Is Firrito really crap?

Remove this Banner Ad

He isnt that great. He is one of those players that will get found out as he gets older. Has 0 skill but plays it hard. Probably isnt going to get any better than he was this year. The pace of the game will cause him a lot of problems in the next couple of years.

Then how come he is the one breaking lines through halfback/the guts away from opposition forwards and creating opportunities? 0 skill? Watch some football.

Carroll had something like the 3rd least goals kicked on him of all the full backs in 05 and he's a superstar, ain't he?

Firrito looks good and that stat isn' the be all and end all. I still think that he'd benefit though with another tall defender to take the powerhouse full forwards. That'd allow him to run off his opponent a bit more without being killed as much the other way. That's how Scarlett can do so much running (despite being a gun player) because Egan, Milburn and Harley etc are always back to help plug any holes.

Did a great job this year considering he was throne down at there after Hay left. And that his real height is about 186cm. I'd like his to play HBF in a Milburn type of role. Is good enough to make AA one day if not played out of position. Not crap!

Only reason he's had so many kicked on him is that in other teams when an opposition player is kicking bags the coach rotates defenders through them. with hay retiring north was a key defender short, and in many cases firrito was left on players obviously bigger than him.

he towelled up some good players though, pav being one.

Carroll had something like the 3rd least goals kicked on him of all the full backs in 05 and he's a superstar, ain't he?

Firrito looks good and that stat isn' the be all and end all. I still think that he'd benefit though with another tall defender to take the powerhouse full forwards. That'd allow him to run off his opponent a bit more without being killed as much the other way. That's how Scarlett can do so much running (despite being a gun player) because Egan, Milburn and Harley etc are always back to help plug any holes.

next year he will be much better. Petrie will move to defence, and Firrito will be able to go on the 2nd best/3rd best forward and run off them. He was hindered by the fact that Petrie had to be played up forward and Gibson was out injured. And if Lachlan Hansen can develop into holding down a key defensive post, things look promising.

Isnt a fullback, wait until he moves into the midfield.

Will be as good as a Mitchell or Goodwin.

190cm and 96kg... How does that compare to Mitchell who is 179cm and 85kg or Goodwin who is 185cm and 86kg.

That is the worst comparison ever :p

Firrito probably doesn't have the motor to play full-time in the midfield yet. At least you know that he's a good utility player who can do a decent job out of his desired position.

I got the opinion that he was a pretty decent defender, obviously not incredibly gifted but tried his hardest and did pretty well. Then I read that he had the most goals kicked on him of any defender this year. Am I just watching the wrong games?

Like all the Kangaroos players they are crap but they make up for it in effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like all the Kangaroos players they are crap but they make up for it in effort.

how can they make up for it in effort if theyre crap and have no skill? the effort they put in counts for nothing, if theres no skill involved. how could a 'crap' team make top 4. oh fluke right?

firrito isnt a natural full back so i dont expect too much from him, does a good job though.

Firrito > Roughead.

Geez, for a guy selected so high in the draft, surely you'd want him to be able to do...something! Spud was a rookie, and is 10X the player Roughead will ever be. How embarrasing. :eek:

You're wrong, but that's not to be unexpected. So don't worry yourself over it.

Firrito is OK, promised a bit this year but still lacks the polish of a good player. Found out this year by having the most goals kicked on him despite playing in a top 4 team, but as said before he is not a defender.
He may well be good in the coming years; he has shown glimpses. For now however, he is an average AFL player.

Full credit to him.

How many players in the history of the AFL have gone from being a servicable midfielder to a servicable full back. Can't think of any.

Came up through the VFL too.

You cant knock him.

Was a dynamo at Box Hill as a rebounding back flanker, and that's where I believe he'll end up long term.

You're wrong, but that's not to be unexpected. So don't worry yourself over it.

No, he actually isn't. You're wrong. Firrito is a better footballer than Roughhead; has shown more, has done more for the team - even when he has been played out of position due to necessity. Roughhead can't give the Hawks value for money playing in the position he was meant for, let alone filling in somewhere else like Firrito did this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Firrito really crap?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back