Investigation into Essendon Fitness Program

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably because he has an important role in the club and after 30yrs deserves the benefit of a full investigation

How could the club afford continue with a man that you declare as being grossly incompetent?

The trials were as an "oral food addative" or a cream. No one would have an issue if the Bombers had used it in this form.
As and injected substance its probably not worth the trial.
a) Spend a huge amount of money for clinical trials.
b) Target market ( people on a diet trying to lose weight ) dont want injections.
c) It would be promptly banned for sportspeople.

Say you invent a new kind of steroid that isn't banned. Do you really think its worth investing megabucks ,knowing that its a steroid and will probably be banned.
We have no conclusive proof regarding the way Essendon may have employed the use of AOD. If they used a cream as Melbourne have been alleged then they used a method that is sold as a product approved for human use in Australia

Because Essendon are undergoing an investigation. Its not hard

What does that have to do with anything?

If this man is negligent as you suggest, then aren't *Essendon taking a massive risk in keeping him involved in the welfare of its players?

Wow, just wow.

All this 'I am the greatest hero internet detective in history' farce getting to you? Long hours Huh?

Go have a nice lie down petal, before god forbid you do yourself an injury:rolleyes:

How many times can this google detective throw abuse at everyone without any sanctions? Where are the mods around here to clean this garbage up.

Should be 1 week ban for poor old Ian me thinks.

Because Essendon are undergoing an investigation. Its not hard
I thought the Ziggy report has been completed, therefore the *Essendon internal investigation is over.

How many times can this google detective throw abuse at everyone without any sanctions? Where are the mods around here to clean this garbage up.

Pot kettle black

We have no conclusive proof regarding the way Essendon may have employed the use of AOD. If they used a cream as Melbourne have been alleged then they used a method that is sold as a product approved for human use in Australia

We have already established this is not the case. AOD has no regulatory approval at all. Given the ingredient isn't approved, even using that shitty cellulite cream would be a breach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anything less than a red card is unacceptable, as he clearly needs a rest the poor old petal.

Cmon MODS, step up

Lol

Are you saying 6 clinical trials showing it failed, which were admitted by the company developing and hoping to sell the substance, are incorrect?
Are you suggesting Essendon has got themselves into all this trouble for a supplement that is actually completely ineffective?

Yet coincidentally have started off the last two seasons better than any other team?

That's quite a strange take on events.

I'm off to work now in case anyone accuses me of going into hiding or collapsing in a heap, as has been said before :rolleyes:
I didn't think that village idiot was a job these days ;)

Wow, someone's a bit touchy. You're going to cop worse on here before it's all over champ, I'd recommend either lightening up or not coming on here.

On the 7.30 report.

It shows the email Wada sent to Dank and his replies..
They also said there was 22 players mentioned in the texts between Dank and Hird and the mention of two other peps..
They said it included all their major star players..

Watch from about 15m in. http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/33052

The transcript: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-02/email-exchange-reveals-drugs-in-sport-twist/4666602

