Is Rowan Jones Finished?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2004
Other Teams
WEST COAST
What do you think?

If you look at the other threads that list our best 22 or best 24, it's hard to find a place for Rowan Jones.

I just can't see him getting a regular game this year.

There are just so many players ahead of him - and with so many young guys looking for an opportunity (Morton, Selwood, Nicoski), I reckon this could be his last year.

Maybe the Dockers will pick him up for 2006.

He's far from the best player, but with our current list that's not bad.

He has some great moments and whilst not a star isn't finished.

Stinger has taken the last role that Jones was reasonable at for us. If Stinger gets injured, Jones will get a game.

• Banned
Jabber said:
Stinger has taken the last role that Jones was reasonable at for us. If Stinger gets injured, Jones will get a game.

I disagree - there are guys ahead of Jones for those spots.

The obvious one is Chick (who I don't rate that highly), but then I reckon Waters, Selwood, even B. Jones would all be used as mid-sized defenders/taggers before R. Jones.....

One bad season and the knives are out! Have we perhaps found a popular replacement for Trent?

If Jones can recapture the form he showed in the latter part of 2003 when he was one of very few of our players who stood up to be counted, he's in our best 22. Its impossible to deny that Jones had an awful 2004, but he's still only 25, has put in some great football for us in the past, and certainly isn't over the hill. His poor 2004 should see him at Claremont at the start of 2005, but I'd be very surprised if that's it for Jones - he's been a hard worker at the Eagles, and that always stands in good stead.

SYDNEY_EAGLE said:
I disagree - there are guys ahead of Jones for those spots.

The obvious one is Chick (who I don't rate that highly), but then I reckon Waters, Selwood, even B. Jones would all be used as mid-sized defenders/taggers before R. Jones.....

Chick is already in the side IMO (I do rate him highly), therefore he is out of the equation.

I find it interesting that you have already consigned a 100 game veteran behind three players with less than 10 games under their belt, after one ordinary year.

Rowan Jones still gets the nod for a run-with role ahead of Waters, Selwood & B. Jones based on proven form in that role.

Rowan Jones isnt getting any younger and theres a heap of young fellas around, but i dont see how anyone can say he is finished. He is a good honest contributor to the team so i dont see why he cant play for another couple of years yet, form and fitness permitting.

Rowan Jones has fallen under the Cometti curse. Cometti decided that Clive Waterhouse was his favourite player and he was all washed up within 2-3 years. He then changed to Rowan Jones about 2 years ago so he is on target to be finished about the end of 2005.

He is a very good mark, and if he can recapture his top form he would be a real asset at HF. However, he isn't even a remote chance of playing in our midfield, and will probably be pushed out of any defensive spot due to his lack of speed, and by the emergence of guys like McConnell, Graham and Waters. Really needs to be on the ball from day one, or could see himself spending extended periods of time in the WAFL, especially if we are winning and there's no need to mess with the structure.

not in my best 22 when the list is fully fit and i cant see him being in woosha's either. his only position IMO is HF. will play around 10 games and compete with guys like adkins, butler, mcconnell and morton. has to dramatically improve his kicking next year.

Not in the best 22 but not that far out of it either. Best position for him is on a HFF and I would think he would be ahead of Adkins in that position but Butler and Embley would be ahead of him. I think the run with role is better suited to players like Chick, Stenglein and Selwood and his lack of a defensive side will ensure he doesn't get a run down back.

Jones will bounce back after having a dismal 2004 and will add extra pressure on those in our best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TRIGGAMAN said:
No man! ....no.

Funny how after a bit of a dodgy year the knives come out.

He has had more than one dodgy year, not just more than one at a time. Two in a row would be terminal.

Not yet but

His best position is HFF. Takes a strong grab and does all the 1 percenters but needs to improve his disposal to get back in the starting lineup i reckon.

I think it says more about how good our list is now rather than how bad Jones has become. It's about who you would drop for him... and its tough. Just like I cant see how Morton,Gaspar, McConnell, etc etc etc are all going to get games in our team now.

I wouldn't right him off yet, he'll have Woosha's backing too, a highly regarded bloke around the club.

In the yearbook, in Woosha's season wrap up, he says of Rowan -

"Rowan Jones was disappointed with his season, so certainly he wants to add more value"

He'll get a chance - remember rookies are unpredictable, nothing is set in stone with any of those lads they could easily lose some form and be in the WAFL for a stint, that's generally how it goes.

One guy Jones might be vying for a position in the team with is Josh Wooden, interestingly Wooden got a big nod from Woosha in the same piece -

"For Josh Wooden to bounce back from 2 broken collarbones to win the best clubman award was a remarkable performance and also indicative of the role he played in the West Coast Eagles winning 8 of the last 9 qualifying rounds"

Wooden picked up 102 (19th) B&F votes from 9 games to Jones' 90 (22nd) from 16 - which only beat Brent Staker amoung those who played 15+ games. So Jonesy could be up against it getting past his more experienced team mates regardless of rookie form.

That all said, if Jones has another below average year, he could well be in strife.

TRIGGAMAN said:
No man! ....no.

Funny how after a bit of a dodgy year the knives come out.

There's nothing funny about it - he can no longer command a spot in our best 25 - 28.

He's not going to improve much, and playing as a forward he failed to kick a goal last year.

Where would you play him?

Given that Embley, Kerr and Sampi will all spend time on a HFF this year when not in the midfield, I can't see Rown Jones getting a regular game.

SYDNEY_EAGLE said:
There's nothing funny about it - he can no longer command a spot in our best 25 - 28.

He's not going to improve much, and playing as a forward he failed to kick a goal last year.

Where would you play him?

Given that Embley, Kerr and Sampi will all spend time on a HFF this year when not in the midfield, I can't see Rown Jones getting a regular game.

Ok, now thats too far. Maybe he struggles from time to time but he is in our best 25-28. Actually for mine he is about in the best 25-28.

You can't tell me that at one stage next season we won't have 3-5 players from our best 22 injured or out of form leaving the door open for him. I'd play him on the HFF. I think Embley and Kerr are better suited to more 'midfield' positions. Sampi to start on the bench for mine.

TRIGGAMAN said:
Ok, now thats too far. Maybe he struggles from time to time but he is in our best 25-28. Actually for mine he is about in the best 25-28.

You can't tell me that at one stage next season we won't have 3-5 players from our best 22 injured or out of form leaving the door open for him. I'd play him on the HFF. I think Embley and Kerr are better suited to more 'midfield' positions. Sampi to start on the bench for mine.

Of course Kerr and Embley will play midfield, along with Judd, Cousins, Fletcher, Stenglein, Braun and Butler. Not all of these players will be playing in the midfield all the time, even if you take wingmen into account. Kerr and Embley will both get thrown forward at various times.

Jones is super-average. Look at the guys competing for spots in our forward line. Jones will struggle to play more than 6-7 games in 2005.

coasting said:
Rowan Jones has fallen under the Cometti curse. Cometti decided that Clive Waterhouse was his favourite player and he was all washed up within 2-3 years. He then changed to Rowan Jones about 2 years ago so he is on target to be finished about the end of 2005.

Bad news for Adam Selwood... :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Rowan Jones Finished?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back