Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

It ain't fancy though. It's a staple in S&C programs.

Gen Pop are still following bodybuilding principles and programs of yesteryear, and think that they need to take breaks between sets. A/A or A/P supersetting is still a rest. It's not compound setting the same muscle group.

Folks can also use the time between squats and deads for Hip CARS, contrasts, etc. The additional work builds density, work capacity, and mobility most folks would benefit. You get it in 50 mins as opposed to 90 mins.

I agree, most people in commercial gyms half-arse it from one exercise to another. And circuit training. You only have to look at the guys and girls who do that it's not most effective for muscle growth. Studies have shown it's great for weight loss, but you're not going to get strong or too much growth from it because it's difficult to maintain mechanical tension for all 6-8 exercises and the multiple rounds in a circuit.

I've found I've been able to build muscle from circuit training, like you say it's great for weight loss but once I'd dropped the weight I started to put on muscle. I'm not huge by any means but have put on size and definition. Some of the guys try to get me to do weights after class but I'm not really interested tbh.

I do see some people cutting corners in the circuit training, the biggest one is not sticking to the clock and sort of ambling over to the next set. I try to make sure I follow the timer to the second (unless i can't get up or something ha ha)

Not sure that everyone going to the gym is there just to build muscle though.

Absolutely tee off on time wasters and whatever but its a big leap to assume that people super setting or not super setting or whatever have your goals in mind.

I recall training pretty specifically for OCR stuff (which i represented Australia at an amatuer level in). My gym sessions used to involve about 45 HARD minutes on a treadmill then circuit work. Dude approached me once to let me know whilst i had good aesthetics i would benefit from doing my weights first and dropping the cardio altogether. Obviously not my goal.

Absolutely tee off on time wasters and whatever but its a big leap to assume that people super setting or not super setting or whatever have your goals in mind.

I recall training pretty specifically for OCR stuff (which i represented Australia at an amatuer level in). My gym sessions used to involve about 45 HARD minutes on a treadmill then circuit work. Dude approached me once to let me know whilst i had good aesthetics i would benefit from doing my weights first and dropping the cardio altogether. Obviously not my goal.
i just assume anyone who wants to talk to me while i’m at the gym is a dickhead who’ll give me bad advice. has worked wonders in ignoring said dickheads

my other big pet peeve: people who watch tiktok/listen to music without headphones!
i can guarantee that no one wants to listen to my esoteric metal/ high tempo trance/house music playlists, so why should i be forced to listen to all of the rubbish that others put on!

Yep, its a mantra i go by. Do not offer advice or suggestions to anyone. Even if they ask. Spot, fist bump, support with words of encouragement or nods.

If someone is asking - and you actually have the appropriate knowledge - I think it's fine. Otherwise unless someone is in imminent danger of harm, I'd leave them be.

OCR! I went through a phase doing that! Couldn't handle cleaning all the mud at the end, but I loved those events. Didn't look to go far in reps, but I was fairly handy in it too. Is it still a scene?

i just assume anyone who wants to talk to me while i’m at the gym is a dickhead who’ll give me bad advice. has worked wonders in ignoring said dickheads

If I'm in a commercial gym, I literally walk around the place with a facial expression that I want to kill someone. It's predominantly due to the morbid angel or sodom I'm listening to, but the seas do part for me.

OCR! I went through a phase doing that! Couldn't handle cleaning all the mud at the end, but I loved those events. Didn't look to go far in reps, but I was fairly handy in it too. Is it still a scene?
Think so. I went to Hawaii for the Spartan World Champs and did the two day trifecta and placed pretty well.

Stopped a couple years after that to do something else. Fond memories though.

No doubt. Everyone has different goals. But you can clearly see those who have no idea, or are wasting their time for the effort (or lack of) they're putting in.

Think so. I went to Hawaii for the Spartan World Champs and did the two day trifecta and placed pretty well.

Stopped a couple years after that to do something else. Fond memories though.

Did a few spartans, true grit, raw challenge, etc. There was military one down in Appin here in NSW that was my favourite, but I can't quite remember the name.

The one I never did was Tough Mudder. I liked the short and sharp ones. Tough Mudder struck me as a city to surf type of event. One that everyone did, so I avoided it. Couldn't handle events that had thousands of people.

No doubt. Everyone has different goals. But you can clearly see those who have no idea, or are wasting their time for the effort (or lack of) they're putting in.
They might not have any goals at all, they might just be there to let off some steam or theyd prefer to develop themselves and interjecting will only shattered their confidence.

Theres just no need to impose yourself there (unless as noted theres a risk of injury)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I'm in a commercial gym, I literally walk around the place with a facial expression that I want to kill someone. It's predominantly due to the morbid angel or sodom I'm listening to, but the seas do part for me.
i just have a perma scowl

Did a few spartans, true grit, raw challenge, etc. There was military one down in Appin here in NSW that was my favourite, but I can't quite remember the name.

