. Oh that's right there are none.

No, because this is the Rugby League forum.

But thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it and I'll rush out and start watching all the AFL games that they show on Korean and NZ tv. Oh that's right there are none.

Ah, a dog-eater 'ey? Interesting. :cool:

My girlfriend's Korean; whereabouts in South Korea you at? I been to Cheju & Southern South Korea (Pusan, Ulsan, Kwangju, Taegu).

Yeah AFL matches shown internationally are usually on Pay TV. Australian Football is not an international sport.

well I'm a kiwi and have stuck to steak and lamb chops. Don't fancy ating something that's been beaten to death to make it taste better...

Live in Anyang just south of Seoul but have been to Busan and Cheju amongst other spots.

Why did you go there? Visit the girlfriends family?

I'm getting married to a Korean in about 7 weeks :eek:

well I'm a kiwi and have stuck to steak and lamb chops. Don't fancy ating something that's been beaten to death to make it taste better...

Live in Anyang just south of Seoul but have been to Busan and Cheju amongst other spots.

Why did you go there? Visit the girlfriends family?

I'm getting married to a Korean in about 7 weeks :eek:

Yeah her family base is on Cheju Island but she's been living with me here in Melbourne for quite some time. Good luck on the upcoming marriage. ;)

Oh, forgot to mention that I've been to the Korean demarcation border zone last year in June. F*ck that place is intense. North Koreans scare me - I've seen their documentaries and stuff. :eek:

Originally posted by Scrumhalf
Yeah her family base is on Cheju Island but she's been living with me here in Melbourne for quite some time. Good luck on the upcoming marriage. ;)

Oh, forgot to mention that I've been to the Korean demarcation border zone last year in June. F*ck that place is intense. North Koreans scare me - I've seen their documentaries and stuff. :eek:

I really liked Cheju. Reminded me of other countries which is great because it's concrete everywhere else.

N Korea can probably wait about 20 years before I head there though.

I'd love to visit North Korea before it finally implodes - if it wasn't so freaking expensive the lure of seeing Stalinism from the inside is kind of cool.

I reckong this could work in australia. AFL and NRL work together in helping juinors find the code that suites them.

"OK kids, today we're practising our marking skills. Go!"........."Right.You there! Your too slow and fat, go over to the RL coach."

"Hi coach. Where can I play?"

"Your a prop forward son".

"What do I do?"

"Just run like hell boy. Staight at em. Whether you have the ball or not."

Could work I suppose.

It's more a question of cost saving on grounds and facilities .
Also reducing friction between the codes by having a sporting club name with different sporting avenues .There is also an opportunity for some kids to double up and play for both codes , whilst most will just go where they are most suited .
RU and RL are the most similar so they are the most competitive towards each other for players , where as AR is less competitve towards the rugbies .

Aussie Schoolboys def France Schoolboys

Australia turned around an 6-0 deficit 20 mins into the game by leading 22-6 at the halftime break. The Aussies had an early scare in the second half before getting home 50-20 in front of 3,000 schoolkids. A good day was had by all.

Re: Aussie Schoolboys def France Schoolboys

England are going great guns lately in every facet of the game from juniors to seniors... Wouldn't suprise me one bit if they win the tri-series.

PNG and France t.v"?"

anyone know if these two games will be on foxtell or austar?

would love to watch both games, it would be a pity for all Rugby League and "sports" fans to miss these games.

also are these games on the radio anywhere(abc or 2gb)?

PS hope the frogs put on a good show again(shocked the hell out of us) ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

International International Rugby League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back