Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then after everything, the AFL in its wisdom throws this fixture at us. If this fixture had been assigned to Hawthorn the Victorian media would be jumping at them for going too far, but, hey, let's throw this at the Lions, noone will complain about that, even if they'd only avoided the wooden spoon on percentage the year before. First six rounds, five against this year's finalists. Three of the hardest road trips in the competition (West Coast at Subiaco, Geelong at Kardinia, Bullies at Etihad). Absolute coach-killer, a fact 100% obvious to anyone not clinically brain-dead who considered that fixture for a moment. Apparently none of them work for the league.

Still, we win that one game against a non-finalist and put in some surprisingly competitive (or at least high-scoring) efforts in a few of the others. Follow that up with another tough road trip to Adelaide Oval - still the closest match of our undistinguished history at that ground - and heads start to drop. Injuries start to accumulate. And it all just starts to fall apart.

It's not always acknowledged, but there's certainly been progression under Leppitsch. Andrews and Hipwood have come on amazingly rapidly given their body shapes. McStay's far from accountable yet but he's transitioned from the forward line to a defender who produces a some staggering 1%ers. He's got a long way to go yet but that's the rule with 21-year-old KPPs, not the exception. Cutlet has been a revelation. Robbo has gone from a Carlton cast-off to a star. Bewick has finally started putting decent games together in a row. Zorko has been getting better year-on-year. Bundy's discovered his potential to rebound from defense. Players like McGrath, Beams Jr and Clarke all showed development before being crueled by injuries.

There've been regressions, too, certainly, especially in this trainwreck of a year. And our playstyle has some pretty big deficiencies - but we've improved it too, even as our number of fit players - and our spirits - have fallen away. We leak scores, sure, massive amounts thereof, but not so much over the top, for example. Players have transitioned into new roles to fill the gaps and succeeded there.

Leppitsch may not survive this year. The numbers may well get him. Indeed the numbers are pretty much unbackable favourites at this point. But still, I think our list now is a fair bit closer to a flag than the list Leppa started with, and he does deserve a decent portion of the credit for that. Even if he's not the one to finish it off.

AFL great Leigh Matthews believes there is no point persisting with two teams in Queensland.

Matthews coached Brisbane to three consecutive premierships and is currently the deputy chairman at the Lions.

He was sceptical when Gold Coast joined the league in 2011 and reiterated his view on Monday night that there is not enough demand to warrant two sides in southeast Queensland.

"I thought that from the very beginning," Matthews told the Seven Network.

"Nothing will change that. The Suns might win premierships, that's not the issue.

"I don't think there is a demand for two teams in this part of the world."

The Suns and Lions have struggled in recent years, both on and off the field.

Recent crowds have been modest at the Gabba and Carrara.

The Suns have crashed after a bright start to the season, while fellow expansion side Greater Western Sydney is on track to achieve their maiden finals berth.

The Lions have enjoyed one win this year, over Gold Coast.

Matthews doubted whether the league would seriously look at changing the status quo.

"The people who made that decision are still running the AFL," he said.

"While those people are running the AFL, I don't think anytime soon will there not be two teams in southeast Queensland."

Suns chairman hits back
But Suns chairman Tony Cochrane has hit back, saying Matthews' criticism lacked common sense and ignored the increase in both broadcast earnings and junior participation that the AFL's frontier expansion efforts have generated.

"Firstly it's a stupid proposition because what it doesn't do is take into account the long term view of the development of AFL right across our country," he told the ABC.

"Anybody who thinks you can develop a sport in a market in three to five years is kidding themselves. Don't get into this ridiculous concept that the Gold Coast isn't a big enough market.

"If that's true can somebody explain to me how the Green Bay Packers in North America, the smallest TV market in North America - a town of maybe a 120,000 people - have one of the most successful NFL sides.

"It's another typical comment from somebody in Brisbane having an in inverted crack at the Gold Coast."

He urged Suns fans to show their numbers and support the club as it whethers a barren spell in the AFL.

"Brisbane loves the Gold Coast because they've got nowhere decent to go to a beach. We understand they've got to come down here and use our facilities when they want to have a bit of time away," Cochrane said.

"The Gold Coast can more than handle itself, can more than stand on its own two legs and what the Gold Coast Football Club needs is for Gold Coasters to get out and support us.

"We're doing it tough, we freely admit that, we've been smashed at the moment with injuries again and we're struggling."

ANY REGRETS Matthews!?....

I think Leigh has lost it TBH. We need to get him off the board ASAP.

I am not 100% sure he has lost it, but I am 100% sure a guy who works in the media as much as he does and travels between Brisbane and Melbourne as much as he does can't hold such a position of power at the club.

AFL great Leigh Matthews believes there is no point persisting with two teams in Queensland.

Matthews coached Brisbane to three consecutive premierships and is currently the deputy chairman at the Lions.

He was sceptical when Gold Coast joined the league in 2011 and reiterated his view on Monday night that there is not enough demand to warrant two sides in southeast Queensland.

"I thought that from the very beginning," Matthews told the Seven Network.

