Resource International Rules kit history

Remove this Banner Ad

denishurley

Debutant
Nov 6, 2010
Ireland
AFL Club
Essendon
Following on from something in the footyjumpers.com thread, I've started creating images of the strips worn in the Compromise Rules/International Rules competition.

For no particular reason, Australia 2008 is the first one I've completed, available to view on my Gaelic games kits site, Pride In The Jersey (click on images for larger view). More will be added in the coming days, with the gallery hopefully completed by the time of the first test on October 28

Thanks Lee, there was a series in 2002, not sure why there are no pics? I'm pretty much sorted for the earlier series too, bar 1990 for some reason. In 1986 and 87, Ireland wore sleeveless shirts - even though in 87 it was on in Ireland :/

Ireland jerseys updated, just in time for the game today, Aussie ones nearly done too, just need to make sure I've all the sponsors right

If you hover over a strip it shows it, or click on it for a larger image. Been trialling a few different ways to give info on kits, it's been bugging me!

2011 Aussie kits have the Toyota logo and "CAMRY ATEVA" or something like that on the front... I fell asleep before the end of the game. Suckling put the SUCK into goalkeeping... as bad as Simon Goodwin was in the past.

Personally I reckon the V is better than the sash on the Australian top. Many years ago I considered buying an Aussie top... I went to the AFL shop and tried one on, they were sized incredibly wrong. XXLs were really XLs, it was like it was painted on me. No way was I paying $130 for something like that. (Or $160 if you bought one at the game.)

Camry Ateva

1224306729873_1.jpg

best pic I could find

Ahh so it is. Btw the carlton draught logo looked terrible on the back. I hate unnecessary white boxes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah a no-brainer I would have though. He played soccer as a kid, 206cm tall and great ball skills. The selection process this year has been really poor IMO.

I just noticed on the 2007 (I think) shirt, there is the Puma logo on the right sleeve but the Russell Athletic logo on the left sleeve/shorts/socks. Maybe just a slight error when copying the design from the previous year and making the alterations.

Why wasn't it Zac Smith? he would've done better

Apparently Smith was mooted but in training he was of more use as a marking option down forward. Suckling was picked as GK mainly because he had a strong kick, which was true - one kick-in went about 65 metres up field. But Suckling couldn't read the play, saw him stand and watch as the ball curved past him into the net.

The commentators noted that the Aussies wouldn't run towards the net to try and punch a goal... every time a player put it into the zone, the Irish GK (Cluxton) was able to take the ball uncontested. Australians need to watch footage of Luke Darcy punching a goal several years back, won us the game that time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource International Rules kit history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back