Is Buddy Franklin the most overrated forward in the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

The OP had been banging on that no Hawk support had challenged him on his post thread, so I just did.

Technically speaking, maybe. But in actuality, no. No challenge.

Here's what I mostly saw there...

emXkI.gif

Seriously hyping up Franklin to the point of elevating him above players like Garry Lyon, Jim Stynes or Robbie Flower... that is pure comedy
vknp9.gif

PS- People go blind doing that... no, wait :eek:

1. Buddy is not the most overrated forward in the AFL.

Cyril?

2. In my lifetime which is a long time, Buddy is better than any Melbourne player I've seen. Their 3 best are Roll it on Robbie, Stynes & Lyon; and all 3 would (have in Jimmy's case) completely agree.

May or may not be true, how much higher will determine the overrating.

4. I thought Buddy's game last Friday for a 6 foot 6 key forward was outstanding, in what I thought was overall a pretty ordinary performance.

what happened to 3. ?

he's a key forward now? You Hawks supporters need to get together.

5. His kicking for goal is very frustrating this year to date and did cost us dearly in round 2.

His kicking is not overrated.

6. Leigh Matthews constantly states that Buddy is the most exciting player he's ever seen, and he's seen a shit load.

Exciting in that anything can happen

And the sealer on the debate is that every fellow bay 13'er supporting the other 17 teams would gladly give up anyone on their senior list to get him, and I do mean anyone.

the sealer is you overrating him? :eek:

Ablett anyday.

He is a human dynamo, and possibly the greatest match winner, and crowd puller that I've ever seen.

I thought you said you were old?

Buddy is better than Garry Lyon

lBaRu.jpg

The same Lyon who was rated below only Dunstall and Kernahan during his career. All-Australian three years running, State of Origin selection two years in a row.

My arse.

Let me know when Franklin kicks 10 in a semi-final, for instance.

Shit, just let me know when he ever manages that in any game. The only double figures he's ever seen are in botched shots :eek:

This thread just proves itself more and more as it goes!

Ablett anyday.

I thought you said you were old?

Ablett can have a big day out as he did in 08 GF, and his team can still get beaten easily. If Buddy has a big day out, we cant lose.

I am old, and I said possibly.
Prior to Buddy, the biggest match winners/ excitement machines I've seen were the Duck and Gaz senior. Considering his age, he's definitely on track to equal or maybe surpass them.

Just so you're aware, Lethal is the greatest player I've seen, but fits more into the Gaz jnr side of things. Could have a great day out and we lost, but very ****ing rarely.

Ablett can have a big day out as he did in 08 GF, and his team can still get beaten easily. If Buddy has a big day out, we cant lose.

I am old, and I said possibly.
Prior to Buddy, the biggest match winners/ excitement machines I've seen were the Duck and Gaz senior. Considering his age, he's definitely on track to equal or maybe surpass them.

Just so you're aware, Lethal is the greatest player I've seen, but fits more into the Gaz jnr side of things. Could have a great day out and we lost, but very ****ing rarely.

I thought you were better than this.....Looks like i was wrong about you.:eek:

lBaRu.jpg

The same Lyon who was rated below only Dunstall and Kernahan during his career. All-Australian three years running, State of Origin selection two years in a row.

My arse.

Shit, just let me know when he ever manages that in any game. The only double figures he's ever seen are in botched shots :eek:

So what About Ablett and Lockett? Both had Lyon's measure comfortably.

lBaRu.jpg

My arse.

We forget how good players were as the years go on.
Gaddy Lyon was a cracker of a player, in his hey day he was the safest set shot in the game.

This thread proves jack shit.

There are 2 sides to that coin.

Why would I do that? Your full-forward's the one with the questionable marking ability, who can't kick straight to save his life. Literally.

No way we'd trade Clark for Franklin.

Probably why your club finds itself in the massive pile of shit that it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, it's why we were merely thrashed by you, instead of ending up so dire that we descended to the depths plumbed by Port when they played you last year.

Geez... our service inside 50 has been bad enough. The last thing we need is to get it in there only to have a full-forward who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a bazooka :eek:

Clark would have kicked seven or more with the service Franklin had that night. Of that, I am certain.

Come to think of it, Franklin hasn't even managed seven against us in his entire career. Even in that Round 1 game in 2008 when we dropped our strides and gave you the nod from the opening whistle.

The fact that in a team with the lowest inside-50s in the comp, 14/game below Hawthorn in that area, he is still barely behind Franklin in the goalkicking, says it all about this comparison.

So yes, I would infinitely rather have Clark at full-forward.

There's two ****ing sides to every coin. What's your point.

On the other side of the coin is the opposite of a big day out.

Ablett's consistency of performance is miles in front of the shankmeister.

on the total amount of goals kicked - Buddy is listed at #2 with accuracy of 38%.

Crameri is #4 with 54% accuracy, and Mitch Clark Is #7 with 63% Accuracy.

Now you may think hahaha #7, but lets break it down.

#1, Taylor Walker - 23goals - 61% Accuracy
#2, Lance Franklin - 19goals - 38% Accuracy
#3, Tom Hawkins - 19goals - 66% Accuracy
#4, Stewart Crameri - 19goals - 54% Accuracy
#5, James podsiadly - 17goals - 81% Accuracy
#6, Travis Cloke - 17goals - 68% Accuracy
#7, Mitch Clark - 17goals - 63% Accuracy
#8, Aaron Edwards - 16goals - 76% Accuracy
#9, Eddie Betts - 16goals - 57% Accuracy
#10, Jack Riewoldt - 16goals - 47% Accuracy

So the top 10 are pretty damn close - with the exception of #1.

on the total amount of goals kicked - Buddy is listed at #2 with accuracy of 38%.

Crameri is #4 with 54% accuracy, and Mitch Clark Is #7 with 63% Accuracy.

Now you may think hahaha #7, but lets break it down.

#1, Taylor Walker - 23goals - 61% Accuracy
#2, Lance Franklin - 19goals - 38% Accuracy
#3, Tom Hawkins - 19goals - 66% Accuracy
#4, Stewart Crameri - 19goals - 54% Accuracy
#5, James podsiadly - 17goals - 81% Accuracy
#6, Travis Cloke - 17goals - 68% Accuracy
#7, Mitch Clark - 17goals - 63% Accuracy
#8, Aaron Edwards - 16goals - 76% Accuracy
#9, Eddie Betts - 16goals - 57% Accuracy
#10, Jack Riewoldt - 16goals - 47% Accuracy

So the top 10 are pretty damn close - with the exception of #1.

8 goals 17 from set shots. FFS Lance, pull your finger out and you'll be weighed down with medals.

Again, you've got to love this kind of timing. And this brand of bumpage too...

Rri9N.gif

Buddy Hacklin is not a true power forward. He is a really tall version of Rilio with elite endurance. Hell you can argue he's been figured out purely as a forward since 08 even though admittedly the game changes from year to year with 08 being the last season of individual traditional forwards dominating games compared to the even spread of goal kickers these days ..

He's also selfish, can't kick for goal and quite easily gets shut down with the right match up.

Wayne Carey, now that is a true superstar

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Buddy Franklin the most overrated forward in the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back