Introduction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

My name is Jonathan (Jono for short). I am 25 and I have been a Hawthorn supporter all my life. My dad and brothers are also passionate Hawkers although mum follows the Bulldogs, which should make for an interesting first week come finals. :p

I only stumbled across bigfooty earlier this year but since then have been frequently reading many of the posts, mainly on the Hawthorn board and Bay 13 (always manages to make me laugh some of the stuff that ends up on there, with the likes of geelong_crazy26, poidacat, etc). I look forward to being able to contribute my own posts going forward.

I have been to most of our games this year, including week one of the NAB cup at Aurora stadium against the Swans and Round 12 against the Crows at AAMI (what a win that was!) and thankfully most have been good results. :)

During the week I get to drive home along Hawthorn road which makes peak hour traffic bearable. :thumbsu:

Anway, hopefully I will catch up with many of you at some of the pre-game gatherings at the London in the future and hopefully we can win our tenth flag for Crawford this year. Go Hawks!

I add my welcome too, HH.

Hi All ,
Im Tim and ive been a hawks fan since the 60's and continuous member for 7 seasons now. (ok I'm an old fart)

I started visiting Big Footy this year as I found it was a great place for all the information going on around the club as well as game day seating and ticketing news that I couldnt seem to find anywhere else.:thumbsu:

My hawks guernsey doesn't have a number on the back because for me the hawks have never been about individuals. Players come and go, they add their own chapter to the history of the the club but none are greater than the sum total of the team.

I do think we are witnessing a new era of great attacking football at the Hawks that looks as promising as the great teams that have triumphed before.

Didn't see this until now... anyway,

Hi Guys,

The name's Nik and i've been a Hawthorn member since I was 5 - so 14 years running to this date. Found Bigfooty while over hearding some members talk about it at a game earlier this year and im glad I did.

Love the Hawkas, been going to every home match since I first went back in the Waverley Park days ( still need to venture down to the Tassie fortress). Don't have a favourite player but always admire the tenacity of Campbell Brown.

Must say, I have the privilege of living around the corner from Buddy and see him and his folks quite often around the neighbourhood.

So thats about it, look forward to contributing here more often :)

Hi, I'm Belinda and was fortunate enough to be born into a Hawthorn family. My old man was born and bred in Hawthorn and so all of us kids were brought up the right way - in brown and gold! Mum was originally Collingwood (I know! :thumbsdown: ) but changed her mind in a hurry after meeting the rest of Dad's family.

I love my boys and have waited so long to see them up the top again. It's been a long time coming and I am loving every second. I've always been a member, and upgraded to Gold (from Silver) last year.

I'm not one of those supporters who is never happy and I very rarely turn on the boys. I wear a #15 on my back although my love for Campbell Brown is running a close second to my love for Hodgey!

I'm also a big motorsport fan (V8 Supercars, Historics and a bit of Ambrose related NASCAR), have a rather large collection of diecast models, love classic cars (buying a 66 Mustang in 3 years) and am employed as a primary school teacher.

That's about it!:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all,

I'm a mad hawk supporter! Have been all my life.

One of my earliest childhood memories at the tender age of 5 was copping a water-logged footy on the chest at Princes Park. Anyone else remember those early eighties footys which lost their inner tube and looked like the Bismark Blimp? Anyway, although it put me flat on my arse with the wind completely knocked out of my sails I still held onto the footy...

'85' GF was a harrowing experience for a young child. Surrounded by feral bomber supporters I gave as good as I got until late in the final qtr when the game was lost and a young girl (probably a year or two older then myself) started screaming.....

SH!T ON 'EM BOMBERS!!! SH!T ALL OVER 'EM!!! etc etc... My old man could see how visibly upset I was by this stage and grabbed me by the arm and told me we were heading home. I held in the tears (lump in the throat stuff) until I was well and truly away from the bomber (that little bitches prying eyes still haunt me) and then let all my emotions out...

As I got to three rows from the top of the aisle an old man (would have been into his early eighties) reached out and stopped me. Crying like I'd lost my mother at this point he looked me straight in the eye and said the words that I've never forgotten to this day....

"We will get them next time little fella. Always keep your head up because WE WILL GET 'EM NEXT TIME'!!!"

He almost had a John Kennedy esk "Don't think. Do!" presence & accent about him and it's always had a profound effect on my life thus far...

The great thing is that he was right!

Happy to be on board guys in what should be a fantastic finals series.
GO HAWKEEEERRRRS!!!

Hi all,

One of my earliest childhood memories at the tender age of 5 was copping a water-logged footy on the chest at Princes Park. Anyone else remember those early eighties footys which lost their inner tube and looked like the Bismark Blimp? Anyway, although it put me flat on my arse with the wind completely knocked out of my sails I still held onto the footy...

'85' GF was a harrowing experience for a young child. Surrounded by feral bomber supporters I gave as good as I got until late in the final qtr when the game was lost and a young girl (probably a year or two older then myself) started screaming.....

SH!T ON 'EM BOMBERS!!! SH!T ALL OVER 'EM!!! etc etc... My old man could see how visibly upset I was by this stage and grabbed me by the arm and told me we were heading home. I held in the tears (lump in the throat stuff) until I was well and truly away from the bomber (that little bitches prying eyes still haunt me) and then let all my emotions out...

As I got to three rows from the top of the aisle an old man (would have been into his early eighties) reached out and stopped me. Crying like I'd lost my mother at this point he looked me straight in the eye and said the words that I've never forgotten to this day....

