International Rules 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to me the round ball isn't the problem then, the quality of the players is.
Can't blame the rules for that one.
You skipped over the experienced part.

The round ball is of course a huge problem, hence why good players with solid IR experience makes a world of difference.

The kicking for overs in Fridays match is a testament to that.

just another few points from an Irish perspective.

It was a shite Australian side picked, and it showed, big time. Having no star on the side, is not going to get any public interested, and so it was. Having no top class players on the side meant the Irish would have a big advantage, and it showed. And not preparing properly and having 5 days worth of a get together also showed. Keane has said previously if Australia picked their absolute best players, they would beat us easy, and I've no doubt that would be the case. My problem, especially with the series in 05, was Australia were skilflly a better side, but were really cynical and dirty in their actions.

the year after, it was physical, but some of the Irish play in was ridiculous in the extreme, and hypocrtical. Ryan O Keefe got a head butt to the face. In fairness to him, he made nothing of it, but I have no doubts, if one of our lads got it there would be no end to discussions on it.

what we have now is too sanitised. A game can be played hard an tough, without having the borderline violence. It seemd at times that the Aussies were almost afraid to go in hard. I had to listen to some whinging about Robinsons effort where the Irish lad was concussed. He did absolutley nothing wrong, and that is his game. Its not in our game at all to go in with the head over the ball, so Bolton was always going to come out second best, but it was just unfortunate to him, but nothing at all wrong with the tackle.

As for some of the comments regarding Danyl Pearce knocking Geraghty out, again, no one hyped him up as our hard man. he is a forward, and isnt a tough player. And he was taken out with a legitimate tackle, but ended up face into the ground. If you dont know how to 'ride' or 'take' a tackle like that, it doesnt matter how big the player is enforcing it. I dont do judo, if a kid went for a take down on me, he'd hammer me, coz I dont know how to defend it. size doesnt matter, its all about technique.

also, some of you are completley confusing the issue with Colm 'Gooch' Cooper thinkin he is an enforcer or some sort of hard man who came over a few years back. He wouldnt fight his way out of a paper bag. An abundance of skill, but not in any way physical, as you can see from a pic of him
Cooper.165.jpg

The series isnt generating much interest over here either. its off our main television channels, and is now shown on the Irish speaking channel. I watched it myself, out of general interest, but could take or leave the event. Was good to see Walsh and Kennelly playing well, huge loss for Kerry.

I enjoy the games and I hope the series continues.

We were beaten by a better team this time, as simple as that. The Irish were impressive, and would have beat us under AFL rules.

I thought Tadgh Kenelly was the prime mover and man of the match. Also how good a prospect is Tommy Walsh for the Swans. But many of the Irish impressed.

I enjoy the games and I hope the series continues.

We were beaten by a better team this time, as simple as that. The Irish were impressive, and would have beat us under AFL rules.

I thought Tadgh Kenelly was the prime mover and man of the match. Also how good a prospect is Tommy Walsh for the Swans. But many of the Irish impressed.

Really, you think they would have beaten us under AFL rules - with a Sherrin?? I think not.

The Irish went in fully prepared and picked their best team available.

The Aussies went in COMPLETELY uninterested, approached it like a picnic.

Disgraceful episode.

To pick a team like we did is shameful.

And they played like embarrasing marshmellows

What the F--K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Represent Australia and you must put all in.

I would have shirtfronted everybody including the umpires to fire up the Aussies.

Edit extra : A few days later and re-reading this post which was written after watching the game with a few mates in a jovial mood,
I forgot to add that this match will be on You Tube forever, and the realities of the AFL, which is blo-dy tough and couragious, will show us getting bumped off the ball, falling over after minimal contact and looking very silly with skill, for many to joke about.

So if we try to showcase the reality of AFL footballers in our time, we cannot do this to show our great great grandchildren.

Crikees if overs were 6 points, Aussies lost by 90 points ina shortened game.
THATS LIKE 110 POINTS in an AFL game.

WHat da!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been to a lot of IR games and am old enough to remember when the Galahs came in 1967 and won all round them playing straight up Gaelic Football - the difference in fitness was huge.

The touring team always has a huge advantage in being togeather and training togeather over a prolonged period.

