Is there ever a reason to switch teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Loads of Dockers supporters were WCE supporters.

Probably regret their decision now to be a turncoat and are now stuck with a dogshit team.

A lot of the ones that changed from the Eagles were people who wanted to watch AFL footy and actually be able to get into games, or East or South Fremantle supporters. I don't know too many people who go from supporting a very successful club to a very mediocre club because they are straight turncoats

Loads of Dockers supporters were WCE supporters.

Probably regret their decision now to be a turncoat and are now stuck with a dogshit team.
Just lol. More like people that hated the Eagles and the West Coast 'mania' in WA back then were finally given an alternative option for an AFL team they could actually follow.

The people saying no are most likely the types that dont posses the ability to think for themselves and are always dressing the way their mates do, doing dumb shit to impress people and other sheep like behaviour.

Funny story about crossing the border.

My dad and uncle grew up as Port Magpie supporters in the SANFL (far BEFORE any Power came along) and when the Crows formed part of the AFL in 1990, they cheered them on with utter passion as....it was our states first and original AFL team and continued to support them since. They attended every game, became members from the day one and never lost their faith.

Couple of years later, Power join the AFL and since they we're hard Magpies supporters back in the 70s-80s and as kids, they decided to trial being a Port fan for a year as it seemed it was supporting their childhood team (sort of). They attended the first ever Showdown as Port fans in cheap power coloured polos and felt regretful most of the day (lulz).

So during the game, they are half heartingly cheering for the Power against their original team....then suddenly, McLeod scores a ripper. My dad and uncle raise from their seats and scream in joy. The power fans surrounding them, looking confused at them, said "you know Crows just scored right?"

His response was "You better believe they did! We cant do it anymore *uncles name* were Crows fans" and underneath a their tops revealed their Crows jumpers. And since that day, they knew the Crows were forever in their blood and NEVER dreamed of supporting Port again (including the magpies).

Guess even in the darkest moments, the light always guides you home ;)

Living in Western Sydney, I switched from Essendon to GWS when the Giants started. Supporting a local team that I could actually see play more often; and being a part of growing the game up here. Thankful that I did.

When Buddy left I did wonder if I had of been 5 at the time rather than 22 would I have jumped ship? But perhaps that's because growing up as a 90's kid supporting Hawthorn I basically barracked for Dunstall and then Crawford and had either of those guys left I would have been beyond devastated (Cried at JD's last game).

My three month old son was a member 8 hours after he was born (would have been sooner had the club opened earlier my brother tells me). I hope he likes footy for one thing and then I hope his impressionable years don't coincide with GWS/GC dominance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Buddy left I did wonder if I had of been 5 at the time rather than 22 would I have jumped ship? But perhaps that's because growing up as a 90's kid supporting Hawthorn I basically barracked for Dunstall and then Crawford and had either of those guys left I would have been beyond devastated (Cried at JD's last game).

My three month old son was a member 8 hours after he was born (would have been sooner had the club opened earlier my brother tells me). I hope he likes footy for one thing and then I hope his impressionable years don't coincide with GWS/GC dominance.

Part of the reason I changed from Carlton to Geelong when I was 7 was because Jezza left. At least I was smart enough not to follow him to St Kilda lol

I would say:
1. If a new franchise is created in your home town or you have some other affiliation. We should encourage switching at that point I reckon.
2. If you are under 12 (maybe 15 if there is very good reason).
3. If your team, as an organisation, did something unforgivable. I am not sure how I would've responded to the ASADA stuff if an Essendon fan... But I will say I stuck by, but was furious with, Juve after the matchfixing stuff (but more angry at Berlusconi and Milan getting off, relatively, scott free - so really just wanted Juve to get back to get revenge on them)

I wouldn't be able to support anyone other than Carlton. No matter what.

When I was very little I liked both Carlton and West Coast, around the time of the latters inception, but chose Carlton. Still have enjoyed Eagles success over the years, which has helped that a few of my friends play/played for them.

The only reason I 'like' certain other clubs and can enjoy their success is because mates play for them, other than that I am linked to Carlton forever.

I would say:
1. If a new franchise is created in your home town or you have some other affiliation. We should encourage switching at that point I reckon.
2. If you are under 12 (maybe 15 if there is very good reason).
3. If your team, as an organisation, did something unforgivable. I am not sure how I would've responded to the ASADA stuff if an Essendon fan... But I will say I stuck by, but was furious with, Juve after the matchfixing stuff (but more angry at Berlusconi and Milan getting off, relatively, scott free - so really just wanted Juve to get back to get revenge on them)
As for the ASADA stuff and why i choose to stay, it's because the club itself didn't do anything wrong. It's individuals who come and go who did wrong. Plus I've been an Essendon person for too long now

The people saying no are most likely the types that dont posses the ability to think for themselves and are always dressing the way their mates do, doing dumb shit to impress people and other sheep like behaviour.
People who stick with thier team are sheep while the ones one change for success think for themselves? :drunk:

Last edited:
My stepdad moved from Hawthorn to WA in 94, got with my mum in 96 and was diehard hawks fan and passed that to me. We always went to freo games because we hate eagles but ironically enough I became more in love with hawks watching their old vcrs from the 80's while he grew to like freo. Nowadays being here for 20 years he's a full freo man and myself hawthorn, but both have a soft spot for the other side :)

There's too many teams for too little reward in the AFL so I don't blame people for changing teams..
At least in the VFL, winners are spread around more each decade..

I started as a Geelong supporter and changed to Essendon in the mid 90s...

I'm now at the point where I have a second team, being Geelong...

Reason is that Essendon can barely make finals in 15 years so it's too long to wait...that's a pretty pathetic statistic from any AFL club, to be down for that long and it gets a bit boring to be honest.

I think you can be a supporter of the game itself and just admire the skills and even if you have a team, you can still have other teams that you support because at least they will make finals and maybe push to the GF..

For me that is Geelong.

Yeah this era and the 70's are our clubs worst ever period I think.

Knew a guy who switched from Essendon to Geelong after the '90 GF, then back to Essendon after the '93 GF.

He saw GF losses in '90, '92 and missed the '93 flag. Got what he deserved and that's why you don't do it.

like when you're in the supermarket and the other queue looks like it's moving quicker.....

It just depends on your level of passion. If you've swapped teams you just aren't as passionate as real supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there ever a reason to switch teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back