International Rules 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Asty, thats actually a very, very accurate description of each player there.. the few "great" players in the squad are simply not crowd-drawers or their admired qualities simply doesnt translate to skills with the round ball.

Tad harsh on Easton Wood tho, could have at least said "Takes the game on" ..even if he does get beaten by his opponent and have iffy disposals. (No troll here, that probably applies to at least half the team!)

And Monfries is even failing with his other task.. think Ive only seen 1 installment of his diary/blog? Not that it would have generated interest either way.

Another problem that seems observable is the lack of team chemistry, most of the good passages of play came from teammates working together (Vince and Douglas, Kelly and Wojak, Frawley trying to spot up Trengove) which is of course expected from just a week of training together, hope it improves for the 2nd game.

If the Aussies were serious about the IR series, wouldn't they get a Gaelic football coach over (the game is 90% Gaelic) and not Rodney Eade. WTF would Eade know about Gaelic football.

No way mate, ask any Irishman the game is 99% afl, with the exception of the ball, the pitch, the scoring system and the scoring area...

Ah come on Zachery you know that whole crap about ankle clipping was made up by the Aussies to condone what they did during the game. I can honestly say you won't find a video clip from any match where that happened. The only time it may have happened is when an Irish players was trying to kick the ball on the ground. You find me any clips showing rabbit punches and ankle clipping. The thing that is scary is that you aren't willing to accept that the Australian players crossed the line many times. I'm sure O'keffee didn't get a clip in the nose for giving hugs. The majority of Irish are over this concept too, the only reason they still play it is for an opportunity to beat the Australian professionals and wear an Irish jersey. I don't believe it will go much longer. I actually think there have been some great games in the past. The Aussies bring great intensity to the contest, if only they could harness that aggression a little, go in hard and fair the games would always be great. The reason the last game was such a disappointment was because 'they' as outlined by Eade were being too nice and they basically did not prepare like professionals. They have the ability to master the ball as proved before so I don't take the ball as an excuse it's bad preparation and disregard/respect for the game that resulted in the blow out in the previous game. They won't let that happen again.

Ah come on Zachery you know that whole crap about ankle clipping was made up by the Aussies to condone what they did during the game. I can honestly say you won't find a video clip from any match where that happened. The only time it may have happened is when an Irish players was trying to kick the ball on the ground. You find me any clips showing rabbit punches and ankle clipping. The thing that is scary is that you aren't willing to accept that the Australian players crossed the line many times. I'm sure O'keffee didn't get a clip in the nose for giving hugs. The majority of Irish are over this concept too, the only reason they still play it is for an opportunity to beat the Australian professionals and wear an Irish jersey. I don't believe it will go much longer. I actually think there have been some great games in the past. The Aussies bring great intensity to the contest, if only they could harness that aggression a little, go in hard and fair the games would always be great. The reason the last game was such a disappointment was because 'they' as outlined by Eade were being too nice and they basically did not prepare like professionals. They have the ability to master the ball as proved before so I don't take the ball as an excuse it's bad preparation and disregard/respect for the game that resulted in the blow out in the previous game. They won't let that happen again.
This "professional/amateur" thing is so tedious. For a start, a third of Ireland's squad are professional Australian footballers. And our players might be professionals with on oval ball, but they are definitely amateurs with a round one.

Personally I like this years series, no stars from my team I have to worry about getting injured in a game that means nothing. If they keep picking squads like this I wouldnt care if it continues indefinately, whereas up till this year I wanted it gone.

Suggest you go back and watch both series if you're that keen on making a point about this. There were cheap shots everywhere. Confirmed by several in attendance too.

Don't need to, Amer. At the time, I recorded the two games from both series and watched them in slow motion countless times. The main accusation against the GAA players was the ankle tap. Didn't see it or anything like it.

I'd be wary of the so called confirmations by those claiming to have been in attendance. Whatever they claim to have seen was not captured on film.

Anyway, if the concept is discontinued, it'll be a shame because it is a fast, entertaining game. It's a game I'd have liked to have had a crack at - it looks like good fun.

They only trained for about a week( maybe a bit longer). What did they expect? Pick the skills up in a couple of sessions?? For most of the team who hasn't played before? Just so amateurish

Have to agree with Dogsbody. I was at both games in Galway & Dublin when Sheedy was manager and the rabbit punching and ankle tapping were figments of his imagination. There was a 'Glasgow Kiss' given to Ryan O'Keeffe which was undeserved but the lad who gave it saw mayhem all round him - still only partial justification.

I have been to matches going back to the '80s and have always enjoyed the games and the concept when they are played in the right spirit. The Test in Croke Park the day after the Bali bombing was one of the finest sporting contests I have ever attended (and that includes Ireland v Italy in Giants Stadium, All Ireland football and hurling finals and 6 Nations Grand Slam deciders). It would be a pity to see the best of our indigenous players not have the chance to represent their respective countries in a game with terrific potential. This time it appears to be the AFL who have messed up with the scheduling of the games and the team and coach selected - why was not Malthouse in charge? Why was the Melborne match not sheduled as second game and why were not a few big names encourage to play. We also know from last year that AFL players are well up to playing this game and are well up to kicking the round ball.

