Is the Carlton Fremantle rivalry the new GWS Bulldogs rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Yesterday's finish certainly added even more spice to the Dockers Blues rivalry, and I think its shaping up as maybe the most heated modern grudge rivalry in the league. Next time they play will be a big grudge match. Like Bulldogs Giants, it feels more of the animosity is from one team towards the other. I'm an Eagles fan and this has softened me on Freo for the time being anyway, and made me dislike the Blues more when I was kind of riding the fairytale thing a bit. Soured me on them a bit. Even though its not their fault...I think ;).

Yesterday's finish certainly added even more spice to the Dockers Blues rivalry, and I think its shaping up as maybe the most heated modern grudge rivalry in the league. Next time they play will be a big grudge match. Like Bulldogs Giants, it feels more of the animosity is from one team towards the other. I'm an Eagles fan and this has softened me on Freo for the time being anyway, and made me dislike the Blues more when I was kind of riding the fairytale thing a bit. Soured me on them a bit. Even though its not their fault...I think ;).
Need a close final for that I think.

Don't think there is a rivalry as a Carlton supporter

Why is there a rivalry between us? Honestly, trying to be as nice as possible, Freo are a highly irrelevant team to us. They've never done anything to us, and we've never done anything to them. I don't understand why they hate us? What because we've beat them a few times lately? So what? What about all the other teams that beat them consistently?

There is no rivalry, they can hate us for whatever reason, but reality is, they are so far down our list of teams we hate/rivals, even saint kilda is more relevant then them.

I don’t think Carlton supporters think about Freo to be honest. I really like them. They seem to hate us even before yesterday though.

North is another one that puzzles me sometimes, they seem to hate us but the average Carlton fan doesn’t think about them ever as far as I can see.

Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond are definitely still the ones most talked about amongst our fans (with much vitriol).

This image sums up the rivalry quite well.

1y4r75.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uhm we did nothing wrong

Their hatred for Cripps is certainly entertaining. Bloke is up there with * over to some of their fans.
Never understood that. Bloke is a sweetheart as a person and a warrior of a player.

Last edited by a moderator:
24 games decided by 31 pts or less, largest margin 77, 21-20 h2h. Carlton only beat Freo once outside WA during 2002-2020. Even during the Neesham/Drum years there were a couple clashes I remember like R3 1996 R9 1997 and R1 2001. Even their flag hoodoo is similar, with Blues’ last flag and Freo inaugural both 1995.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the Carlton Fremantle rivalry the new GWS Bulldogs rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back