Intraclub Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 22, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
UPDATE 11:20am: BEN Cousins starred in a Richmond intra-club match this morning before leaving at half-time. The gathered throng was thrilled to see Polak's first competitive hit-out since last year's horrific tram accident which left the defender in a coma.

But the main buzz was reserved for fallen Eagle Ben Cousins, who is playing his debut season in the yellow and black.

The former Eagle star played in the same side as Graham Polak, who is recuperating from serious injuries sustained in a tram accident last year.

Cousins impressed from the start, setting up a shot at goal early in the match before stepping up a gear in the second term.

He gathered more than a dozen touches in the second quarter, one of which was a 50m pass that hit Polak on the chest.

HeraldSun...

Hmmm - I am moist

Re: Cousins Stars in Intraclub

This sounds very good, but I cant wait to read the feed back from the big footy guys that attended. The media will pump him up at every opportunity. Sorry to sound a little negative, I am just trying to contain my excitement

At half-time, Cousins was whisked away in a car with another Tigers player.

Andrew Raines, returning from a knee injury, looked strong playing for the other side, as has Matthew Richardson who has taken a couple of hangers playing on the wing.

During the second term the Tiger favourite left the field to run sprints on a neighbouring oval.

Polak, playing in a helmet, played the whole first quarter but failed to register a possession and looked understandably tentative considering the extent of his injuries.

At half-time, fans flooded the field to get up close to the players.

More to come, including photos and video footage from the match.

I left at half time and just got home. There'll be plenty about Cousins pouring in soon enough, but personally I was impressed by a few of the guys I hadn't seen before: Rance and Putt especially.

Richo was killing everyone for the first 15 minutes before he and Simmonds went to an adjacent oval for a few sprints - hope hhe's okay (looked fine, not trying to scare anyone).

Everything Cousins did was done well, and fitness wise he looked fine.

Cleve Hughes looked like he's put on 10 kilos of muscle, while Jack Riewoldt looked the same size as last year - neither of them did anything amazing on the ground while I was there, although I think both kicked goals.

And then there was Deledio - God he's good.

Someone was talking to me the whole time, so I couldn't pay too much attention, and now I've got to go and buy a fridge, so I'm sorrry I can't really add much more.

This sounds very good, but I cant wait to read the feed back from the big footy guys that attended. The media will pump him up at every opportunity. Sorry to sound a little negative, I am just trying to contain my excitement

With you here Morro. Can't help but question the HS reporting of proceedings. Bring on the accounts from BigFooty posters (and other Tiger forums) I say :thumbsu:

Edt: Now that does sound good haggard

Just spoke to my brother who was there. He said cuz looked very good and although was blowing a little still had all the skill and run that we know of. Also said polak looked good as well as did hislop and thompson. Can't watch to watch the game next week against the dockers

Just spoke to my brother who was there. He said cuz looked very good and although was blowing a little still had all the skill and run that we know of. Also said polak looked good as well as did hislop and thompson. Can't watch to watch the game next week against the dockers

Hey Dean, saying that Polak looked good, does he mean played well or just looked like he was recovering well. Because apparently he only played a quarter and a half and didnt touch it in the 1st

?????????

Either way its great for him?

Hey Dean, saying that Polak looked good, does he mean played well or just looked like he was recovering well. Because apparently he only played a quarter and a half and didnt touch it in the 1st

?????????

Either way its great for him?

Well I spoke to my bro before I read about him not having a touch. It was during the 3rd quarter that i spoke to him so he must have got a bit of it after the the report was made as he was saying he played well. Will find out more soon i suppose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I left at half time and just got home. There'll be plenty about Cousins pouring in soon enough, but personally I was impressed by a few of the guys I hadn't seen before: Rance and Putt especially.

Richo was killing everyone for the first 15 minutes before he and Simmonds went to an adjacent oval for a few sprints - hope hhe's okay (looked fine, not trying to scare anyone).

Everything Cousins did was done well, and fitness wise he looked fine.

Cleve Hughes looked like he's put on 10 kilos of muscle, while Jack Riewoldt looked the same size as last year - neither of them did anything amazing on the ground while I was there, although I think both kicked goals.

And then there was Deledio - God he's good.

Someone was talking to me the whole time, so I couldn't pay too much attention, and now I've got to go and buy a fridge, so I'm sorrry I can't really add much more.

that is absolute BS dude. Whats with the cant add more shit? What about after you buy the fridge, or what happens if you dont buy one, what are you going to do around 7 and so on.

Anway back to the cuzmaster, not to fussed what goes down and how good he looks in these games, since forever and a day, we get a player in from another club and they look good. Especially when they have the foot skills of ex-eagles players and we know how good ours were and invariably still are. ;)

I got there about halfway through the first quarter. Cuz worked his way into it then in the second quarter showed enough to suggest he's still a very, very good player. If he stays off the Uncle Dougs we're laughing all the way to the bank.:thumbsu:

Polly spilled a few marks before Cuz hit him on the chest, as did JON, who played as a lead-up half-forward and didn't stand out in either a good or bad way. Had plenty of friends in that regard IMO. He is quick with a good leap and good hands. Played first half only.

Polly played three quarters and threw himself into it. Didn't shirk anything and got treated like anyone else, so that's a good sign. Thursty wasn't afraid to lay a shepherd on him. Kicked 0.3 from what I saw.

Cogs I thought struggled to get into it. He's lost weight and is about the same build as Polo these days. Didn't do a lot of his renowned clearance work but got a few handball receives and his kicking was typically neat. Still a big question mark unfortunately.

