Irish AFL Players - 2011 Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Zach Tuohy (Carlton) – A bright start to the season in the reserves saw Tuohy elevated from the rookie list and he was named as an emergency for Carlton’s trip to Sydney. Hugely rated by Blues insiders, injuries to Jordan Russell and Jeremy Laidler tonight could see a spot open up for Tuohy in the senior team.
One of the Bullants' best playing on a small forward yesterday.

http://twitter.com/#!/SamLandsberger/status/74805432060887040

Carlton fans get around Zach Tuohy. He's in incredible form, not far away from breaking through. Gives great drive off half-back.

http://twitter.com/#!/SamLandsberger/status/74805432060887040

Reportely played well on Brandon Matera last year too. Considering it was his first year playing AFL, he wasn't disgraced to have three kicked on him by a player as good as Matera. Was stiff to not have two goals on the board in last year's VFL final after he cut through traffic and kicked with ease from 50.

Quadzilla >>>>> Karmichael Hunt. ;) :thumbsu:

Due to Luke Mitchell returning from injury last week, Tuohy had to be placed back on the rookie list. :D

Touhy definitely has a bright future at AFL level. He is at the stage now where he is dominating most VFL games and always seems to be in that 25-30 disposal range.

A great size and athletic build for AFL footy and he is a super kick already. He could easily come into the team now but may have to wait until rd 12 when we can elevate another rookie. The only thing right now if probably just a lack of experience which isn't really holding him back in any way but you need all the experience you can get to make a successful tranisition into the senior ranks.

He is certainly one to watch.

Great thread, good read, appreciate it ty

I love Kennelly at the Swans. When he first arrived, I met him at a fan day and I could barely understand a word he said (lol). Now hes lost abit of it but his mate Chris Mackaige (sorry about spelling), is very very tough to understand.

If you want a laugh click onto Sydney Swans site and see Irish corner. Its abit of fun with the two irish boys testing Swans players in a makeup competition. Its only a small segment but good for a laugh (they laugh at their own stupid antics really). See if you can understand Chris.

When Tadhg Kennelly first came to Sydney he had a personal coach George Stone to teach him all about the game. Is/Was there a personal coach assigned to Hanley?

Not that I am aware of.

I was present at the Sandy/Werribee game last weekend and was very impressed with Walsh.

- He rotated between ruck and full-back
- Didn't lose many one on ones
- Assured kicking (no turnovers)
- Good understanding of the game
- Very aggressive
- Strong: At one point he had a werribee player jump on his back in a tackle. Walsh stood up the entire time.

I would've thought he'd be a chance for the saints in the next few weeks.

I was present at the Sandy/Werribee game last weekend and was very impressed with Walsh.

- He rotated between ruck and full-back
- Didn't lose many one on ones
- Assured kicking (no turnovers)
- Good understanding of the game
- Very aggressive
- Strong: At one point he had a werribee player jump on his back in a tackle. Walsh stood up the entire time.

I would've thought he'd be a chance for the saints in the next few weeks.

Ross has indicated he will play at a senior level this year, perhaps a chance if Lynch and Blake don't come up.

Due to Luke Mitchell returning from injury last week, Tuohy had to be placed back on the rookie list. :D
http://twitter.com/#!/Carlton_FC/status/75823787370754048

Luke Mitchell has been placed on the long term injury list.

http://twitter.com/#!/Carlton_FC/status/75823787370754048

Psych! :(

Tuohy set to make his AFL Debut

[YOUTUBE]9_Ad780Kl_w[/YOUTUBE]

For a Gaelic convert, Tuohy is a beast.

38466_415212308333_108959538333_4516360_6685661_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is the first time two Irishmen will have been teammates since Brian Stynes played his only two games for Melbourne in 1992, alongside brother Jim, the 1991 Brownlow Medallist and current Demons president.

Zach will quickly become a crowd favourite and will add to the much improved defence of Carlton.

Hanley is giving every indication he is going to be an excellent player.

Weevs, in my book Hanley is already an excellent player.

I've liked the look of him since I first saw him play in a Lions ressies game a few years ago.

Runs hard, always competes, has remarkable composure under pressure......and another biggie for me......RARELY FALLS OVER

If you think about all the really good, excellent and "gun" contemporary players, there is one thing they pretty much all have in common....they keep their feet and their balance:footy:

You can never be sure as to how a player adapts from playing second grade football to the premium league, but if Tuohy brings all his weapons with him he'll have an AFL future.

May surprise some as to his fielding kicking which borders on elite. His strength will also surprise his opponents as he has a terrific centre of gravity and won't be brought down in an average tackle. The kid also has enough speed that belies his body shape. Much faster than he looks.

Marking may show up as being an area he really needs to work on but at current rate of progress he'll have that pegged soon enough.

Good luck to Zach and all the boys that take this chance half way across the world

Great to see Tuohy make his debut. Apparently already one of the best and most penetrating kicks in the team. Also solid defensively.

Be interesting to see how quickly he can transition. It's only his second season at the club but he's been in our sights since 2008/2009.

Has come a long way relatively quickly and now takes the kick-outs with the Bullants. Really looking forward to seeing him out there against Port. Only 21, and has been knocking down the door with his consistently good performances in the Bullants this year; strong build and thighs as thick as those of Warren "Wow" Jones. I think they'll be talking about this guy in the media before too long - looks the goods. Sorry to see Mitchell on the long-term injury list, but rather he gets his shoulder fixed properly for next year and at the same time give an opportunity to Zach.

Stoked with the depth we have this year - lot of quality ready-for-promotion players at the Bullants. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Irish AFL Players - 2011 Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Back