Have to agree with Dogsbody. I was at both games in Galway & Dublin when Sheedy was manager and the rabbit punching and ankle tapping were figments of his imagination. There was a 'Glasgow Kiss' given to Ryan O'Keeffe which was undeserved but the lad who gave it saw mayhem all round him - still only partial justification.

I have been to matches going back to the '80s and have always enjoyed the games and the concept when they are played in the right spirit. The Test in Croke Park the day after the Bali bombing was one of the finest sporting contests I have ever attended (and that includes Ireland v Italy in Giants Stadium, All Ireland football and hurling finals and 6 Nations Grand Slam deciders). It would be a pity to see the best of our indigenous players not have the chance to represent their respective countries in a game with terrific potential. This time it appears to be the AFL who have messed up with the scheduling of the games and the team and coach selected - why was not Malthouse in charge? Why was the Melborne match not sheduled as second game and why were not a few big names encourage to play. We also know from last year that AFL players are well up to playing this game and are well up to kicking the round ball.

I was at both games too in 06, and there was no ankle tapping or rabbit punching off the ball. thats not to say the Irish were innocent that day, because being the idiots some of them are, they were starting fights they couldnt win, and then cried about it. Geraghty got knocked out in a fair tackle, and Boylan moaned about it. ryan went in with a dirty tackle at one stage too. And there is no justification at all for what Lockhart did to O Keefe. headbutting is a scumbag thing to do.

anyway, all that stuff is long gone now. you'd sear both teams were best friends the way the games are now, with absolutley no hitting. there is a line that was crossed in 05, but you can still have tough competetive games with intensity without having to resort to all out violence.

The scheduling for last weekend, clashing witn the Spring Carnival, was certainly a mess. I generally enjoy the game, so much so that I organised a holiday a few years ago to coincide with the series in Ireland and saw a game at a sold out Croke Park. I'd never been to a game in Australia so planned to go down to Melbourne last weekend to watch it. I bought a ticket to the game weeks ahead, booked the Friday off work. But then when - three weeks before the game - I got around to booking a flight, I found that all flight prices anytime on Friday were outrageously priced, about twice the cost they would normally be for the same type of ticket. Once the Australian squad of no-names was announced, I decided I couldn't be bothered to go down if it was going to cost me so much.

There's a saying in Ireland: Either pi$$ or get off the pot. The time for excuses is over. If this Australia squad has any pride in themselves, they have to up their intensity and play like they wanst to do themselves proud.

Last year's team proved the round ball can be dealt with quite adequately. All we are looking for is a good competitive game, played in the right spirit, and still including the strong physical element that both countries love in their own code. No Irish Gaelic Football fan wants to see endless handballs going up and down the field. We want challenges, tackles, contact, make your opponent earn his possession.

I don't think Australia could play as bad as last week again even if they tried. So here's hoping for a decent contest. It would be a sad reflection on both our codes to see this Compromise die due to apathy.

COME ON IRELAND

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the AFL said it was sold out months ago? Could just be spin but if so the crowd should be pretty decent.

There's a saying in Ireland: Either pi$$ or get off the pot. The time for excuses is over. If this Australia squad has any pride in themselves, they have to up their intensity and play like they wanst to do themselves proud.

Last year's team proved the round ball can be dealt with quite adequately. All we are looking for is a good competitive game, played in the right spirit, and still including the strong physical element that both countries love in their own code. No Irish Gaelic Football fan wants to see endless handballs going up and down the field. We want challenges, tackles, contact, make your opponent earn his possession.

I don't think Australia could play as bad as last week again even if they tried. So here's hoping for a decent contest. It would be a sad reflection on both our codes to see this Compromise die due to apathy.

COME ON IRELAND
The pot is all yours

I thought the AFL said it was sold out months ago? Could just be spin but if so the crowd should be pretty decent.
Sold Out is the new marketing code for "ticket sales disappointing".
Its the last gasp effort of at least drumming up interest.
A bit like when u see a film/play being advertised on tv, you know its a dud when the ad is the type that has people coming out of the theatre going apeshit about it. Only used as last gasp for the duds.

I really hope they get a poor turn out. Last weeks effort was terrible, can't believe I wasted $20 on that crap.

Lets face it...its not something you'd travel even 15mins to watch.

You knew it was dead when the wowsers thought any biffo was too much.

Its Aust v Irl..no deep seated dislikes or rivalry, let alone any kind of sporting history...so the only chance was to create something different, and nothing beats a bit of animosity to do that. Afterall both countries dont mind a bit and everyone shakes hands afterwards and has a beer and a laff. Now its just meaningless low skill drivel.

