Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine how Leppa would be feeling tonight or what he will present to the board. The board would already know the direction of the club under his coaching surely so I fear this is simply for show.

In my thinking Leppa has been a great list manager yet has not proven himself to get results as a coach. Whether the board are happy to accept facilities, injuries and list imbalance is the overpowering reason will be the only thing that will save him. Then, he has to convince them that he can coach.

There is so many positives but the points against and the win column are simply too hard to accept. I think he will struggle to keep his job.

Will be happy when the board finally decides to punt leppa tomorrow.Great player for us just hasn't got it as a coach.

The end is coming. Whilst I hope both parties handle the next week with class, I believe it's the correct decision. Imagine having the membership departments job of selling hope for next year keeping with status quo!!

Brisbane coach Justin Leppitsch’s future could be decided as early as next week
642747f777b4ae29063551ace9c65a90

ANDREW HAMILTON, The Courier-Mail
12 minutes ago

BRISBANE captain Tom Rockliff will join Lions officials presenting to the club’s board on Tuesday when its review of coach Justin Leppitsch and his football department begins.

The Lions hope to part ways with Leppitsch by mutual agreement before their club champion awards night on Saturday, September 3.

They have decided against engaging outside help for the review, which will be steered by chairman Bob Sharpless, football director Leigh Matthews and CEO Greg Swann.

AFL football operations boss Mark Evans has helped with the review framework.

The Lions have previously stated Tuesday’s meeting was a standard monthly board meeting but Sharpless confirmed the club faced a decision on Leppitsch

Sharpless said Swann, list manager Peter Schwab, football manager Matthew Francis and Rockliff had all been asked to present their views on what has worked this year and what had gone wrong.

“This board meeting is being devoted to the football side of things, given the year we have had,’’ Sharpless said.

“All the board members have been asked to prepare any question they want answered. I am not sure it will be concluded in one meeting.

“I should say Leppa is contracted for 2017, so we will go through the process and then make the decision.’

Sharpless said the club had drawn on Evans’ expertise to prepare a presentation to the AFL on how the Lions would spend an additional $1.2 million on their football department next year.

“We are preparing for what we expect to be a time next year where we will have some extra money to spend on our football department,’’ he said.

The Lions do not want to head into their club champion function with uncertainty over the senior coaching position.

Assistant coaches Simon Black, Gary O’Donnell and NEAFL coach Shane Woewodin will depart after the final match of the year against St Kilda on Sunday.

Lions players will be called in for post-season reviews next Monday and Tuesday and the club hopes to settle the Leppitsch issue by Wednesday.

The majority of the board now accepts change is needed. The final straw was the shocking 138-point loss to Adelaide in Round 20.

There is hope among senior figures that Leppitsch agrees it is in his best interests and that of the club to part company.

What must be negotiated is the third-year coach’s payout, which could be as much as $400,000. Leppitsch has overseen 14 wins from 65 games.

The end is coming. Whilst I hope both parties handle the next week with class, I believe it's the correct decision. Imagine having the membership departments job of selling hope for next year keeping with status quo!!

12 minutes ago

BRISBANE captain Tom Rockliff will join Lions officials presenting to the club’s board on Tuesday when its review of coach Justin Leppitsch and his football department begins.

The Lions hope to part ways with Leppitsch by mutual agreement before their club champion awards night on Saturday, September 3.

They have decided against engaging outside help for the review, which will be steered by chairman Bob Sharpless, football director Leigh Matthews and CEO Greg Swann.

The Lions have previously stated Tuesday’s meeting was a standard monthly board meeting but Sharpless confirmed the club faced a decision on Leppitsch

Sharpless said Swann, list manager Peter Schwab, football manager Matthew Francis and Rockliff had all been asked to present their views on what has worked this year and what had gone wrong.

“This board meeting is being devoted to the football side of things, given the year we have had,’’ Sharpless said.

“All the board members have been asked to prepare any question they want answered. I am not sure it will be concluded in one meeting.

“I should say Leppa is contracted for 2017, so we will go through the process and then make the decision.’