LEIGH SALES, PRESENTER: For the past two months, the Essendon AFL club has been at the centre of the scandal over performance enhancing supplements in sport.
The club is being investigated by the anti-doping authority ASADA over a supplements regime run by the controversial sports scientist Steve Dank.
The program included at least one substance that the world anti-doping body, WADA, has now declared to be prohibited.
Steve Dank has claimed he had approval from WADA to use the supplements. But 7.30 has obtained crucial email exchanges between WADA and Dank which tell a different story.
Caro Meldrum-Hanna has this exclusive report.
CARO MELDRUM-HANNA, REPORTER: It's been a miracle start to the season. With a five-game winning streak, Essendon are at the top of the AFL ladder.
It's a remarkable feat, considering Essendon is the club with the most to lose from ASADA's current investigation into performance enhancing drugs in sport.
For the past three months, Essendon has been under the spotlight.
Its supplements regime, administered by former club sports scientist and biochemist Stephen Dank in 2012, is being investigated by Australia's anti-doping regulator, ASADA.
JAMES HIRD, ESSENDON COACH (Feb. 5): The substance - the supplements that our players were given, in my opinion and my knowledge, were all approved and within the regulation that we all play the game by.
CARO MELDRUM-HANNA: In February, Essendon officials denied they knew the full extent of Dank's regime.
JAMES HIRD (Feb. 5): My understanding is that we worked within the framework that was given to us by the AFL and by WADA and I'm shocked to be sitting here, really.
CARO MELDRUM-HANNA: This has since been called into question by a detailed series of more than 100 text messages sent between Essendon coach James Hird and Stephen Dank throughout 2012. The texts refer to almost every player in Essendon's squad, 22 in all, and detail a supplements regime which included multiple IVs and injections. The texts name Essendon's biggest stars. In the texts, they discuss the use of a variety of supplements, including Uniquinone and Thymosin.
(text message to Steve Dank, male voiceover): "IV start next week. And Thymosin with Uniquinone. We will start some real effects."
CARO MELDRUM-HANNA: It's not clear from the text which form of Thymosin was used, but at least one form, Thymosin Beta-4, is currently banned by ASADA.
Dank told 7.30 that he gave some Essendon players the supplement AOD-9604, marketed as an anti-obesity drug.
Media reports claim that in 2012 Dank showed Essendon a letter from the World Anti-Doping Authority, WADA, stating that AOD-9604 was allowed for use. Meanwhile, WADA denies it gave any such approval.
PETER LARKINS, SPOKESMAN, SPORTS MEDICINE AUSTRALIA: They do not provide letters of approval for products that are not licensed for human use. So the existence of this letter that Dank claims to have is quite a mystery. No-one else has got this letter except Dank and there appears to be no record of it.
CARO MELDRUM-HANNA: Last night, the Seven Network broadcast this statement from Steve Dank:
NEWSNREADER: ... that he received an email from WADA in January, 2012 that anti-obesity drugs had been approved for use.
CARO MELDRUM-HANNA: However, 7.30 has obtained a series of emails between Steve Dank and WADA's manager for research and prohibited listing, Irene Mazzoni. The email showed Dank sought WADA's approval to use AOD-9604 and did not receive it. The first email was sent by Dank to WADA on 2nd February, 2012.
STEVE DANK (male voiceover): "Good evening, Irene. I'm hoping to obtain confirmation on polypeptide. AOD-9604."
WADA's Mazzoni responded:
IRENE MAZZONI (female voiceover): "Dear Steve, as I mentioned during our telephone conversation, you should contact your National Anti-Doping Organisation, in this case (ASADA) ... as certain drug preparations may differ between countries ... Such seems to be the case with AOD-9604."
CARO MELDRUM-HANNA: Importantly, Mazzoni points out that drugs not yet approved for human use are prohibited at all times and that Section zero of the WADA code may apply.
IRENE MAZZONI (female voiceover): "Please be aware that there is a section in the prohibited list, S.0, that deals with non-approved substances. Therefore, even if the substance or similar substances do not appear listed, it does not automatically mean the substance is permitted."
CARO MELDRUM-HANNA: Steve Dank appears to dismiss WADA's advice:
STEVE DANK (male voiceover): "Thankyou for your reply and confirmation that the product or any related product does not appear on the prohibited list."
CARO MELDRUM-HANNA: But according to the emails, that was not what WADA had said. Mazzoni responded, cautioning Dank about AOD-9604.
IRENE MAZZONI (female voiceover): "I could not find that it had been approved by any government regulatory health authority. That's why I say to contact ASADA to check its status in Australia."
CARO MELDRUM-HANNA: In another email exchange obtained by 7.30, Steve Dank also sought clarification from WADA about several other supplements.
STEVE DANK (male voiceover): "I want to confirm that the following products would be permissible for use in the therapeutic treatment of athletes. TFC-Thymomodulin, Thymex-L, Cerebrolysin."
CARO MELDRUM-HANNA: WADA responded:
IRENE MAZZONI (female voiceover): "Dear Steve, Please address your inquiry to ASADA as they will be in a better position to assess medications sold in Australia. WADA only provides information to federations and anti-doping organisations. This is why you must contact them directly."
CARO MELDRUM-HANNA: When 7.30 asked ASADA to explain what communication it had with Steve Dank in 2012 about AOD-9604 and a variety of other supplements, the regulator refused to comment, citing privacy reasons.
ASADA will start interviewing Essendon players next week. The responsibility ultimately ends with them.
PETER LARKINS: The club should be taking absolutely more care, regardless of the sport, about what is banned or not banned. The ultimate responsibility is the athlete - all stops with the athlete. But if an official is involved in compromising the athlete or a doctor is involved in assisting the athlete to take something or a scientist, then they're also involved and subject to WADA sanction.
CARO MELDRUM-HANNA: With speculation that several players could be stood down this year, Essendon's winning streak may be about to come to an abrupt end.
LEIGH SALES: Caro Meldrum-Hanna reporting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back