This Oz team does not appear to have gotten their heads around kicking the round ball - it a lot easier to learn to kick it then it is a Sherrin. Also playing in a covered -ie windless - stadium helped with kicking scores.

The Irish lads seemed much better giving and taking tackles then before - I think having 'Geezer' McGeeney in charge of coaching this has helped.

Another part of the tour which fans are probable totally unaware of is the discussions on running an indeginous sport that go on between the 'suits'
I don't have the skill to put up a link to Sean Moran's diary under Gaelic Games in the Irish Times - maybe some nerd could oblige!

Did anyone notice how that bloke who came over to the huddle and started that little scuffle took no part in it. Talking to that Irish bloke he said how brave he is and what not but when you watch the replay he starts it walks off and doesn't even take any part in it what so ever. Made me lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol wut?
It might have been a team of spuds, but they were still AFL listed spuds. Under AFL rules they would have won by 40 goals.
The Irish are a very fit looking, bigger stronger team, with a liberal sprinkling of past and present AFL players, and given current AFL rules where you earn a free kick if anybody dares to touch you (thats a whole other thread).

Call me a troll if you want, but I repeat, against the team we put out, the Irish would have won under AFL rules.

The Irish are a very fit looking, bigger stronger team, with a liberal sprinkling of past and present AFL players, and given current AFL rules where you earn a free kick if anybody dares to touch you (thats a whole other thread).

Call me a troll if you want, but I repeat, against the team we put out, the Irish would have won under AFL rules.

http://imageshack.us

The interest in the International Rules series is surely at an all time low in Australia. Big name players are not interested in nominating to play and therefore crowds and tv audiences are not being drawn to the game.

Is it time to scrap this concept altogether? I believe so.

If the AFL is still keen to have some format of representative football then I say lets have something that both players and fans will enjoy and be engaged with. I'm talking about State of Origin footy. BRING IT BACK!!

lol wut?

It might have been a team of spuds, but they were still AFL listed spuds. Under AFL rules they would have won by 40 goals.
None of them are spuds at AFL level, they are all decent players. However, they are either still too young, or just below the top echelon of players e.g. Kelly and Vince, or are only average players at best anyway e.g. King and Nahas. Spuds is becoming a term way too commonly used to describe average to ok AFL players these days.

None of them are spuds at AFL level, they are all decent players. However, they are either still too young, or just below the top echelon of players e.g. Kelly and Vince, or are only average players at best anyway e.g. King and Nahas. Spuds is becoming a term way too commonly used to describe average to ok AFL players these days.
But in the context of an Australian representative team it was beyond shithouse.

What's your logic.
A big win by the Irish encourages them to play AR because they'll be good at it or a big win discourages the Irish to play AR because the Aussies are crap at IR ?
The logic being if I'm a youngster sitting at home in Dublin watching a bunch of supposed AFL professionals goosestepping their way around the field, I'd feel quite satisfied in sticking with my game as a fan and player, with no inclination to explore the code whose representatives are getting beaten by the equivalent of 15 goals. It was a bad advertisement, no two ways about it.

none of them are spuds at afl level, they are all decent players. However, they are either still too young, or just below the top echelon of players e.g. Kelly and vince, or are only average players at best anyway e.g. King and nahas. Spuds is becoming a term way too commonly used to describe average to ok afl players these days.

lol!!!

Yeah, should have gone with Kelly and Swallow. :thumbsu:

Vince shouldn't be too far away from regaining his BnF season form, and staking a claim as one of the latter picks for our IR team. (lead by at least 3-4 top 10 players in the league) Not be one of the higher echelon players after a mediocre season.

If the AFL is still keen to have some format of representative football then I say lets have something that both players and fans will enjoy and be engaged with. I'm talking about State of Origin footy. BRING IT BACK!!

Desperate times for a one country sport.

It's quite baffling that after all these years, a lot of aussie rules fans still seem to think international rules and gaelic football are the same.
There's a great website called www.youtube.com that has footage from all sorts of bizarre and obscure sports from around the world.
Sit down for 5 minutes and watch some clips of gaelic football.
For those who think you'd give us a game in gaelic football, imagine how different aussie rules would be tactically if play didn't stop for a mark and you couldn't tackle players to the ground.
Those two rules massively affect the game dynamics and how you attack and defend.

