Roast Is the Grand Final going to be available on the 7Plus app?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Or is it going to be the usual shitshow of trying to find an illegal stream somehow, for those of who ditched FTA years ago and moved into the 21st century.

EDIT: Have answered my own question, but the following info may be useful to someone else.

Basically channel seven is actual garbage so you can only watch it on their app if you have the particular devices that they randomly selected out of a hat.

You can watch the AFL Grand Final on the following devices:

• Telstra TV
  • Samsung Tizen (2016 and later)
  • Fetch TV
  • Apple TV
  • PlayStation 4 and 5
  • Android TV / Google TV / Amazon Firestick
  • LG TV

Or is it going to be the usual shitshow of trying to find an illegal stream somehow, for those of who ditched FTA years ago and moved into the 21st century.

EDIT: Have answered my own question, but the following info may be useful to someone else.

Basically channel seven is actual garbage so you can only watch it on their app if you have the particular devices that they randomly selected out of a hat.

• Telstra TV
  • Fetch TV
  • Apple TV
  • PlayStation 4 and 5
  • LG TV
As ever, it’s farcical. Was the same for the 21 GF and this year’s Brownlow. Last year they didn’t even have a streaming platform for the Brownlow.

Lmao, the 7plus solution is farcical.

You can't watch it on a mobile device, so you can't cast it to your tv. According to their link it works on "Google tv" which is a discontinued platform. I have the Google TV app which is useless. I have a Chromecast, but it doesn't work on that either. How ****ing pathetic.

it isn't 1995 anymore, we shouldn't have to watch some ad riddled, low quality piece of shit through a coat hanger antenna.

why isn't the afl available to stream in 4k? a lot of people would fork out $20-$50 just to watch this one game in decent picture quality.

You can't watch it on a mobile device, so you can't cast it to your tv. According to their link it works on "Google tv" which is a discontinued platform. I have the Google TV app which is useless. I have a Chromecast, but it doesn't work on that either. How ******* pathetic.
I have a Google tv + chromecast and tested it during the brownlow. I have a FTA app sideloaded on it, and that seemed to take the feed from their apps (so no brownlow, I got border patrol).
But I have the 7plus app installed and when I opened it, there was a dedicated channel for the Brownlow and there will be one for the Grand Final this week.

Don't know what you mean by discontinued though, the device below is what it works on, and I tested it on mine as did others in the brownlow reddit thread.

1663922216798.png

it isn't 1995 anymore, we shouldn't have to watch some ad riddled, low quality piece of s**t through a coat hanger antenna.

why isn't the afl available to stream in 4k? a lot of people would fork out $20-$50 just to watch this one game in decent picture quality.
probably because they don't film it in 4k for starters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about the AFL live app ? Thats how I watched it last year has anything changed ?
according to AFL.com.au

Fans in Australia can watch the game on TV on Channel 7, on 7Plus for select connected TVs, set-top-boxes and gaming console devices and in 720p HD. The game will also be streamed live on the AFL Live Official App on mobile and tablet devices.

You can't watch it on a mobile device, so you can't cast it to your tv. According to their link it works on "Google tv" which is a discontinued platform. I have the Google TV app which is useless. I have a Chromecast, but it doesn't work on that either. How ******* pathetic.
You might be getting confused there, Google TV is fairly new - it's the successor to Android TV, and also replaces Google Play Movies.

Google TV with the 7Plus app (on an Nvidia Shield TV device) is what I'll be using.

I'd recommend the "Chromecast with Google TV" (the Chromecast with the remote control and GUI) someone else posted above, if anyones looking for a quick fix.

I have a Google tv + chromecast and tested it during the brownlow. I have a FTA app sideloaded on it, and that seemed to take the feed from their apps (so no brownlow, I got border patrol).
But I have the 7plus app installed and when I opened it, there was a dedicated channel for the Brownlow and there will be one for the Grand Final this week.

Don't know what you mean by discontinued though, the device below is what it works on, and I tested it on mine as did others in the brownlow reddit thread.

View attachment 1516121
You might be getting confused there, Google TV is fairly new - it's the successor to Android TV, and also replaces Google Play Movies.

Google TV with the 7Plus app (on an Nvidia Shield TV device) is what I'll be using.

I'd recommend the "Chromecast with Google TV" (the Chromecast with the remote control and GUI) someone else posted above, if anyones looking for a quick fix.
Seems that multiple things have been called Google TV, which is where the confusion probably stems from.

Google TV is the user interface on, and appears in the name of, the latest Chromecasts.

It was also the name of a smart TV operating system, which was itself superseded by Android TV in 2014. Also the name of Google's video on demand service.

Seems that multiple things have been called Google TV, which is where the confusion probably stems from.

Google TV is the user interface on, and appears in the name of, the latest Chromecasts.

It was also the name of a smart TV operating system, which was itself superseded by Android TV in 2014. Also the name of Google's video on demand service.

Hmm yes. I have an older Chromecast, which doesn't work, and Google TV on my phone (which also doesn't work).

I'd need to take a 5 hr return drive to go buy a newer Chromecast unfortunately.

Just jam a couple of coathangers into your aerial slot to pick up the broadcast. Should work fine*

* Will definitely not work and likely break your coat hangers and coax port.
Who cares anyway?
No Pies at the GF.
Best result would be an earthquake.;)
Or everyone gets covid on Friday night.

(some of the above may be just sour grapes, or I may actually wish opposition clubs dire consequence for their temerity!)

• Telstra TV
  • Fetch TV
  • Apple TV
  • PlayStation 4 and 5
  • LG TV
Why would you get rid of FTA when you still needed it? Things don't move on just because you want them to.

Buy a pair of rabbit ears.

Why would you get rid of FTA when you still needed it? Things don't move on just because you want them to.

Buy a pair of rabbit ears.

Rabbit ears won't work. I've got an antenna but the port is faulty. That's never been a problem because there's literally never anything worth watching, except the GF being locked out of streaming.

Lots of people haven't watched FTA for a decade because it's utter trash.

Google tv is available on your local friendly Sony TVs.
Also on my Hisence. Samsung dropped it for whatever piece of shit interface they want to foist on people.

it isn't 1995 anymore, we shouldn't have to watch some ad riddled, low quality piece of s**t through a coat hanger antenna.

I asked a couple of days ago in the GF thread about the PlayStation 4 option sadly with no reply.

You can try a VPN (i.e. free trial) and pay the $40 for the international version. Though I'm not sure if the AFL has become strict and cracked down on VPNs in regards to the official international streams. Maybe someone on BF that's done this can verify how reliable this option is.

VPN Free trial

International stream

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Is the Grand Final going to be available on the 7Plus app?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back