"Nothing will change that. The Suns might win premierships, that's not the issue.

"I don't think there is a demand for two teams in this part of the world."

The Suns and Lions have struggled in recent years, both on and off the field.

Recent crowds have been modest at the Gabba and Carrara.

The Suns have crashed after a bright start to the season, while fellow expansion side Greater Western Sydney is on track to achieve their maiden finals berth.

The Lions have enjoyed one win this year, over Gold Coast.

Matthews doubted whether the league would seriously look at changing the status quo.

"The people who made that decision are still running the AFL," he said.

"While those people are running the AFL, I don't think anytime soon will there not be two teams in southeast Queensland."

Suns chairman hits back
But Suns chairman Tony Cochrane has hit back, saying Matthews' criticism lacked common sense and ignored the increase in both broadcast earnings and junior participation that the AFL's frontier expansion efforts have generated.

"Firstly it's a stupid proposition because what it doesn't do is take into account the long term view of the development of AFL right across our country," he told the ABC.

"Anybody who thinks you can develop a sport in a market in three to five years is kidding themselves. Don't get into this ridiculous concept that the Gold Coast isn't a big enough market.

"If that's true can somebody explain to me how the Green Bay Packers in North America, the smallest TV market in North America - a town of maybe a 120,000 people - have one of the most successful NFL sides.

"It's another typical comment from somebody in Brisbane having an in inverted crack at the Gold Coast."

He urged Suns fans to show their numbers and support the club as it whethers a barren spell in the AFL.

"Brisbane loves the Gold Coast because they've got nowhere decent to go to a beach. We understand they've got to come down here and use our facilities when they want to have a bit of time away," Cochrane said.

"The Gold Coast can more than handle itself, can more than stand on its own two legs and what the Gold Coast Football Club needs is for Gold Coasters to get out and support us.

"We're doing it tough, we freely admit that, we've been smashed at the moment with injuries again and we're struggling."

ANY REGRETS Matthews!?....

Really dude, we're clearly going through shit as a football club and you think now is the time to troll? Grow up.

I am not 100% sure he has lost it, but I am 100% sure a guy who works in the media as much as he does and travels between Brisbane and Melbourne as much as he does can't hold such a position of power at the club.

Bitten of a bit more than he can chew IMO. Plus he's watching one of his favourites in Leppa get destroyed has to be depressing. He seems very eager to pick a fight with the AFL too.

Bitten of a bit more than he can chew IMO. Plus he's watching one of his favourites in Leppa get destroyed has to be depressing. He seems very eager to pick a fight with the AFL too.

Yeah, agree.

He also seems to only pick a fight when it's in the best interests of channel 7 or 3AW.

Love or hate Eddie, whenever he picks a fight or has an opinion it's always in the Magpies best interests.

Yeah, agree.

He also seems to only pick a fight when it's in the best interests of channel 7 or 3AW.

Love or hate Eddie, whenever he picks a fight or has an opinion it's always in the Magpies best interests.

Yes!! He hasn't really gone into bat for us as much as I'd have liked.

Blatant trolling given the comment on the last line. Has been warned, would want to be very careful posting anything else on here
They don't realise who they're messin' with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not. Someone like him is exactly who you want on the board.

The one thing that makes no sense, if things are that bad why are we seeing the re-signings that we are?
Is it because they wouldn't get a game anywhere else?

The one thing that makes no sense, if things are that bad why are we seeing the re-signings that we are?

I guess it could be a few things

1. The Lamberts are doing a great job of fostering a positive nurturing environment within the club despite other factors
2. Brisbane's actually a pretty good place to live really, lots to offer with the Sunshine coast, GC, state forests and a pretty relaxed lifestyle, not to mention not freezing in the middle of winter
3. Despite how shit we are we still have to pay our players 95% of what Hawthorn pay theirs meaning there would be very few guys who would be getting offers above what we can pay them.

its probably a combo of the above

Or that everyone knows where we are at and what we are building towards and knows that the future is not as bad as what the media (and a lesser extent our supporters) are beating it up to be.

We had more players wanting to leave during the voss years and we have essentially re-signed everyone... there has to be something more to it in the backend that we are just not seeing or understanding.

The players might be committed to each other and know as well as anyone a new coach / system / dawn is on the horizon.

I am not saying it isn't a massive tick for Leppa, the amount of re-signing we have had, because it is - it is the biggest indicator he is actually on track.

Just realititcally - they may be committed / have made a pact with each other.. 'to stick to gather as a group' but may view the coach as expendable in the process, as their commitment on paper to the Club, is not matching their commitment on the field.

The fake efforts, flailing around, letting players past, hands on hip attitude last Saturday night screamed 'we have given up' and whether intentional or not, as said on 360, it will be remembered as the same game in 2015 (can't remember which one, a big flogging) that saw Jame Hirds time at Essendon come to an end.. they stamped Leppas papers last week.

Do you REALLY think our list is that bad?
No I actually think our list is in reasonable shape, we just arent seeing it at the moment.
If these guys are that committed to the cause then lets just hit fast forward so we can get to 2018/9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back