Is Manchester the greatest musical city in the world?

Is Manchester the greatest Musical City in the world?

• Yes, the pride of Manchester

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - i know better

• Where is Manchester?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yardbirds formed in London with London members except for McCarty.

The Zombies were from St Albans in Hertfordshire in the South East.

With a large population as London has you'd expect great artists, the North-West's hit rateis larger i'd say. And the fact that Kate Nash and Lily Allen have put me off Londoners somewhat

With a large population as London has you'd expect great artists, the North-West's hit rateis larger i'd say. And the fact that Kate Nash and Lily Allen have put me off Londoners somewhat

Madness wins it for me.

Camden Town :thumbsu:

And if you call it the N-W you have to take in the S-E for its entirity too.

Ok lets include the whole north east of the USA then as well. Or how about the west/mid west. We'll throw all te scandinavian countries as one city too. That should liven things up.

Manchester for me is.

Oasis.
Stone Roses.
The Smiths.

Three of my fav bands.

Dont mind the sound of The Courteeners either. Something happening there.

Los Angeles

Rage Against The Machine
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Audioslave
The Doors
The Eagles
Guns N Roses
Incubus
Janes Addiction
Metallica
Megadeth
Mars Volta
Motley Crue
Slayer
Tool
System of A Down
Van Halen

plenty more if you include rap artists...

Los Angeles

Rage Against The Machine
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Audioslave
The Doors
The Eagles
Guns N Roses
Incubus
Janes Addiction
Metallica
Megadeth
Mars Volta
Motley Crue
Slayer
Tool
System of A Down
Van Halen

plenty more if you include rap artists...

Killer list that, but i think The Mars Volta are from Texas. But Tool and Janes Addiction make that list look great :)

LA raises an interesting point.

Does a city get credit for the bands from whom their artists aren't from there originally?

I mean none of Guns N Roses originals members were from LA

Jim Morrison/Ray Manzarek
Glen Frey/Don Henley
Anthony Kiedis/Flea
Lars Ulrich
Eddie Van Halen
Chris Cornell

And so on...

Does London get to claim the Rolling Stones even though they are from Dartford in Kent?

Know, first things first, lets try and keep Oasis discussion out of this thread, we have our own thread for album talk, tour dates, the width of Noel's eyebrows, etc, etc.

Now, one city in England has produced an amazing amount of successful bands, now, you may not like some of these bands, but they have all had success and the music has been good enough to appeal to a wide range of people and break into several countries.

Here is a list of bands to come out of Manchester.

Joy Division/New Order
Oasis
The Verve
The Stone Roses
The Chemical Brothers
The Smiths
Happy Mondays

That is quite a roll call, so i challenge anyone to come up with a better list from a different city, hopefully we can get some ripper lists.

Why are joy division and new order listed like they're the same band and or interchangeable :confused: the happy mondays, oasis and the verve suck testicles.

I rate the smiths, stone roses, chemical brothers and joy division from your list but i would not call manchester the greatest musical city in the world. Man what about new orleans and some of the other yanky doodle cities that created blues and rock n roll.

Why are joy division and new order listed like they're the same band and or interchangeable :confused: the happy mondays, oasis and the verve suck testicles.

I rate the smiths, stone roses, chemical brothers and joy division from your list but i would not call manchester the greatest musical city in the world. Man what about new orleans and some of the other yanky doodle cities that created blues and rock n roll.
[Sigh] You have a lot to learn nicky. When the great man hung himself, the band changed their name, and New Order was born. (Nodding head in disapproval.) I expected you to know that.

[Sigh] You have a lot to learn nicky. When the great man hung himself, the band changed their name, and New Order was born. (Nodding head in disapproval.) I expected you to know that.

:rolleyes:

No way would i say the bands are close. Once ian curtis died so did joy division. I do not CARE what the other band members went on to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

YEAH SO THEY'RE HARDLY THE SAME BAND, HENCE MY INITIAL POINT. My god you're draining. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
NO, THEY WERE PRETTY MUCH THE SAME BAND. THEY WERE ALL THE SAME MEMBERS, AND THEY DIDN'T REPLACE IAN WITH A SINGER FROM ANOTHER BAND. SO NICKY, THEY WERE EXACTLY THE SAME BAND JUST WITHOUT IAN. GO AWAY, AND DO NOT QUOTE ME ANYMORE. IT'S REALLY ANNOYING NOW.

Oasis suck and you rate the chemical brothers? You sir, are an idiot.

Oasis suck and you rate the chemical brothers? You sir, are an idiot.
I second that one champ.:thumbsu: Oasis and The Verve do not suck. Nicky couldn't even name a Verve song, let alone an album. But if she can manage that extraordinary feat, she will probably go on to say they are a one song band. That would really be funny.:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Manchester the greatest musical city in the world?

Back