Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Cutting phases suck when you get close to a goal. I work my strength up autumn and winter, then see it go down spring on my ‘ready for summer’ cut. This time will leave a bit later to start, as want that 100kg bench and that’s the lift that always tanks the most by a fair amount every cut phase.
I know when I commence my cut phase on Monday, its going to really hurt my bench press. Even if I could just maintain that PB 90kg lift during the cutting phase, I would be so happy.

While I havent been consciously bulking (more like carelessly putting on a few kgs) my lifts have improved overall. Its a very satisfying feeling of lifting more. Not to mention my pull ups/chin ups/dips ie body weight exercises have surprisingly kept the same numbers despite the weight increase, meaning I am pulling more weight overall.

I will be happy if I can hit 100kg next year during the middle of the year.

Staunch old geezer with feet on top of an incline bench, body off end with hands on upright dumbbells to do pushups. Why on earth would you risk injury/falling?! He does it weekly but will go wrong eventually

Last edited:
I've never seen anyone else ever do a single bb ohp in our gym in over 18 months, it's even not that common to see a db ohp either. It's all isolation side raises.

Do people not realise how effective they are in building shoulders and pure functional strength?

They're one of those exercises that you can't move a heap of weight (relative to say a bench press) without putting a tonne of work in, they're pretty taxing, and no one ever goes 'how much do you overhead press bro'.

Meanwhile being able to OHP bulk weight is pretty useful for life given the level of core bracing and raw strength needed. Seeing those strongman athletes putting up close to 200kg overhead is pretty awe inspiring. Moreso than a big bench IMO.

Staunch old geezer with feet on top of an incline bench, body off end with hands on upright dumbbells to do pushups. Why on earth would you risk injury/falling?! He does it weekly but will go wrong eventually
🤨. That's weird

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a HIIT gym up the road from my gym, I drive past it every morning at 5:58. The HIIT goers seem to stroll over the road without a care in the world, of course it's dark so I really have to be on the lookout, have had to slam the brakes on once to avoid hitting some oblivious young lady.

Some of my other gym mates have noticed the same thing as well, not just me.

Was thinking of going in and asking them to speak to the class to be careful, I don't want to be a Karen or anything but it's dangerous, maybe I send the PT place a FB message? Or maybe I just send our head trainer down, he looks way scarier than me ha ha

There's a HIIT gym up the road from my gym, I drive past it every morning at 5:58. The HIIT goers seem to stroll over the road without a care in the world, of course it's dark so I really have to be on the lookout, have had to slam the brakes on once to avoid hitting some oblivious young lady.

Some of my other gym mates have noticed the same thing as well, not just me.

Was thinking of going in and asking them to speak to the class to be careful, I don't want to be a Karen or anything but it's dangerous, maybe I send the PT place a FB message? Or maybe I just send our head trainer down, he looks way scarier than me ha ha
Oldmancloud.jpg

i think i'm starting to legitimately resent the dicks who occupy 2-3 machines at once. i'm trying to get home before 6pm and some prick is taking up all machines i use consistently! not happy.

also people watching tiktok without headphones on. if i hear that ****ing AI voice once more this week i might actually lose it

This was how tired I was on Friday night, did 3 sets of Arnold press and only when I racked the weights realised one was 15 and the other only 12.5 haha.
Matthew Broderick GIF

This was how tired I was on Friday night, did 3 sets of Arnold press and only when I racked the weights realised one was 15 and the other only 12.5 haha.
Ive done this occasionally too. Its annoying also because, then I think to myself, do I count that as a set or should I do it again properly?

I presume the 15 was used on your stronger arm and the 12.5 on the weaker, which maybe why you didnt notice the difference?

Ive done this occasionally too. Its annoying also because, then I think to myself, do I count that as a set or should I do it again properly?

I presume the 15 was used on your stronger arm and the 12.5 on the weaker, which maybe why you didnt notice the difference?
Nah the 15 was on the slightly weaker arm. Noticed it was harder but not so much as knowing the weight was wrong so might be pretty balanced in strength now.

Perth bodybuilder fighting for life after he collapsed in a gym shower and wasn't found until 15 hours later​

Seeing the interest in my post, here is the follow up. He died. :oops:

He had gone to the gym before work and was not discovered until later that night when police barged in and found him on the floor of a cold-running shower.

He had been on life support at Joondalup hospital for two weeks, but tragically died on Thursday morning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back