Sharpless said the club had drawn on Evans’ expertise to prepare a presentation to the AFL on how the Lions would spend an additional $1.2 million on their football department next year.

“We are preparing for what we expect to be a time next year where we will have some extra money to spend on our football department,’’ he said.

The Lions do not want to head into their club champion function with uncertainty over the senior coaching position.

Assistant coaches Simon Black, Gary O’Donnell and NEAFL coach Shane Woewodin will depart after the final match of the year against St Kilda on Sunday.

Lions players will be called in for post-season reviews next Monday and Tuesday and the club hopes to settle the Leppitsch issue by Wednesday.

The majority of the board now accepts change is needed. The final straw was the shocking 138-point loss to Adelaide in Round 20.

There is hope among senior figures that Leppitsch agrees it is in his best interests and that of the club to part company.

What must be negotiated is the third-year coach’s payout, which could be as much as $400,000. Leppitsch has overseen 14 wins from 65 games.

Interesting......

Are you shocked by any of that mate?

Fook yeah! What I highlighted...

12 minutes ago

i have swayed every second day on the leppa issue and have thought lately that he should probably go, but gee i felt really down reading that, it sounds like he is gone.

it will be an interesting few days after the saints game on sunday.

Assuming Leppa is gone, I wonder if an announcement will be made during the week, and the team can play without pressure. Of course they might all slack off and we get flogged by 100 points.

i have swayed every second day on the leppa issue and have thought lately that he should probably go, but gee i felt really down reading that, it sounds like he is gone.

it will be an interesting few days after the saints game on sunday.

Dunno....reading what I highlighted and listening to Brownie on the couch....presently looking for the odds for keeping his job...might just have a healthy wager on it.

Dunno....reading what I highlighted and listening to Brownie on the couch....presently looking for the odds for keeping his job...might just have a healthy wager on it.
i was just thinking wouldn't it be a turn up if they come out on wednesday and announced leppa will be staying on with an increased coaching department and then in the trade period a couple of senior playing figures are moved on as TBD suggested should be the case a while ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there is now a certain inevitability for Leppa departing and I really have no idea if it is the right thing or not. It probably is, if only to give us a new era (yet again) with a bit more certainty. Another year of Leppa trying to survive will do him or the team little good. Doesn't make it pleasant to get rid of him but it might be time.

What I hope for most is the following:

- With as much dignity and empathy as possible, whoever has to go (Leppa and any others) is treated well on their departure. I see this as a change done in sadness rather than anger. Give everyone their dignity.

- the removal of a coach has to also allow for the removal of some problems within the club. Not that Leppa is responsible for all our problems, far from it. But just changing one face, with all the same problems will take us nowhere new. With a coach change has to be enough other change to make it all worth the while. Culturally, we must be better than we are now.

- we need to know that whoever comes in keeps those things that are our strengths. The Lamberts for example have proven their value. Let us not go all scorched earth on the club where we don't need to.

- the players have to commit to the decision the board takes regardless of how they feel about Leppa as an individual. They are allowed to mourn his loss while also being excited at the prospect of a new era. They must be on board, especially the senior players. If not, some may have to go as well.

- the new coach has to be appointed carefully but fairly quickly. We want to know that the preseason will be properly planned by a new head coach. I would expect a new coach will have some input on trading and drafting. All of which means an appointed coach in place by sometime in October I would hope.

And if Leppa stays - we still need a new era. This simply MUST be a turning point.

I can't imagine how Leppa would be feeling tonight or what he will present to the board. The board would already know the direction of the club under his coaching surely so I fear this is simply for show.

In my thinking Leppa has been a great list manager yet has not proven himself to get results as a coach. Whether the board are happy to accept facilities, injuries and list imbalance is the overpowering reason will be the only thing that will save him. Then, he has to convince them that he can coach.

