Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon i probably used to do just over an hour on my long sessions.

20 minute warm up (Treadmill/Boxing/Bike)
30 minute weights session
10 minute warm down

Im sure ive done 90 minutes plus on occassion but it would be rare.

45 minutes the norm too.

Yeah I do maybe 40-50 minutes. Maybe add 5 more warming up.
90 minutes seems an absurdly long time to me but to each their own.
Only exception would for me would be if I could only go twice a week and do full body. I'd really hate that though.

Maybe im wrong and more people are keen to get out ASAP but from my experience most of the serious gym goers I see regularly aren't that concerned with the clock and getting in and out in the quickest time. Still wouldn't advocate for super setting though unless it was empty because if more people are keen to get in and out then you are just holding them up more anyway.

Personally im anywhere from an hour to two hours every session and while I dont rush I definitely dont **** around and talk or waste time

my other big pet peeve: people who watch tiktok/listen to music without headphones!
i can guarantee that no one wants to listen to my esoteric metal/ high tempo trance/house music playlists, so why should i be forced to listen to all of the rubbish that others put on!

Valid point raised. It is a bit odd. i mean you wanna listen to the music, and assumably not listen to anything else so why no headphones or earphones?

If someone is asking - and you actually have the appropriate knowledge - I think it's fine. Otherwise unless someone is in imminent danger of harm, I'd leave them be.

my greatest skillset in the gym is humility. I wont offer advice, not because im a weedy ferker, but cause i dont know his or her goals, gains, background, injuries etc. I am happy for others to provide advice who know what they talkin about.

I reckon i probably used to do just over an hour on my long sessions.

20 minute warm up (Treadmill/Boxing/Bike)
30 minute weights session
10 minute warm down

Im sure ive done 90 minutes plus on occassion but it would be rare.

45 minutes the norm too.

I do 90 minutes sometimes, I hog the absolute shit out the power rack too*, a real dick move.

*the power rack may be located in my garage

Yeah what a ridiculous outdated concept...

The only place super setting has for me is if you are strapped for time. But 90% of the time in the gym making things faster for yourself is only making things slower for everyone else. I also dont think its a major priority for most people to get in and out of the gym in the fastest time possible

It's not necessarily about rushing your workout. It's completing more work in the same period of time, i.e., density.

It's not for everyone. But when the original post I quoted was criticising supersetting, I'll counter that with the approach that's extremely common in sports S&C.

Last edited:
Maybe im wrong and more people are keen to get out ASAP but from my experience most of the serious gym goers I see regularly aren't that concerned with the clock and getting in and out in the quickest time. Still wouldn't advocate for super setting though unless it was empty because if more people are keen to get in and out then you are just holding them up more anyway.

Personally im anywhere from an hour to two hours every session and while I dont rush I definitely dont **** around and talk or waste time
“Serious” gym goers. Not really sure what that even means. I went 6 (sometimes 7) days a week and took it very seriously. I enjoyed the gym I just didn’t wanna spend 90-120 minutes there when I could comfortably do my workout in around half that time.

No judgement on anyone that does, spend your time how you see fit.

I'd speculate that there is also a fair bit of diminishing returns at play with resistance training the more and longer you train.

I like going and doing a lot but have shortened workouts a bit and looking at going less, prioritise quality over quantity going hard and more rest days.

In saying that just do what you like and enjoy even if it's possibly too much, whatever it is it's a million times better than sitting on the couch watching TV covered in Cheezel dust like 90% of the population.

“Serious” gym goers. Not really sure what that even means. I went 6 (sometimes 7) days a week and took it very seriously. I enjoyed the gym I just didn’t wanna spend 90-120 minutes there when I could comfortably do my workout in around half that time.

Its not the length of time you are at the gym but rather the quality of the workout assuming you are also hitting around 10-20 sets per week for each muscle group, if hypertrophy is your goal.
I'd speculate that there is also a fair bit of diminishing returns at play with resistance training the more and longer you train.

I like going and doing a lot but have shortened workouts a bit and looking at going less, prioritise quality over quantity going hard and more rest days.

In saying that just do what you like and enjoy even if it's possibly too much, whatever it is it's a million times better than sitting on the couch watching TV covered in Cheezel dust like 90% of the population.
Definitely its called junk volume and it is actually a contributing factor to the ability to recover from your workout.

I do like the saying “you’re lapping everyone on the couch”, some exercise is better than none at all of course

People who take their gym serious enough to even care about this sort of thing.

I wasn’t saying every single person I was saying the majority from my experience and I also said I may be wrong. But just from what I’ve seen most aren’t concerned with time optimisation imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shouldn’t be diminishing returns at the time frames we are talking though. It’s still only about 4 hard working sets per exercise

Point was also more that super setting even if it’s quicker for you results in things taking longer for other people if you are taking multiple machines

I don't think you understand the S&C concept of supersetting.

Use the same adjustable bench for a chest supported DB incline row after a set of DB Bench Press. Complete standing DB Overhead presses after a set of pullups. Use the same bench for box squats to complete copenhagen iso's. Using the same piece of equipment for the same length of time as someone doing a sets of one exercise, and then resting for 3 mins.

****wits with 3 or 4 different pairs of Dbs for their 'drop sets' is worse. Or as I've written before, getting distracted by the phone during a '2-3 min' rest break on a lat pulldown, that ends up being 5 mins.

I'd rather see someone adding density to their training and taking an extra piece of equipment than sitting on something for 10 minutes, but actively using it for just 3 mins.

Away for work this week so got to try and use the hotel gym. It's a typical one, mainly treadmills and bikes, some kettle bells and medicine balls, no boxing bags or anything of course so I can't do my usual workouts, I'll just try and get whatever I can in. Maybe I'll have some irritating stories to share!

Away for work this week so got to try and use the hotel gym. It's a typical one, mainly treadmills and bikes, some kettle bells and medicine balls, no boxing bags or anything of course so I can't do my usual workouts, I'll just try and get whatever I can in. Maybe I'll have some irritating stories to share!
Is it tiny? I tend to find unless you’re at absolutelt elite 5 star joints hotel gyms are the size of a broom cupboard

Is it tiny? I tend to find unless you’re at absolutelt elite 5 star joints hotel gyms are the size of a broom cupboard
In this scenario, you can always have a light workout or a deload week instead of trying to hit a hotel gym hard. :thumbsu:

U gotta door?

It's quite spacious for a hotel gym, it's a Novotel so it's not elite but good enough.

In this scenario, you can always have a light workout or a deload week instead of trying to hit a hotel gym hard. :thumbsu:

I won't be able to hit it hard but at least get myself moving a bit, throw some kettlebells around etc. Won't do my usual shadowboxing warmup, I'd feel like an absolute w***er ha ha

Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back