"We will get them next time little fella. Always keep your head up because WE WILL GET 'EM NEXT TIME'!!!"

He almost had a John Kennedy esk "Don't think. Do!" presence & accent about him and it's always had a profound effect on my life thus far...

GO HAWKEEEERRRRS!!!
:thumbsu: Love the passion..
Let's hope that bloke in his early 80's is looking over us now..
Go Hawks!!:D

Hi all,

GO HAWKEEEERRRRS!!!

Good story! It's great to hear the passion that my fellow Hawks have. :thumbsu:

Those bloody Bombers. :mad:

hello :)

im a 4th generation hawthorn supporter :) brainwashed but wouldnt have it any other way!
my great pa was involved in the bussiness side of hawthorn from the late 40's to early 70's and im still waiting to see my first hawthorn grandfinal!
i love luke hodge jordan lewis brad sewell campbell brown and well any one who pulls on the hawthorn jumper :D
oh and ive been a member for 10 years
GO HAWKS!

Gday all,
I was born and raised in Sydney. When I was 6 years old I turned the TV on one Saturday afternoon and footy was on, one side was down by 20 points so I thought I would cheer them on.

I did not have a clue what was going on but that side was Hawthorn and the game was the 1972? grand final against St Kilda, followed the Hawks ever since.

I moved to Victoria in 1980 and watched my beloved Hawks dominate the 80's great days at the footy back then.

Moved up North in 87 and my love for footy still as strong as ever, I have played in the local league in the 80's 90's and the noughties and now a life member of my local footy club, even had a run last year.

Hawthorn introduced me to this great game and all the magnificent people that support it. I have many life long friends thanks to footy.

Welcome NQ Hawk.

Lucky joss to turn the tv on and see Hawthorn play. It would have been the 1971 Grand Final.

We have a few members from Qld on this forum including Gary Shadforth and Noosa Hawk Mad - look out for meet up details when the Hawks play Brissy.

Cheers

I was very lucky to come from a family that didn't force me to barrack for a team, probably because neither of my parents cared much about footy (plus Dad barracks for the Pies). Anyway when I was a six year old back in 89 I decided that I needed a team to barrack for, so I looked at the ladder and the Hawks were on top. I suffered throughout the 90s but my biggest joy came from going with my grandfather to Waverley Park every weekend. Around the mid 90s I started ditching poor old grams and leaving him in the members to go and sit with/behind the cheer squad. Another highlight at Waverley was waiting for players to come in and out of the ground for autographs. By 15 or 16 I got bored of that and spent most of that year shaking the players hands and wishing them the best for the game. Am over the moon about the clubs latest success and because I am to young to remember the last this feels like the beginning!

GO HAWKS!

Hi, I am a country Victorian. I will be joining the HFC for the first time in 2009. My grandmother took me to some games last year and I am now a commited follower.

My favourite player is Cyril Rioli and I can't wait for 2009 season to start. I would really love to be part of the cheersqud but dont know anyone else in it. My grandmother and my two great aunts go to the footy every week and have been members for many years. They were all members of the cheersquad back in the 60's and have told me stories about the 80's, the glory years as my great aunt calls them. She was one of the members instrumental in helping to stop the merger with Melbourne.

Her and a friend also made t-shirts with Too Old, Too Slow, too Bloody Good and she still has it. I love hearing stories about when Hawthorn played at Glenferrie and the fun they all had. My grandmother loved Peter Crimmons. She is helping me write this post cos my spelling is so bad.

I really hope I can be a member of the cheersquad next year so if anyone can help me with what I need to do that would be cool.

Thanks and GO HAWKS 2009

Hi, I am a country Victorian. I will be joining the HFC for the first time in 2009. My grandmother took me to some games last year and I am now a commited follower.

My favourite player is Cyril Rioli and I can't wait for 2009 season to start. I would really love to be part of the cheersqud but dont know anyone else in it. My grandmother and my two great aunts go to the footy every week and have been members for many years. They were all members of the cheersquad back in the 60's and have told me stories about the 80's, the glory years as my great aunt calls them. She was one of the members instrumental in helping to stop the merger with Melbourne.

Her and a friend also made t-shirts with Too Old, Too Slow, too Bloody Good and she still has it. I love hearing stories about when Hawthorn played at Glenferrie and the fun they all had. My grandmother loved Peter Crimmons. She is helping me write this post cos my spelling is so bad.

I really hope I can be a member of the cheersquad next year so if anyone can help me with what I need to do that would be cool.

Thanks and GO HAWKS 2009

Good onya Dee08, and welcome to the board.

Hawks Heroes would be your first port of call if you want to get into the cheersquad. Private message her.

My only other advice is to get on top of that spelling, and all your schooling, we are going to need people like you in the future in every way - and it's no good if you can't spell.

Welcome Dee08.

A tip if you really want to improve your spelling and vocabulary, read books!!!

Wilbur Smith books are my weapon of choice. Started at 13, and has done wonders for my assignment writing and general word play. Awesome books aswell.

Also keep a dictionary close at hand and don't be scared to use it if there is a word you don't understand.

Anyway, your grandmother sounds like a sweet woman. Good luck with it all.

Hello to all my name is Brad and of course I'm a Hawthorn supporter:D been that way since I was 4. I was a huge Jason Dunstall and Chris Langford fan but missed their peaked years, only caught them at the tailend of their legendary careers. I didn't get to experience the glory years of the 80's so after supporting through so many tough seasons since then. I want to experience this (hopeful) new golden era as much as I can.

My favorite player now is Jordan Lewis

Remove this Banner Ad

Introduction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back