Is Gary Rohan the worst finals player of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the best finals games I have seen, a real heartstopper. Rohan was huge when it mattered this evening vs Collingwood. The barrel was great and then late in the game he fumbled it but stayed with it and got the winning goal assist to Max Holmes. I still remember last year in the semi vs the Giants, Holmes had a horror miss and for sure he was not going to make the same mistake again. The win that Geelong needed, but their work is not done yet, two more wins and nobody is going to be easy to beat. But with effort comes reward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Rohan.... sensational way to answer.

From memory he had a couple of good finals with the Swans and a bunch of anonymous ones, but focussing on time with the Cats:

-9 finals (4 with reduced quarters, so let's say 8)
-9 goals
-4 assists

Forwards at the Cats have struggled in that time frame where cats won 4, lost 5.

Unlucky not to get a couple more assists tonight when the bloke on the end of the chain failed.

Is his finals record great, even as a third tall? No. Is it thaaaat much poorer than his home and away career, where he plays in bursts and disappears for large periods? Probably not.

Big if, but if he backs this up with another good final or two his Geelong record isn't terrible.

From memory he had a couple of good finals with the Swans and a bunch of anonymous ones, but focussing on time with the Cats:

-9 finals (4 with reduced quarters, so let's say 8)
-9 goals
-4 assists

Forwards at the Cats have struggled in that time frame where cats won 4, lost 5.

Unlucky not to get a couple more assists tonight when the bloke on the end of the chain failed.

Is his finals record great, even as a third tall? No. Is it thaaaat much poorer than his home and away career, where he plays in bursts and disappears for large periods? Probably not.

Big if, but if he backs this up with another good final or two his Geelong record isn't terrible.

Just looking back through his last 6 years, in his last 11 finals I’d say he’s had 4 ‘good’ games where he’s had, by his standards, a reasonable amount of ball, multiple goals and an assist here and there.

For a player who even in home and away footy is quite hit and miss, it’s not THAT bad a ratio. Another good game and you’d just about give him a pass mark. His biggest problem is that some of his worst games are absolutely ordinary. He doesn’t manage to keep the idea of ‘don’t make a bad day a really bad day.’

Just looking back through his last 6 years, in his last 11 finals I’d say he’s had 4 ‘good’ games where he’s had, by his standards, a reasonable amount of ball, multiple goals and an assist here and there.

For a player who even in home and away footy is quite hit and miss, it’s not THAT bad a ratio. Another good game and you’d just about give him a pass mark. His biggest problem is that some of his worst games are absolutely ordinary. He doesn’t manage to keep the idea of ‘don’t make a bad day a really bad day.’

The frustrating thing about Rohan is that he is a really good mark, he is a really good kick, he is fast and ball in hand a good decision maker. He has all the tools he needs to be a great player and would have more natural talent than 90% of AFL players. The problem is that he doesn't have that part of his football brain he needs to get into spots to get the ball more. If he averaged 20 disposals a game instead of 9 he would be one of the most damaging players in the competition.

The frustrating thing about Rohan is that he is a really good mark, he is a really good kick, he is fast and ball in hand a good decision maker. He has all the tools he needs to be a great player and would have more natural talent than 90% of AFL players. The problem is that he doesn't have that part of his football brain he needs to get into spots to get the ball more. If he averaged 20 disposals a game instead of 9 he would be one of the most damaging players in the competition.

Agreed. I don’t think he could be accused of not putting in, he runs his Arse off every game he just doesn’t have the natural game sense of a lot of people

He was fantastic, hats off to him. Wonder how Wilson and co will address the coach now….

While obviously the outcome of it was not what you would have liked as a pies fan I thought that last passage of play before the Holmes goal encapsulated the spirit of the match perfectly.

Sidebottom and Rohan absolutely busting their guts to get to that ball with every skerrick of energy they had left and then a skill error brought on by fatigue and pressure only for a bounce of the ball to favour one team.

Rohan and no doubt Sidebottom (the camera didn’t really pan to him) was utterly spent at the end of that passage and I felt exhausted just watching it

While obviously the outcome of it was not what you would have liked as a pies fan I thought that last passage of play before the Holmes goal encapsulated the spirit of the match perfectly.

Sidebottom and Rohan absolutely busting their guts to get to that ball with every skerrick of energy they had left and then a skill error brought on by fatigue and pressure only for a bounce of the ball to favour one team.

Rohan and no doubt Sidebottom (the camera didn’t really pan to him) was utterly spent at the end of that passage and I felt exhausted just watching it
Couldn’t agree more. It was a gripping game to watch as a supporter and I imagine most neutrals enjoyed it too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Gary Rohan the worst finals player of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back