Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose it matters how many we are dealing with. If it is one or two the answer would seem to be trading them out and hopefully get something good for them. If we start talking more than that, it is on a scale that would mean gutting the senior players of the team. How do we even go about doing that?

Just when I keep thinking we must have reached our lowest point I realise sadly...not yet. Close....but not yet.

Depends who the one or two are!

Depends who the one or two are!
if TBD is on the money re there being "a rot in our leadership ranks" IMO it doesn't matter who it is they have to go whether Leppa is here or not.

from memory i think TBD was talking/implying that the problem was with Rocky and Pearce.

if TBD is on the money re there being "a rot in our leadership ranks" IMO it doesn't matter who it is they have to go whether Leppa is here or not.

from memory i think TBD was talking/implying that the problem was with Rocky and Pearce.

Yeah I know who they are, but how do you sell getting rid of 'one or two causing issues' if it's them?

Tough sell.

Paul Roos today warned clubs, such as ours, who do decide an overhaul is necessary to expect some pain along the way.

"Any footy club getting the right people can move up the ladder. But it does take time,"

"When I look back there was this theory Paul Roos is here – it's going to turn around really quickly. It just doesn't happen in footy."

"It doesn't happen overnight, just because you put one person in a role. Everyone's got to embrace it and it takes time, and you've got to build it from the ground up.

"Hopefully we've got a foundation moving forward to go into a sustained period of success."

"What you want to do is set your team up, develop your side so when you get in the finals you're able to attack the finals and you're able to do what Hawthorn and Sydney have done and stay there for a period of time and you give yourself four or five cracks at winning a premiership,"

"That's what we want to achieve and there shouldn't be any pressure on Simon (Goodwin) to play finals next year,"

Leppitsch has certainly started that process by overseeing the retirements and delistings of a considerable number of the list he inherited. Roos probably would have adopted a similar approach, although in Melbourne's case, part of the process appears to have been completed before his arrival.

Last edited:
Yeah I know who they are, but how do you sell getting rid of 'one or two causing issues' if it's them?

Tough sell.
purely hypothetical-

Rocky to the suns (they need some experienced mids now) for pick 5. if we got that i would be using it in the draft and try and get in an experienced mid through trade eg. Brendan Whitecross.

Pearce to the giants for T.Mohr and pick 14.

purely hypothetical-

Rocky to the suns (they need some experienced mids now) for pick 5. if we got that i would be using it in the draft and try and get in an experienced mid through trade eg. Brendan Whitecross.

To members, I mean...

Paul Roos today warned clubs, such as ours, who do decide an overhaul is necessary to expect some pain along the way.

"Any footy club getting the right people can move up the ladder. But it does take time,"

"When I look back there was this theory Paul Roos is here – it's going to turn around really quickly. It just doesn't happen in footy."

"It doesn't happen overnight, just because you put one person in a role. Everyone's got to embrace it and it takes time, and you've got to build it from the ground up.

"Hopefully we've got a foundation moving forward to go into a sustained period of success."

"What you want to do is set your team up, develop your side so when you get in the finals you're able to attack the finals and you're able to do what Hawthorn and Sydney have done and stay there for a period of time and you give yourself four or five cracks at winning a premiership,"

"That's what we want to achieve and there shouldn't be any pressure on Simon (Goodwin) to play finals next year,"

Leppitsch has certainly started that process by overseeing the retirements and delistings of a considerable number of the list he inherited. Roos probably would have adopted a similar approach, although in Melbourne's case, part of the process appears to have been completed before his arrival.
i was all for the retaining of Leppa a few months ago, then we had a run of home game floggings with an average score against of 145, that was the final straw re my doubt on Leppas coaching ability.

you put forward some great arguments/reasons for the retention of Leppa Roylion, if he was to stay i would be fine with it, but gee wouldn't the pressure be on next year.

you put forward some great arguments/reasons for the retention of Leppa Roylion, if he was to stay i would be fine with it, but gee wouldn't the pressure be on next year.

And quite rightly. At some point there has to be improvement in on-field results. A new coach may well come in and change the direction we've set. God forbid we trade our experienced players, such as Hanley and Rockliff in favor of another 'rebuild'.

A couple of extra key defenders and another forward, another pre-season under their belts, a reasonable run with injury plus a reasonable early draw and who knows.