Speaking of Polo, he probably got more of the ball than anyone. Played on Richo to begin with, then went back and touched up Mich Morton, then went onto the ball.

Andy Collins is bigger than I thought, about the same size as Polo too. First time I've seen him play and I was impressed. Reminds of someone in body shape and the way he moves but I can't put my finger on it.

We like Nahas.:thumbsu:

Post will play this year. He's better than Rance. Taller and bigger than Thursfield and once the ball hits his hands it doesn't move. Took one ripper mark in the third quarter and converted, then held his own v Jack in the last.

Speaking of Jack, he probably shaded McGuane in their duel. Kicked 2-3.

Rance I'm not sold on. Doesn't look a key defender and didn't really play as one. More a tall flanker.

Cleve looks like Adonis but still doesn't do enough. Needs to go towards the ball in a marking contest instead of letting it come to him and giving his man a chance to spoil. But he's our FF.

I tell you right now: if Simmo or Patto goes down and we have to play one of Gus, Vickery, Putt or Browne, I'd pick Browne. I predicted he'd show Graham up and he did. In a game for thoroughbreds, Gus is a camel.

Vickery beat Putt in their ruck contests. Putt is more of a forward. He has a long way to go but if and when he clicks, look out. For such a tall bloke he is incredibly nimble. Patto played forward and took a screamer of a contested mark over Jack, Moore and Schulz. And converted.

Raines played the first half off half-back and looked very good. So did Edwards in a similar role. He's put on a bit of weight and is so quick of foot, hand and mind. Like him a lot.

Who else?

I didn't recognise Thomson. If someone else who was there can tell me which team he was on and what number he was I can report, because there were quite a few unrecognisables out there. The dark bloke wearing 18 for the white team - is that the tennis player who's been training with us? I like him. Similar size and build to Rance but quicker and I reckon with plenty of upside.

White turned on the after-burners a couple of times and sliced his way through 4-5 of them, but forgot to bounce it. He's a regular now, no doubts.

King got a lot of it, did his typical 14 changes of direction and scrapped like a terrier. He's a good bloke to have at the club with that attitude and will give his all whenever we need him but I still hope that's not too often.

I didn't notice Hislop much.

Connors came on in the second half and kicked a nice goal.

Lids is a Ferrarri. Needs a slight tune-up or to get on the autobahn and blow out the kinks at 280kmh. But we love him.

That's about all worth mentioning. The usual suspects did what you'd expect. Foley might be in for a big year. Johnson didn't play but addressed the black team at 3/4 time, as Petts did with the white. They might have done it at every break but that's the only one I went to. Brown didn't play. Tambling didn't play. Gililigan is clever, slippery and keeps his feet but didn't do a lot. Nahas well ahead at this stage.

Ratten, Fev and Skinny Lappin were watching. Fev is huge across the shoulders and chest. I mean massive.

Speaking of massive, Damien Monkhorst looks like he eats rovers for breakfast. He was tutoring Putt at 3/4 time and made him look like a skinny kid. Putt is starting to develop arms but Monky's hands, arms, thickness dwarfed him.

Any questions, fire away.

Thanks RAD :thumbsu:

Great to hear Polo did well, that is the most pleasing thing for me. Would love to see him hit the ground running this year:)

Nice to hear Raines went alright too, I know a lot of people are off his bandwagon, but I still think he adds a lot of depth and can be a handy player

The Snag reports the following.

firstly, someone should have been selling food an drink...would haev made a fortune!!

Players who impressed(even surprised !) the most in order..Raines, Edwards,foley, Reiwoldt, vickory, cousins , richo, nahas

JOn...dear oh dear. Did anyone see his first attempt at a mark?? polak, polo and coughlan struggled for mine

Raines was super impresive for mine and appeared to make better decisoins than in the past

Nahas could be intersting

give us the goss on this kid dude. Is he the answer we have been looking for in our FL? i.e the crumber that gets the ****ing job done? Been watching this kid for a few years and always wanted him to be given a try, especially for us.
Nippy, fast, smart, somehow always lucky to be Johnny on the spot, which to me is a skill and strangely for the build he has, pretty strong.
Does he look like he belongs? ;)

Good to hear Connors is playing, I thought he would sit this one out with injury concerns, Did he play the entire 2nd half?

Surprised to hear your comments on Post in comparison to Rance. Good to hear he's showing some good signs early. The AFL prospectus says he's the next Sam fisher :)

Glad Polo got a lot of it, I like him alot as a player and it really is a make or break year for him. maybe he'll fill in for Cotchin in the earlier rounds.

Can you tell me more about Nahas?

give us the goss on this kid dude. Is he the answer we have been looking for in our FL? i.e the crumber that gets the ****ing job done? Been watching this kid for a few years and always wanted him to be given a try, especially for us.
Nippy, fast, smart, somehow always lucky to be Johnny on the spot, which to me is a skill and strangely for the build he has, pretty strong.
Does he look like he belongs? ;)
I just got back from the game.
Nahas should play round 1, find a way to put him on the senior list, exactly the player we have been looking for in the forward line, is brave and puts his head over the ball, chases and tackles, do not let his small frame fool you;)
Just knows how to get the ball through the goals.
And if he doesn't work Alroy Gilligan looked very good in the forward line probably kicked goal of the day when he beat about 3 players, lost it tyhen tackled and got handball receive for the goal.
He just looked like a special player and I think we finally have a forward pocket in one of these two.

Cousins didn't look like he had been out of the game at all, did his usual kick the ball from the centre then was at the contest not long after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Intraclub Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back