Is Gerard Whateley a pinhead or an intellectual?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewy

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 16, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have a look these pictures and tell me there is no resemblance -

0.jpg

gerard_wha_m1440149.JPG

pip.jpg

He does say some stupid things that make you wonder if his misshapen head has impacted on the development of his brain. Maybe it's something they put in the Geelong water.

Earlier this season, when Mark Maclure claimed Hawthorn were chokers, Whateley closed the discussion by saying, "They're just not that good."

Good one, nerd.

In his defence, he had the smarts to appear on a TV show with Mark Robinson, the biggest buffoon in television history. Alongside that rambling idiot, he just needs to sit there, say nothing and people will assume he is Stephen Hawking's bother.

200px-Stephen_Hawking.StarChild.jpg

Intellectual genius.

I can see the resemblance there as well. Similar posture, tilt of the head and wastage of the muscle tissue

So I'm in two minds. Is he a cretin or is he a dork?

I think he was the sort of kid who was fascinated by statistics, probably cricket etc , he could probably tell you off the top of his head who won the 1927 Melbourne Cup, the GF score in 1893 and Don Bradmans tour statistics from the 1932 Ashes tour in England.

Intelletual pinhead IMO.

• Banned
I've just finished watching a replay of last night's game and Foxtel's review which followed.

Whateley just said "Cam Cloke had a good couple of weeks leading in."

Strange.

I thought Travis Cloke was pretty ordinary last week when he got just 9 possessions and kicked 0 goals.

This guy gets paid to comment on football?

He always tries to mention Geelong. As biased as they come.

Mentions a few key phrases such as 'body of work', 'case study', etc to come over as a student of the game. Also raises his voice to build up a situation, the fact that he is seen as an industry leader highlights how poor the media are now.

He always tries to mention Geelong. As biased as they come.

Mentions a few key phrases such as 'body of work', 'case study', etc to come over as a student of the game. Also raises his voice to build up a situation, the fact that he is seen as an industry leader highlights how poor the media are now.

He seems a bit pompous and self-righteous at times but he does know his stuff. Good journo.

Just wish he would speak normally. Had enough of the pointsssssssssssss & Catssssssssssssssss etc.

I think if you watch him on offsiders you won't judge him so harshly. Generally adds a point of view which others probably won't and its not like he pushes an agenda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching 360 earlier in the year he was becoming tiresome but after watching Huddo (usually a good commentator) on 360, I have found Whateley more watchable. I think he sometimes over analysing things and sometimes he appears to be playing safe.

Watching 360 earlier in the year he was becoming tiresome but after watching Huddo (usually a good commentator) on 360, I have found Whateley more watchable. I think he sometimes over analysing things and sometimes he appears to be playing safe.
That is a plus in the modern media sensationalism particularly in sports journalism is a joke - robbo will look to incite something and then you have the 'I don't mean it like that'/'I'm not saying that'/'but'... huddo is a host he doesn't really have an idea he poses questions and empty space is left to be filled by the rest of the team. 360 is a good concept and once a week it was working but really the game isn't quite big enough to carry a weeks worth of news, unless something dramatic has happened on the 'afl landscape'. Unless more viewpoints are considered you probably need additional panelists or you return call back ala white line fever.

Has few if any peers in the modern football media. I don't always agree with everything he says but with Gerard at least I know his opinion is intelligent and considered and that is something I cannot say about the vast majority of 'analysts' or commentators in the game today.

In an industry full of Brian Taylor's and Luke Darcy's thank God for Gerard Whateley (and Anthony Hudson).

Takes himself too seriously. Always looking to analyse everything.

It's almost as if he's on a show that is all about analysing football from an on-field and media perspective!

I'm also frequently disturbed by the fact Gerard Healy spends so much time acting like he's the host or something when he's doing OTC!

tries to be too rational at times and sometimes his geelong bias shows through a bit.

but i prefer him over most.

Has few if any peers in the modern football media. I don't always agree with everything he says but with Gerard at least I know his opinion is intelligent and considered and that is something I cannot say about the vast majority of 'analysts' or commentators in the game today.

In an industry full of Brian Taylor's and Luke Darcy's thank God for Gerard Whateley (and Anthony Hudson).
Bloody Oath!:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back