Tough sell.
There has and never will be a better time to do it though. From attendances, only the real faithful are sticking fat now anyway. I would expect all those to either accept they are partially responsible for where we're at, or at least that those sort of trades are just part of the BIG changes going on (supported by the club review).
Those who don't see it, hopefully won't be too far away when thing inevitably improve.

Unless you mean selling it to the other players, which could be another potential issue, but internally I hope the reasons would be explained honestly and those who have bought in (which seems to be a fair number) will embrace it and their new captain.

Whatever the case, I agree that if it is literally only the one or two, cut the ****ers loose. Now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough sell.

To be honest if it's easy enough to bullet a coach it's easy enough to bullet senior players. It has to be...

If we want to make this change count then everyone has to be a target. People might raise an eyebrow if we swept the place clean but doing it one foul swoop would at least show we were serious about it this time.

New coaches and two new senior stars - that is a huge upheaval and may annoy a few.

I agree we may as well if that's how the club feels, but I'd be wary of backlash because I don't think we can say "and everything will be fine in 2017".

purely hypothetical-

I know you love throwing up trade scenarios but is it really necessary in this thread?

And quite rightly. At some point there has to be improvement in on-field results. A new coach may well come in and change the direction we've set. God forbid we trade our experienced players, such as Hanley and Rockliff in favor of another 'rebuild'.

A couple of extra key defenders and another forward, another pre-season under their belts, a reasonable run with injury plus a reasonable early draw and who knows.

If you're a fan of Leppitsch staying on, and you understand his "vision", you'll realise it's been the same rebuild all along, and he's building it around the 2013-17 drafts. Leppitsch is more likely to move on senior players like Rockliff or Hanley if he feels they're not the best leaders to those younger players, than a new coach who may come in and change direction and want to keep them.

Minor list patch-ups and just hoping for good draws and less injuries is not the way to fix this long term.

Last edited:
As much as Browny likes to be seen as a brutal hitter, he isn't ever going to dog one of his premiership mates. They're his brothers in blood.
Yeah I get that and I admire that in him but he seemed to infer he knew more about the situation then just 'going into bat' for his mate.

Leppitsch’s former teammate Jonathan Brown said on Melbourne radio he believed his premiership-winning comrade was a “good chance’’ of retaining his job.

“I do believe that because Leigh Matthews is the powerbroker up in Queensland and Leigh Matthews is loyal, he’s a stayer, he (Leppitsch) is recontracted along with the Brisbane board for another year, so I think there’s a good chance Leppitsch will stay,’’ Brown said.

To members, I mean...
Wouldn't necessarily be the easiest sell, however, if they worked along the lines of "These players direction no longer aligned with that of the club, we needed bigger, wholesale changes in order to move forward" followed by "Oh and look at these flashy new draft picks and/or players we have got in return" members would probably move on pretty quickly. Plus as Skoob pointed out, it seems like we have a group of 10,000-14,000 rusted on members who will back the club in and understand that changes need to be made. I'm sure the angry Facebook mob will come out to play with pitchforks, however, how many of them are paying members who regularly attend games? Some would be no doubt but a lot of them are angry casual fans.

I too, like many others are of the opinion that in order to move forward, we need to cull a few senior players who think they are bigger than the club and are more than happy to berate younger players for failing to adhere to standards without adhering to those standards themselves due to the mindset that their spot in the senior side is safe and they can merely rock up, collect their hefty pay cheque and head home content. Enough is enough. We need to make a big statement in order to move forward. Just look at the Bulldogs moving on the likes of Griffen, Cooney and Higgins and you'll see that it isn't necessarily football suicide to cull a few underperforming senior stars.

Yeah I get that and I admire that in him but he seemed to infer he knew more about the situation then just 'going into bat' for his mate.

Leppitsch’s former teammate Jonathan Brown said on Melbourne radio he believed his premiership-winning comrade was a “good chance’’ of retaining his job.

“I do believe that because Leigh Matthews is the powerbroker up in Queensland and Leigh Matthews is loyal, he’s a stayer, he (Leppitsch) is recontracted along with the Brisbane board for another year, so I think there’s a good chance Leppitsch will stay,’’ Brown said.

Ugggh... boys club loyalty over a review and correct process. What has one persons LOYALTY to another got to do with a critical decision in our clubs history? Nothing, nothing is the answer, for those wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back