Players now trying too hard to be coachable and less individuality and skills on display...boring. Add to that having only lesser players and who the hell would bother. At least when both sides were allowed to have a bit of fun there was some passion...now its as interesting as pakistani womens badminton.

Don't need to, Amer. At the time, I recorded the two games from both series and watched them in slow motion countless times. The main accusation against the GAA players was the ankle tap. Didn't see it or anything like it.

I'd be wary of the so called confirmations by those claiming to have been in attendance. Whatever they claim to have seen was not captured on film.

Anyway, if the concept is discontinued, it'll be a shame because it is a fast, entertaining game. It's a game I'd have liked to have had a crack at - it looks like good fun.

I was at both games and there was no ankle tapping etc.
Anyone who was at the games and said there was, is lying.

I really hope they get a poor turn out. Last weeks effort was terrible, can't believe I wasted $20 on that crap.

strange, my dad his best mate and my brother went. They quite enjoyed it (besides the aussies being crap) purely in their words "for the skill of the irish", and would go again.

each to their own I guess.

It will be interesting to see how things go in the second test. History has shown that when Australia promise to up the intensity and become 'more physical and show pride in the jersey' etc. etc. it usually only means one thing. This happened when Sheedy was in charge, the first test passing off tamely and largely without incident, and then the Aussies making all sort of threats in the press ('open slather' I believe was the term used) before the second, which largely came to pass with all the violence on the field.
I think some of the Irish lads didn't cover themselves in glory once it all started kicking off but the series history shows that if Australia play hard and fair, Ireland leave it there, if Australia start with the bullyboy cheapshots then Ireland start with the niggly digs. Cue mayhem.
I always grin when I see a lot of posters on in-denial posters on here suggesting Ireland go out to start the violence. I always ask why would we start a fight we have absolutely no chance of winning instead of sticking to our skills to win the game? From reading through here I can see a lot of intellectual, professorial types that don't credit Irish people with much intelligence but at least give us that much.
On the other hand if Australia are being outmatched on skills, they have a good reason to resort to the nasty to even things out.
The ironic thing was that under Sheedy the Australians were far, far superior in open play and didn't need the rough stuff. I get the impression Sheedy's credo was to win the game and the fight as well, just for good measure. Then, under heavy attack, of course he had to come up with some sort of excuse afterwards, by suggesting the Irish started it, which is frankly, ridiculous. The Irish aren't interested in violence until the Aussies bring it to the table first, then it all just gets rather silly. Because, by our own admission, we don't have as many players who are as physically well conditioned as the Australians. But if the Aussies keep their powder dry it all goes off very quietly, maybe too quietly for some peoples' liking.
The second test will be interesting. I think replies to this, alas, will not be.

It will be interesting to see how things go in the second test. History has shown that when Australia promise to up the intensity and become 'more physical and show pride in the jersey' etc. etc. it usually only means one thing. This happened when Sheedy was in charge, the first test passing off tamely and largely without incident, and then the Aussies making all sort of threats in the press ('open slather' I believe was the term used) before the second, which largely came to pass with all the violence on the field.
I think some of the Irish lads didn't cover themselves in glory once it all started kicking off but the series history shows that if Australia play hard and fair, Ireland leave it there, if Australia start with the bullyboy cheapshots then Ireland start with the niggly digs. Cue mayhem.
I always grin when I see a lot of posters on in-denial posters on here suggesting Ireland go out to start the violence. I always ask why would we start a fight we have absolutely no chance of winning instead of sticking to our skills to win the game? From reading through here I can see a lot of intellectual, professorial types that don't credit Irish people with much intelligence but at least give us that much.
On the other hand if Australia are being outmatched on skills, they have a good reason to resort to the nasty to even things out.
The ironic thing was that under Sheedy the Australians were far, far superior in open play and didn't need the rough stuff. I get the impression Sheedy's credo was to win the game and the fight as well, just for good measure. Then, under heavy attack, of course he had to come up with some sort of excuse afterwards, by suggesting the Irish started it, which is frankly, ridiculous. The Irish aren't interested in violence until the Aussies bring it to the table first, then it all just gets rather silly. Because, by our own admission, we don't have as many players who are as physically well conditioned as the Australians. But if the Aussies keep their powder dry it all goes off very quietly, maybe too quietly for some peoples' liking.
The second test will be interesting. I think replies to this, alas, will not be.
Or maybe it's because ours is a body contact sport and yours isn't, and some brainiac decided to try to combine the two.
Like trying to combine soccer and rugby, except that the soccer players probably wouldn't squeal as much.

Or maybe it's because ours is a body contact sport and yours isn't, and some brainiac decided to try to combine the two.
Like trying to combine soccer and rugby, except that the soccer players probably wouldn't squeal as much.

And AFL players don't play act? Cough!!
Once again, the soft AFL fans pick on the Irish over compromised rules.
I say let's have Ireland (decent history) v Australia (no history at any weight) at boxing.

Remove this Banner Ad

International Rules 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back