Is it okay to use someone else's bin?

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate littering, so I wouldn't have a problem with someone putting their rubbish in my bin if it meant it ended up in the right place instead of being strewn about the countryside. As long as it wasn't something really offensive like a pooey nappy or prawn shells or the like. And I would prefer it if they checked with me first if possible. My bin is rarely ever full; I'm lucky to have one bag of rubbish a week and I have kids'. We recycle and compost everything humanly possible, though.

A few months back some guy tried to get into a heated argument with me because I put a plastic bag full of rubbish from my car in his work skip.

Just laughed at the dude and shook my head.

Some people take their rubbish seriously.

I think general consensus in here is "so what". As long as the rubbish is tied up and sealed.

If someone dumped unsealed rubbish then that would be a different story, I was told that rubbish used to be in green bags on the side of the road outside your house.

Play on..........:thumbsu:

Yep. Though when in a house of four sharing I was always to do the one of doing the bin monitoring of the neighbours bins that night for the one who had the spare room to still shut the lid fully.

The other 3 objected to do it themselves and laugh at me for it but the bag had to find a home somewhere.

I use my neighbours' bins occasionally when it comes to garbage night and I have an extra bag, but I always feel a bit furtive when I do. Which is weird because I wouldn't have any problem with them using mine.

That said, one morning I did come out to find that someone had put a large bag of rubbish into my bin, which stopped the lid closing. Because the bin was 'overfull' the garbos declined to empty it. That pissed me off a bit.

If it's out on the curb and not yet collected, it's okay because it doesn't affect the bin owner.

It's not okay if:
1. the bin's out on the curb and has already been collected, I.e. it's the next morning and the bin hasn't been brought in yet
2. the bin's not even out, I.e. it's in your garage, sitting near your front/side spot wherever you put it

I had a neighbour put their lawn clippings and rubbish into my bins after it was collected (this happened a couple of times), so I'd just tip it out on their lawn and take my bins back in. They learned pretty quickly not to do it. Yeah they've would've thought I was an arseh*le but the feeling was mutual. I needed that space for myself :D

Our neighbours have two young kids and their bins are always overflowing - our garbage collection people are pretty cool though. Last week my neighbour was waiting for them, then after they emptied theirs, she added a few more bags and took the bin to the other side of the road and they emptied that for her on their way back and had a laugh about it. We've told them to use our (nearly always half empty) bins!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's out on the curb and not yet collected, it's okay because it doesn't affect the bin owner.

It's not okay if:
1. the bin's out on the curb and has already been collected, I.e. it's the next morning and the bin hasn't been brought in yet
2. the bin's not even out, I.e. it's in your garage, sitting near your front/side spot wherever you put it

I had a neighbour put their lawn clippings and rubbish into my bins after it was collected (this happened a couple of times), so I'd just tip it out on their lawn and take my bins back in. They learned pretty quickly not to do it. Yeah they've would've thought I was an arseh*le but the feeling was mutual. I needed that space for myself :D
I think it depends on how soon the truck is coming as well. If your garbologist normally comes late in the day, I think it would be wrong to take the last bit of space in their bin. They may still have more rubbish to put in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it okay to use someone else's bin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back