The one I never did was Tough Mudder. I liked the short and sharp ones. Tough Mudder struck me as a city to surf type of event. One that everyone did, so I avoided it. Couldn't handle events that had thousands of people.
Yeh TM sucked if you wanted to be competitive, too many people at each obstacle youd wind up waiting.

Spartan had some long distance ones, the trifecta in Hawaii was 21km, 14km and 8km over 2 days, was pretty brutal but good fun.

Dude approached me once to let me know whilst i had good aesthetics i would benefit from doing my weights first and dropping the cardio altogether. Obviously not my goal.
I would love the see one of these ole skool gym bros in their natural habitat.

my other big pet peeve: people who watch tiktok/listen to music without headphones!
i can guarantee that no one wants to listen to my esoteric metal/ high tempo trance/house music playlists, so why should i be forced to listen to all of the rubbish that others put on!

Wow ok, I didn't know this shit happened in commercial gyms, I've only ever been in boxing gyms, safe to say i've never seen anyone without headphones while working out.

They might not have any goals at all, they might just be there to let off some steam or theyd prefer to develop themselves and interjecting will only shattered their confidence.

Theres just no need to impose yourself there (unless as noted theres a risk of injury)

I'm not telling people at gym how to work out or they must superset. Original quote was someone who didn't like people super setting and advocated folks should do the traditional x sets of exercise and move on to the next. I'm arguing there are benefits to super setting. What someone does at the gym is ultimately up to them. I'm free to judge them, as they judge me when I'm at a commercial gym doing hammy Iso between sets, nordic curls, hip cars, alternating my exercises, or whatever it is I do, and then get asked why the hell i'm doing it. My objective is predominantly to be athletic. I usually do all that stuff at the footy club, it's stuff the players do so they don't look twice. I still sprint, I still want to be fast, I want to be robust.

Wow ok, I didn't know this shit happened in commercial gyms, I've only ever been in boxing gyms, safe to say i've never seen anyone without headphones while working out.
usually it's younger people (like high school aged) who don't understand why it's annoying

I'm not telling people at gym how to work out or they must superset. Original quote was someone who didn't like people super setting and advocated folks should do the traditional x sets of exercise and move on to the next. I'm arguing there are benefits to super setting. What someone does at the gym is ultimately up to them. I'm free to judge them, as they judge me when I'm at a commercial gym doing hammy Iso between sets, nordic curls, hip cars, alternating my exercises, or whatever it is I do, and then get asked why the hell i'm doing it. My objective is predominantly to be athletic. I usually do all that stuff at the footy club, it's stuff the players do so they don't look twice. I still sprint, I still want to be fast, I want to be robust.
Yeh fair point, i think my initial response was to a bit of a variant of that convo about individual people

The
It ain't fancy though. It's a staple in S&C programs.

Gen Pop are still following bodybuilding principles and programs of yesteryear, and think that they need to take breaks between sets. A/A or A/P supersetting is still a rest. It's not compound setting the same muscle group.

Folks can also use the time between squats and deads for Hip CARS, contrasts, etc. The additional work builds density, work capacity, and mobility most folks would benefit. You get it in 50 mins as opposed to 90 mins.

I agree, most people in commercial gyms half-arse it from one exercise to another. And circuit training. You only have to look at the guys and girls who do that it's not most effective for muscle growth. Studies have shown it's great for weight loss, but you're not going to get strong or too much growth from it because it's difficult to maintain mechanical tension for all 6-8 exercises and the multiple rounds in a circuit.

Yeah what a ridiculous outdated concept...

The only place super setting has for me is if you are strapped for time. But 90% of the time in the gym making things faster for yourself is only making things slower for everyone else. I also dont think its a major priority for most people to get in and out of the gym in the fastest time possible

The

Yeah what a ridiculous outdated concept...

The only place super setting has for me is if you are strapped for time. But 90% of the time in the gym making things faster for yourself is only making things slower for everyone else. I also dont think its a major priority for most people to get in and out of the gym in the fastest time possible
Always was for me, never understood wanting to hang around in the gym for hours on end.

Always was for me, never understood wanting to hang around in the gym for hours on end.

Sure not every single person but the majority of serious gym goers enjoy being there from my experience or at least aren't in a rush to get out ASAP.

Not talking about wanting to hang in their for endless hours for the sake of it but an hour and a half being perfectly fine

Sure not every single person but the majority of serious gym goers enjoy being there from my experience or at least aren't in a rush to get out ASAP.

Not talking about wanting to hang in their for endless hours for the sake of it but an hour and a half being perfectly fine
90 minutes seems an absurdly long time to me but to each their own.

Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back