AFL Autopsy R20: Smashed by the Saints, and the season is cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Blitz is saying Rama on the ABC said the players didn't react well to be given a baking during the week and that might explain today's attitude.
How would they respond to losing their jobs. FFS they are supposed to be professional footy players. When are they going to start acting like it. I have never heard such bullshit. We are being held to ransom by weak insipid snowflakes if this is even a little bit true...

The Blitz is saying Rama on the ABC said the players didn't react well to be given a baking during the week and that might explain today's attitude.
Oh didums, the poor little kiddies got a bake. I hope no one raised their voices at the poor players. Why should we expect some effort, it’s not like they are paid lots of money to play. Is it?

Why would they care?
What's he gonna do? Put them into the seconds?

There is apparently no one else to play, why should they care.
Of course there is. We have a whole list beyond the 23 that played tonight?

Of course there is. We have a whole list beyond the 23 that played tonight?

I don't believe there is mate, I had a look through the changes this year and it appears that it's the same names that kept coming up and being played in the same positions. Even when things were going bad, so I couldn't really see any others.

Not sure if there has been some error and we are playing with a smaller list than others.
I don't think it's the club's fault, because how could it be?
But something's up.

You want to see 30% kicking efficiency ?
It is also not just his kicking. He has had a lot of injuries in the last 3 years that have stalled his physical development and was also had some serious issues with his defensive game and transition. He would 1000% have had less impact than Parish.
Hobbs should have played and Parish should have started in the VFL tomorrow.
OK, you have identified his weaknesses. But it's not like we have a senior side filled with players who don't also have blatant shortcomings. I just wonder if, given the season is spiralling down, we couldn't give him a block of games to see what positives he has got. And as I read the reports, he had consistently put in solid performances ay VFL level. And a run of games in the seniors would at worst Gove the coaching staff material to show him what he needs to work on.
Earlier in the season you identified he was dropped because he didn't go when it was his turn. I have seen several instances this season where Nick Cox did likewise, yet kept his spot. Fair enough to send a message, but it needs to apply across the board.

OK, you have identified his weaknesses. But it's not like we have a senior side filled with players who don't also have blatant shortcomings. I just wonder if, given the season is spiralling down, we couldn't give him a block of games to see what positives he has got. And as I read the reports, he had consistently put in solid performances ay VFL level. And a run of games in the seniors would at worst Gove the coaching staff material to show him what he needs to work on.
Earlier in the season you identified he was dropped because he didn't go when it was his turn. I have seen several instances this season where Nick Cox did likewise, yet kept his spot. Fair enough to send a message, but it needs to apply across the board.
I think if they play Tsatas now they basically destroy any confidence he has left. He just is not ready . Get him to the end of the year in the VFL. Get another pre season into him.
I agree with Cox . Not sure he likes physical contact. He has been lucky he has done just enough good stuff to swing it in his favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could not believe that stat with the year pretty much on the line at half time. You would have hoped they come out breathing fire and going hard after everything.

That loss against Adelaide broke us I think.

I know, but who? Who is a natural fire breather? Durham? He will wreck himself before he wrecks anyone else and its the same for Caldwell.

Scott's problem is that he thinks words can overcome biology. He may not think of it in these terms but it is true. How has he used the selection table to drive standards? Or is he genuinely that dumb that he cant see the difference between hard ball and loose ball? Or does he think a forward line with no run is sustainable?

He's not a resultist but has added how many kids to the team this year? That's for the long term, is it?

None of this is forgiveable. It's all sackable. He's been a senior coach for more than a decade.

You can't transplant a culture of competitiveness / hardball onto players who do not have that natural instinct. The culture is driven by and reflects the players. It has to be that way. Our culture reflects the spoogey players that are selected each week.

Scary thing is that we still haven't admitted we have a problem.

What is our 1 wood when we are good? What are we going to fall back on to win games when were challenging? If you can even identify a 1 wood go and look at the competition.

We are almost certainly stuck in this mire for another decade. Not because it takes a long time to build a style and list, Hawthorn has rebuilt in 2 seasons, for example, but it will require at least the end of this era, which is about 5 years, and then 5 years to build from scratch because the most likely way that happens is spending some time on the bottom accumulating top picks.

It's really a minimum 10 years. Do you expect the club to be picking decent players as soon as 2029?

Last edited:
You cannot be serious.

These players need to be named, shamed and shown the door. I've had enough of this nonsense.

The coach let it fester for a whole season.

He let the standards fester and he's let the game plan fester, too.

Now he has to undo all of that.

He doesnt seem to understand that he doesn't have the luxury of the Zen bullshit spouted by his brother.

Brad was a better coach as an unprepared 32 year old because at least his instincts were good and he coached by his instincts. The Zen Brad is exactly the wrong coach for this group.

He conned the people who appointed him, without a process, into thinking they were getting the original Brad Scott. We did not sign up for this twat.

And, it's far too late to be throwing hissyfits. If only I could tell you what I have heard he was telling the players just a few weeks ago. It's bloody hilarious.

I know, but who? Who is a natural fire brbreather? Durham? He will wreck himself before he wrecks anyone else and its the same for Caldwell.

Scott's problem is that he thinks words can overcome biology. He may not think of it in these terms but it is true. How has he used the selection table to drive standards? Or is he genuinely that dumb that he cant see the difference between hard ball and loose ball? Or does he think a forward line with no run is sustainable?

He's not a resultist but has added how many kids to the team this year? That's for the long term, is it?

None of this is forgiveable. It's all sackable. He's been a senior coach for more than a decade.

You can't transplant a culture of competitiveness / hardball onto players who do not have that natural instinct. The culture is driven by and reflects the players. It has to be that way. Our culture reflects the spoogey players that are selected each week. Scary thing is that we still haven't admitted we have a problem.

What is our 1 wood when we are good? What are we going to fall back on to win games. Then go and look at the competition.

We are almost certainly stuck in this mire for another decade. Not because it takes a long time to build a style and list, Hawthorn has rebuilt in 2 seasons, but it will require at least the end of this era, which is about 5 years, and then 5 years to build from scratch because the most likely way that happens is spending some time on the bottom accumulating top picks.

It's really a minimum 10 years.
Hawthorn has not rebuilt its list in 2 years. Not going to argue with any of the rest but the Hawks have actually been rebuilding since Clarkson's last year which was 4 years ago and guys like Hardwicke , Moore , Worpel , Day and Maginness where all from previous drafts. What they did 2 years ago was move out some more older guys. They have drafted well in the last two years but this rebuild dates back a few more years than 2.
Of course it is still going to be quicker than anything we seem to be doing.

Real end of 2023 flashbacks. Keep playing squibs like Heppell like they’re a dynasty team and you’ll get the same result next year. Just frightening how little the team has changed over the past 2 years despite being repeatedly failing at the business end of the season

cowards? Who cares where we sit on the ladder have you seen the habits of the experienced core? Have you seen the way they are playing ? Who we have lost to? We deserve to finish bottom 3

Yes I have unfortunately, I’ve smelt the cowardice seeping out of their pores as I sit mere meters from the boundary line at home games…

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy R20: Smashed by the Saints, and the season is cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back