There's a very good reason the Australians dominated back in the mid-20th century when IR was played under all-Gaelic rules (save for dribbling). If you couldn't stop for a mark, the game would be in perpetual movement and their superior fitness and capacity to push up the ground would come to the fore, and this would be highlighted even further if tackling was omitted. With the amount of ground AFL players cover these days, on massive grounds, the amount of training they do, there's no way the Irish could compete as well. The ONLY change there that wouldn't advantage Australia is the dribbling style. It is the only thing that legitimately doesn't translate. The tackling is no longer much of an issue, because the degree to which it can be used has been scaled back to the point that the Australians employ little to no physicality.

International Rules, for all intents and purposes (in terms of the things that make it tough for one side or the other to adapt) heavily, heavily favours Gaelic football. Several of the changes added to make it "more" like Aussie rules actually make it easier for the Irish - like bouncing the round ball. A hell of a lot easier than chipping back to oneself, regardless of who you are. Anyone can bounce a round ball. A shitload easier than having to bounce an oblong ball. It doesn't close any gap, because it doesn't present a foreign skill to either side.

Personally I don't have a problem with this - the game should favour the Irish, or else the series doesn't work in the modern era. But it's delusional to try to say the game isn't a hell of a lot closer to Gaelic than it is to footy. EVERY SKILL IN GAELIC that could potentially disadvantage the Australian side is present, bar the dribbling style. The ball is round, which hands about a thousand advantages to the Irish in nearly every facet of the game (field kicking, judging the flight of the ball, the ability to score) the field of play is tiny, the scoring area is the same as in Gaelic, there are goalkeepers (not a single player in the AFL has any idea how to play anything resembling this role, which opens up an enormous scoring area for the Irish), there's a cap on handballing so the bread and butter ball movement style employed by every AFL player is not usable. It's not a wonder they run around like headless chooks before turning the ball over, the cornerstone of their game results in a free to the opposition.

The only problem is, as much as these leanings need to be present to make the game feasible, they also make it farcical. It's an awkward hybrid that can't ever really present an equitable set of rules, end of the day.

There's a very good reason the Australians dominated back in the mid-20th century when IR was played under all-Gaelic rules (save for dribbling). If you couldn't stop for a mark, the game would be in perpetual movement and their superior fitness and capacity to push up the ground would come to the fore, and this would be highlighted even further if tackling was omitted. With the amount of ground AFL players cover these days, on massive grounds, the amount of training they do, there's no way the Irish could compete as well. The ONLY change there that wouldn't advantage Australia is the dribbling style. It is the only thing that legitimately doesn't translate. The tackling is no longer much of an issue, because the degree to which it can be used has been scaled back to the point that the Australians employ little to no physicality.

International Rules, for all intents and purposes (in terms of the things that make it tough for one side or the other to adapt) heavily, heavily favours Gaelic football. Several of the changes added to make it "more" like Aussie rules actually make it easier for the Irish - like bouncing the round ball. A hell of a lot easier than chipping back to oneself, regardless of who you are. Anyone can bounce a round ball. A shitload easier than having to bounce an oblong ball. It doesn't close any gap, because it doesn't present a foreign skill to either side.

Personally I don't have a problem with this - the game should favour the Irish, or else the series doesn't work in the modern era. But it's delusional to try to say the game isn't a hell of a lot closer to Gaelic than it is to footy. EVERY SKILL IN GAELIC that could potentially disadvantage the Australian side is present, bar the dribbling style. The ball is round, which hands about a thousand advantages to the Irish in nearly every facet of the game (field kicking, judging the flight of the ball, the ability to score) the field of play is tiny, the scoring area is the same as in Gaelic, there are goalkeepers (not a single player in the AFL has any idea how to play anything resembling this role, which opens up an enormous scoring area for the Irish), there's a cap on handballing so the bread and butter ball movement style employed by every AFL player is not usable. It's not a wonder they run around like headless chooks before turning the ball over, the cornerstone of their game results in a free to the opposition.

The only problem is, as much as these leanings need to be present to make the game feasible, they also make it farcical. It's an awkward hybrid that can't ever really present an equitable set of rules, end of the day.

And they call Poms whingers.

Remove this Banner Ad

International Rules 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back