There is so many positives but the points against and the win column are simply too hard to accept. I think he will struggle to keep his job.
I for one, definitely hop Leppa gets another year to show what he's got. I doubt there are many options out there anyway. (If they went for Malthouse for example) I am DEFINITELY becoming a SUN's supporter. One thing is for certain imo ... If they sack Leppa, it will put us back another 2+ years from making finals, no players would ever want to come here due to lack of stability, and whole club becomes an even bigger laughing stock. Risk one more year with Leppa and be on track for finals in 2 to 3 years or sack Lepp, and do list rebuild again, new playing style, coaches etc ..... And then sack that coach in 3 years because ZERO chance we will be competitive, get new coach, do rebuild .... Play like crap & then sack them after 3 years !! Just sounds great.

12 minutes ago

I for one won't be renewing membership if they sack Leppa, as we WILL be much worse, and back to square one again.

I get a feeling from listening to Browny that he would be really peed off if Leppa got the sack..
Yeah I got the feeling Browny was just sticking up for his mate when they asked him about that, as opposed to any inside knowledge. On AFL360 last week he virtually conceded Leppa was gone.

Gotta admire that about him though going into bat for his mates. He would've been an awesome teammate to play for and with.

This should also be the end of this recent thing of rolling contracts to apparently remove media speculation and take pressure off the club and coach. There has been just as much speculation and pressure this year as there would have been anyway and the end result is that the club will be out of pocket a bunch of money that it can't afford. If the results are there then the pressure won't be on the coach, leave it at that.

Whilst I hope both parties handle the next week with class, I believe it's the correct decision. Imagine having the membership departments job of selling hope for next year keeping with status quo!!

Of course the membership department can sell "hope", irrespective of who is coach next year. Good drafting and astute trading will give more hope than merely changing the coach.

Wasn't it reported earlier that Leppitsch was also presenting to the board?

The Lions have previously stated Tuesday’s meeting was a standard monthly board meeting but Sharpless confirmed the club faced a decision on Leppitsch. “I should say Leppa is contracted for 2017, so we will go through the process and then make the decision.’

Surely a 'decision' means it might go either way.

Really? The board - after apparently agreeing to a rebuild and supposedly understanding that would entail short term pain is going to remove the coach that has overseen that rebuild because of a game where a serious premiership contender playing at home beat a much younger side?

Brisbane Lions Age Breakdown: 30+yo: 1; 25-29yo: 6; 21-24yo: 7 18-20yo: 8 (5 teenagers)
Adelaide Crows Age Breakdown: 30+yo: 0; 25-29yo: 8; 21-24yo: 12 18-20yo: 2 (No teenagers)

Experience:
1-20 games. Adelaide: 1 Brisbane: 7
21-50 games. Adelaide: 8 Brisbane: 4
51-100 games. Adelaide: 6 Brisbane: 5
101-150 games. Adelaide: 4 Brisbane: 5
151-200 games. Adelaide: 2 Brisbane: 1
200+ games. Adelaide: 1 Brisbane: 0

Leppitsch has already said he won't be resigning hasn't he? Hasn't he also said that he trusts Matthews to tell it to him straight and as of Sunday Leppitsch knew nothing about his contract not being honoured.

What must be negotiated is the third-year coach’s payout, which could be as much as $400,000.

If he is going to be sacked why would Leppitsch accept anything less than what he is owed?

This should also be the end of this recent thing of rolling contracts to apparently remove media speculation and take pressure off the club and coach. There has been just as much speculation and pressure this year as there would have been anyway and the end result is that the club will be out of pocket a bunch of money that it can't afford. If the results are there then the pressure won't be on the coach, leave it at that.

Agree, pressure comes from lack of results. If you are Alistair Clarkson you won't hear a thing if you're out of contract (other than clubs lining up to poach you), and if you deliver consistently poor results questions will get asked regardless.

Fair enough. What do you suggest the club does trying to get the ones back who clearly dropped off this year when we were getting crowds between 10-15k?
Of course it's all about selling hope ..... Just tell me the name of ANY gettable coach who is going to be able to do that. I'd be bringing in structural support for Leppa (mentor type person), and have the Board come out and state that we will spend full amount, give some good news..... New training facility for example. Of course the AFL has a HUGE part to play in this after screwing us over. A fair draw would be nice ! And if we don't get a Priority pick, particularly with the go home to mummy factor, and the incredibly unfortunate forced retirement of Clarke .. Then no one will ever get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back