Is Mercuri gone...

Remove this Banner Ad

funkycol

Rookie
Jul 14, 2003
Other Teams
Port Adelaide.....anyone really
couldnt get to the game on the weekend, but seen some highlights (lowlights maybe) of Mercuri's game...didnt look good was he that bad, or did he go ok. It seems he may be on the way out, which is a shame as i always thought he was a great player.... Is he gone as a league player?

Mercs had a SHOCKER on the weekend...:(

Terrible, James Davies could have played better....

But I don't think he is gone. What he cannot do is come back from a break and immediately hit top gear (goodness knows he has proved that enough times). He requires at least three games to get himself going.

He has been a good servant of the club (Great up until the last few injury riddled years). He is a magic player when on song. If we are to give the flag a real shot (rather than just fill a spot in the eight), than Mercuri needs to be there and in form.

Give him time, I think he deserves it, and I think the EFC will be rewarded for it.:D

Originally posted by Rogue Bomber
Give him time, I think he deserves it, and I think the EFC will be rewarded for it.:D

He certainly does deserve a second chance - after all he has given the club over the years. I also think that he would be a handy finals player - he has the experience that we need, with all the young kids coming through - we need a few experienced players to guide them come September :)

No way we need Mercuri. Think of all the times he hasn't stood up when we have needed him, what makes you think September (should we get there) will be any different? I do feel sad though as it may not have been his own fault - ever since his brother died he has gone downhill. Mark could have been anything..but unfortunately he hasn't done as well as he could have.

Originally posted by bozza
No way we need Mercuri. Think of all the times he hasn't stood up when we have needed him, what makes you think September (should we get there) will be any different

simply because he has been there before and knows what its like to play finals footy - something most of our young'uns haven't experienced.

IMHO i think that we need players like Misiti, Hird, Fletch and Mecuri fully fit for the finals to have any chance - purely to guide our younger players around the park, teaching them what finals footy is all about.

Mercuri has done jack **** for 3 years. He has been hammered physically ever since he was a teenager and its cathing up with him. He has lost a yard of pace that he used to use to dance around defenders.

By the way the comment about davies playing better than him, i know that was in jest but davies played well for bendigo and might just take merc's spot this week.

had a bad one last week with little ground time but I thought he was fantastic against Melbourne the week before, give him another week.

Come on fellas, yuz sound like a bunch of negative nancies. If you love watching your team and have watched Essendon for a while you would have seen as I have seen, Mercs do some magical things on the football field, the type of moments when your hair stands up on the back of your neck. Now he may have lost a lot of pace, but he hasn't lost that magic, maybe just temporarily replaced it.... He is what he is. You don't lose the ability to play.
I don't know if you guys watched Merc's play when he went back to the VFL, he was f'n good for 3 quarters, the pace definately isn't AFL level, but it wasn't his lack of pace that was most noticable, it was his football thinking, he did a lot of clever things, brought his teammates into the play, took strong marks and really showed a lot of presence on the ground and there were even a few of those 'magical' moments to savour. Give him a chance. He will play some good football for us yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Mercuri gone...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back